• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter or Sawdust?

MichG

Mama Doe
I tend to use P@H wood litter in my litter trays, and it is fairly cheapish to use, but I have read somewhere that litter is not as good as sawdust.

I know I can't use sawdust where Charlie is because he is allergic to it, but in general is it better to use litter or sawdust?

I know Sawdust is generally bad as it removes oils or something from their coats.

Any ideas?

I always read that sawdust was bad to use as a litter substrate for buns. I find the wood pellets are great and don't smell very much I'll probably always use them. I know sawdust is known for being bad for small animals sometimes in the field of respiratory problems also.

I use wood pellets and find them great. We did have 1 bun who didn't take to them at all, but all the rest are fine!

I used to use megazorb but the buns started to eat it :oops: I also used to have pellet things (like cat litter but for bunnies) but I found it too messy and stuck to the litter tray. Also, they used to make a racket in the actual tray as Oggie likes to jump in and out all the time. Now we just use newspaper and hay and it couldn't be better for us! Much cheaper, cleaner for him and easier to clean out :wave:

I use care fresh but it is quite expensive. The bunnies never eat it. Can't use it for my chinchillas as they do eat it.:wave:

Last edited:
I do a 3-layer-litter as Pie is weeing alot due to her problems.
I use wood shavings on the bottom, then care fresh, then the straw/hay on top. Works a treat, nothing gets to the bottom! :D

For my boy I use a newpaper flat on the bottom on his litter tray, then the wood based cat litter from p@h and a good few handfulls of hay. Then a few sticks of fresh rosemary. Never gets smelly. And he must like it, cos he sits in it often enough!

Rach x

Mine all have a layer of megazorb, enough to cover the bottom of the tray and then a thick layer of hay. Works well for us, even if Nutmeg does insist on mixing the megazorb with the hay :roll:

Back