• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits easily trainable?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I know rabbits can be litter trained, but I've seen a few videos on youtube of rabbits being trained in the same way dogs are, with a reward every time they do it right and the videos I saw they are trained to do things like sit and go to their name. I'd really like to try it with Merlin when I get him (if he likes it)
Has anyone trained their rabbits to do things like that? What have you trained them to do? :)

Yes they are quite easy to train if they want, some can be stubborn! I am currently training my buns to follow treats so that when I open their run they will take themselves home to their shed (as they hate me trying to pick them up out of their run and carry them home). So far its going quite well, just depends how food motivated your bunny is sometimes I think.

I wouldnt say they can be trained like dogs, dogs WANT to please you, whereas rabbits just dont :lol: they are more focussed upon themselves, and so can be taught a few learned behaviours with food.

Confident, dominant bunnies learn to nudge your hand for a stroke.

I taught my bunny to 'beg' (periscope) for food, as I have difficulty hand-feeding him on his own level as he gets overexcited and bites. But after a couple of hours he just started periscoping CONSTANTLY in the hope that he would get more food, and would follow me around periscoping, even trying to hop whilst on his back legs. I got worried it was bad for his spine and legs so I stopped rewarding it and he stopped doing it after a few days.

Yes, they can be trained, but you have to give them an incentive. :lol: Like Nessar said, they won't please you because they want to, so you're not guaranteed for the 'trick' to work every time, because if the bun doesn't feel like it, they won't bother.

I started teaching Oidhche as a way of keeping her entertained as she is very bright and gets bored easily. She does turn, up, jump, in, and responds to a clicking noise wherever she's hiding in the house. These are all sound cues and food-motivated tricks. No food, no trick as far as bunny is concerned :lol: She responds to a different click as 'stop' but doesn't get a food reward for that one. Plus, if she's really hyper she just runs about trying to get the pellet and won't do anything either. :roll:

Oh yes - don't waste your time trying fetch. We've tried and failed. :lol:

Last edited:
yes they can, i've been training my bunnie to stand everytime i raise my hand. and if they do, i give them cabbage bits as a prize.. so far they are obeying me but sometime's they do stand even though i didnt raise my hand, lol. needs more practice.. :D

I'm having great fun and success using clicker training. The website I got ideas from is below. I bought the book and we're working our way through it. I use tiny pieces of banana or carrot for rewards since they're not regularly given to the buns.

http://www.clickerbunny.com/

Yes they can be, some poeple clicker train their bunnies :)

Heather answers to her name and both Heather and Bart will run over to me if I crouch down and tap the floor :? I didn't teach them either of these things they just kinda picked it up :?:)

My two run to their shed when I rattle their food dishes and call 'Dinner!' They also know when it's suppertime. I find them waiting in their shed (they have access to an attached run) at 9 o'clock.

It must be something to do with repetition and routine... and FOOOOOOOOD!!

Hmm, personally I don't think they can be trained. I think they do things for food but more as part of a routine than 'training'.

Put it this way. I can't train Nutmeg not to screw up their blanket :roll:

Back