• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay not worked??

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I am not sure.

I had Sophie neutered at 16 weeks, and she has always been a mardy cow regardless. She really dislikes me, I have had her from 8 weeks and don't understand why. She was brought up in a living room with plenty of interaction.

She is/was bonded to Granite.
She and Granite have also been bonded in pairs and groups, and it is normally Sophie who causes angst amongst the group and I end up seperating.

The latest group was a 4 with Isla, charlie, granite and her. Charlie sadly died suddenly and Sophie started bullying Isla, to the point where Isla didn't move out of a basket for three days.

So Isla was moved out.

However she has now taken to doing the same with Granite. Sophie doesn't physically attack (not that I have seen, and there is no pulled fur either) but will not let him move.

So I have seperated them tonight. Granite looks worse for wear, due to this bullying.

What I am wondering is, could she have been spayed ( so conception doesn't happen) but not removed the whole reproductive system to prevent hormones?

Is there any way of seeing/finding out?

I have seen someone on here post of a similar thing (not a full spay) happening and having to get their girl re spayed.

I had a conversation with FHB bout finding out if a doe was spayed (in relation to Erin who came to me spayed. I do trust the word of the previous owner, but it was raised as a pondering). FHB said that there would be ways of find out - I think I asked regarding blood tests, these would be more expensive/less conclusive than booking a spay and opening them up to look. Though obviously this isn't a great option.

I *think* Sophie would also still be at risk of uterine cancer if there was any tissue left causing the hormone issues, which could be a factor making investigations worthwhile.

Maybe it's just a personality thing? I had an unspayed doe, Scrabble, and she was the most gentle, loving bunny you could imagine :love:

It's probably just her personality. Even after neutering they can be grumpy and very possessive.

I had a conversation with FHB bout finding out if a doe was spayed (in relation to Erin who came to me spayed. I do trust the word of the previous owner, but it was raised as a pondering). FHB said that there would be ways of find out - I think I asked regarding blood tests, these would be more expensive/less conclusive than booking a spay and opening them up to look. Though obviously this isn't a great option.

I *think* Sophie would also still be at risk of uterine cancer if there was any tissue left causing the hormone issues, which could be a factor making investigations worthwhile.

Maybe it's just a personality thing? I had an unspayed doe, Scrabble, and she was the most gentle, loving bunny you could imagine :love:

This is another major concern of mine, especially after losing Cherry, and Princess to spay related problems/secondaries from possible cancer.

I can understand the personality thing, but I have not know any spayed doe to be like this, so territorial/bullying over everything. I know others have and they do exist,and often a lot worse than Sophie too.

Yes, if a spey is not done properly then it can cause the problems you are experiencing and a rabbit could still be at risk of getting uterine cancer, this is why it is so important to get a rabbit savvy vet to do a spey because it's not like other animals

We had it happen to us once, very annoying

Between loosing Princess and getting Sophie some vets changed and they went from rabbit savvy to rabbit not. I was at the beginning of my rabbit owning.

But yes cancer is very much at the forfront of my mind.

Anyone have any ideas on prices of blood tests?

Between loosing Princess and getting Sophie some vets changed and they went from rabbit savvy to rabbit not. I was at the beginning of my rabbit owning.

But yes cancer is very much at the forfront of my mind.

Anyone have any ideas on prices of blood tests?

Our cat just had a blood test which cost almost £80!!! Was horrified! :?

Back