• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My local RSPCA bursting with bunnies :(

Just seen this on front page of my local RSPCA website:

Rabbit Crisis
Our Centre is at bursting point with rabbits. Please consider adopting a rescue rabbit. They are all health checked, neutered, micro chipped and are adopted with 4 months free insurance. Ideal accommodation is a shed or wendy house with an attached run. Rabbits are social animals and should not be kept as singletons. If you have a single rabbit we offer expert dating advice and if the rabbits do not get on we will let you try a different boy/girlfriend. The present adoption fee is £20 and extra donation towards neutering is always welcome. Please call in to see our selection.

RSPCA Halifax, I'm not sure if all bunnies are on the site but even so, there's about 10 not reserved. :( This is a lot for a rescue that doesn't have a large small animal unit and is mainly for bigger animals.

I love this RSPCA, they never put a healthy animal down and are very reliable unlike some. :(

This is an extract from their website:-

With regards to the hutch size requirements please see the Rabbit Welfare Associations site for their guidelines as we do try and adhere to these; - the recommended 6ft x 2ft x2ft is a guide line and we are flexible but not excessively so if you are unsure please ask. We are happy to offer advice but not willing to haggle over the minimum but rather aim for the best possible so the rabbits are happy in their new environment.

Shame to leave your male bunny as a singleton :( Perhaps some more sweet talking to your mom might get you a result ;)

That's near me, well relatively. As soon as I sort my hutch and run situation out I will definitely make a trip to Halifax and see if I'm suitable.
Do you know what they require from you to be able to adopt? I have a toddler and two cats and I live in rented accomadation, which has meant in the past I was not able to adopt a cat from my local RSPCA (Altham).

That's near me, well relatively. As soon as I sort my hutch and run situation out I will definitely make a trip to Halifax and see if I'm suitable.
Do you know what they require from you to be able to adopt? I have a toddler and two cats and I live in rented accomadation, which has meant in the past I was not able to adopt a cat from my local RSPCA (Altham).

Aww that's great :) Here is the info from their website:

Re-homing Rabbits
Rabbits are very social animals and the RSPCA feel it is cruel to keep them as singletons unless as a house rabbit.

Perhaps you have a single rabbit requiring a friend? Expert dating advice is given by our fosterer. If the initial dating is unsuccessful then a different rabbit will be introduced.

Rabbits have powerful back legs designed to run and jump. The sight of a solitary rabbit abandoned in a small hutch in the bottom of the garden is an all too often sad sight.

Many are kept this way due to the owners lack of knowledge of their pets needs. We have been brainswahsed into thinking rabbits should be confined to hutches.
Ideal accommodation is a shed or wendy house with an attached run or enclosure.

All our rabbits are neutered and vaccinated against haemoragic viral disease and myxamatosis.

A home visit will take place before adopting a rabbit

We have a lot of rabbits looking for caring homes.

If you are interested in adoption please contact our reception.

But if you have a hutch it needs to be 6ft x3ft with an attached run :)

It's the same story here - Chesterfield Rspca is also full to the brim with rabbits. There was a big rescue recently and they have lots of guinea pigs and rabbits at the moment. :cry: xx

Back