• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering the good side

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
I thought I would start this thread to give all the good points about fostering. As I know there is a rescue in Scotland and who needs fosterers and BARCS, I am sure there are lots of others.

Here goes: -

Get to help a rescue out
Its rewarding when a nervous bunny can be bought round
Nice to see them go to a new home and you have contributed towards it
Get to learn more about bunnies
Get to have more bunnies without owning any

Please add yours as well. :wave:

Last edited:
I thought I would start this thread to give all the good points about fostering. As I know there is a rescue in Scotland who needs fosterers and i am sure there are lots of others.

Here goes: -

Get to help a rescue out
Its rewarding when a nervous bunny can be bought round
Nice to see them go to a new home and you have contributed towards it
Get to learn more about bunnies
Get to have more bunnies without owning any

Please add yours as well. :wave:

good points!!!

I never ended up "fostering" Buzz but definitely agree with the rewarding part when you take in a bunny in need and they change :D

You're giving that rabbit a better chance of a home. Not many people want unsociable rabbits, and when they go to foster homes the foster mom works on all their mental problems and makes them a lot more sociable, and then more desirable.

You're giving that rabbit a better chance of a home. Not many people want unsociable rabbits, and when they go to foster homes the foster mom works on all their mental problems and makes them a lot more sociable, and then more desirable.

Very good point :thumb:

So rewarding, it helps build up your own confidence and knowledge of buns as you have different types of rabbits coming through :D

Good sides - I love fostering, love having new buns and seeing their personalities, love it when they find a lovely new home and especially love it when they come here 'nervous, scared etc etc' and leave here a changed bun.

Bad sides though really it is a good side - letting them go to new homes (though I 'm not very good at that bit :lol:)

i know i don't really count, as i haven't fostered jay-jay from a rescue,

but it is an amazing feeling knowing that you are helping someone who needs it :)

Good option for someone to have another pet for a few weeks/months without high vets bills
Good learning opportunity as you experience different breeds and personalities. Sadly different illnesses too but they too can be learnt from

I failed at fostering though so Im not a good example :lol:

Good option for someone to have another pet for a few weeks/months without high vets bills
Good learning opportunity as you experience different breeds and personalities. Sadly different illnesses too but they too can be learnt from

I failed at fostering though so Im not a good example :lol:

did you end up falling in love and adopting them? :lol::lol:

did you end up falling in love and adopting them? :lol::lol:

Well my first foster bun was an agouti lionhead called Fudge and if you look in my siggy which has all my pets in ..................then yes :oops:

And my second ended up going to live with Capel off here

Well my first foster bun was an agouti lionhead called Fudge and if you look in my siggy which has all my pets in ..................then yes :oops:

And my second ended up going to live with Capel off here

:lol::lol::lol: bless you :D
nice that the second went somewhere where you can still see him / her :)

I am currently fostering for a Scottish rescue. I have love the way that Simba came in, never having had hay or a proper diet and now he's munching on hay and pellets. I had him at the vet for his vaccs and she pointed out his teeth were a bit on the long side and he's skinny but hopefully his better diet will help out both.

Every day I spend time with him going from the hutch to the run. He's a brilliant wee guy for sitting on your knee having his head rubbed. In fact, the other day he 'flopped out' on my knee. :love::love: I am trying to get him used to being brushed because he has lots of matts around his back end.

I have also noticed now, when i go to the hutch he comes running to the front to see what tasty treat I have rather than hiding at the back like he did at first.

The next steps will be his VHD vacc and then get him through his neuter. I have said to the rescue I could take on a female as well with a view to seeing her through her op and hopefully get them bonded. I absolutely love the idea that I could see two single un-neutered bunnies through their ops, bonded with a friend and off to a new home. :thumb:

Back