• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bo is at the emergency vets-Donation Appeal p37 U/D p53 COMING HOME!

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Waiting for the vet to call me to let me know exactly what is wrong with her, as the vets was 40minutes away when I got there at 3:30am.

I think she is going to need emergency surgery.

Last edited:
Ack what happened? That is some vigilant bunny care to pick up a problem at that time of night! Sounds like she was lucky you did.

Please update us when you know anything.

Sorry all, just woke up (got to bed at 5:20am :oops: )

I noticed her leaning slightly like she was semi resting herself against the cage, so thought "please not stasis".

Nope, it was worse. On picking her up, she had a huge prolapse from her vagina, about the size of a sausage in length, and about 2-2.5inches in width.

I called the emergency vet at 2:53am.
They usually call back within 5 minutes, but didn't :? Called another two times-same thing. Thought "I'll be getting in a taxi"

Got there, no sign of the vet being there, and shutter is down.
So spent the next 20 minutes banging on the window until the on call nurse woke up and peered out of the upstairs window to see who it was.

The emergency phone, it turns out, after the nurse called practice manager (at 4am!) who in turn called vet, had not been picking up signal overnight :shock: so sending everything straight to voicemail.

The nurse wondered why on a saturday night they had no emergencies in :shock:
So it was a good thing I persisted for 20 minutes in banging for help (It was very cold and I wasn't wearing shoes :roll:)

She was admitted for the vet to see when she got in. I had a call later saying her uterus had prolapsed through her vagina.

They were trying to reduce the size at the time, in the hope it could go back by itself.

I had a call 10 minutes to go to say they did emergency surgery and removed the uterus externally, as it was not going to go back, and she would at some point still need her ovaries removing, but in her critical state, it was better to do it externally.

She has come round okay, but not eaten yet.
The next 24 hours are critical as to if she will remain in a stable condition.
This poor girl has been through so much :cry:

God, how horrific. I'm so glad you persisted too and also that you realised so quick something wasn't right.

I'll be keeping everything crossed for this girl.

Sharp lesson for anyone who wants to breed their rabbits- complications come in so many ways that people can't imagine unless they ahve experienced it themselves, or been told about it.

God, how horrific. I'm so glad you persisted too and also that you realised so quick something wasn't right.

I'll be keeping everything crossed for this girl.

Sharp lesson for anyone who wants to breed their rabbits- complications come in so many ways that people can't imagine unless they ahve experienced it themselves, or been told about it.

I had never seen a prolapse that bad, and was so shocked :(

I think every person who wished to breed should be shown this thread, as a a warning that it isn't a cute dream birth and babies aren't easy.

Bo's babies died yesterday, then this happened, and she almost lost her life.
I don't think most who wish to breed for the sake of it would really have opted for the op over the euthanasia option either, as I was estimated £200-£250 for all her treatment, without todays and tomorrows costs, as the earliest I can pick her up is tomorrow after 3:30pm if everything has gone straightforward.

Is all this really worth having babies?
Ask Bo. She would say no.

Back