• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny treads in pee!

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hello everyone,

My bunny is nearly 5 and a VERY lazy lop. He had an eye infection a couple of weeks ago and was taken to the vet for a check up and got antibiotics. This has all cleared up just fine now and the eye is looking much better now and not leaking so that's fine.

However, he's not very good at cleaning himself. He's far from incontinent (peeing as usual in his pee corner) but he seems to be less good at not putting his feet in it. The problem is that he sometimes gets the pee off his feet up a tiny bit to his legs and this got a bit sore, especially when he had the eye infection and was down in the dumps. To be honest, he's never been a spotless bunny but I don't want him to get smelly!

Yesterday he had a mini-bath (just his back legs) and a thorough clean and trim. But today, he's trodden in a tiny bit more wee (nothing too bad). I've wiped it all off with a damp towel and dried them and I'm also changing any wet bedding twice a day.

He's absolutely fine in all other ways, hopping and jumping like a baby still, absolutely ravenous 24/7 etc. He's not fat because he has a tendency to overeat and so his food is limited.

Does anyone have any advice about any 'baby wipe' style products that I could use just to keep his feet clean? Obviously, he's been to the vet only last week (and goes three times a year for health check-ups) and there's nothing wrong with him apart from this. So any tips on how to keep on top of the problem before it gives him sore skin would be ideal!

Thanks for reading such a long post!

:wave: what are you using for his bedding? It might be an idea to use something absorbent so that the wee is soaked up, maybe megazorb or vetbed?

It's good that you're cleaning him and keeping an eye out for this, sorry I don't have anymore advice, hopefully some others will be along shortly :)

Thanks for the reply, Aurora.

He has thick newspapers, covered in straw, covered in hay. In the pee corner he has litter underneath the newspaper.

I don't mind trying other things but the only limitation is that there's no way my mum would let me put fleece or similar in the washing machine!

Does he have a litter tray? What I use for mine is a litter tray with some litter in the bottom and then hay on the top. I use megazorb but you can also use a wood based pellet and cover it with hay. This way the pee is absorbed quickly unlike with newspaper where it sits on the top.

:wave: I am currently having this problem with my buns...my new girl often piddles outisde the litter tray and all 3 tred in it...they are good with cleaning themselves though but I do worry that they don't do it quick enough.

When I was bonding Pebbles to bridge bun Harley I could only fit in a small litter tray, which they sat it quite a lot of they were constantly sitting in wee even through I put in absorbant litter (megazorb - which I highly recommend). I used a cake cooling rack over the tray so all pee and poop fell to the bottom and no wet feetsies :)

I have a hooded cat litter tray stuffed with straw in their playhouse...the rack sits on the bottom of that so wee and poop falls through and the straw stays clean...otherwise I would be changing it daily.

DSC04359.jpg

Thank you! Very helpful indeed, I'll see what I can make him!

I think I may be giving him too MUCH newspaper and it's stopping the pee absorbing into the litter!

Back