• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oh no! nesting

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
Rubys started nesting today going to have to rush jay off to foster im not ready for this at all im so scared do i leave ruby to it this, or do i check every hour?

Keep your an eye from a distance. She should finish kindling within 20 mins, so anything longer than that and you need to be thinking about the emergency vet.

What has she done so far?

Where is she?

ive got jay in a cardboard box didnt think she'd be this soon shes only pulled a bit of hair but jays showing interest by sniffing her in the same way dogs do
(i understand dog labour been there done that 4Xs lol)
shes digging the nest but still eating too i must be honest i think shes been hindered by the hutch building....

shes in the small hutch just added fresh hay (today is clean out day and have had to clean litter tray and food area and leave hay area well alone.

ive got jay in a cardboard box didnt think she'd be this soon shes only pulled a bit of hair but jays showing interest by sniffing her in the same way dogs do
(i understand dog labour been there done that 4Xs lol)
shes digging the nest but still eating too i must be honest i think shes been hindered by the hutch building....

shes in the small hutch just added fresh hay (today is clean out day and have had to clean litter tray and food area and leave hay area well alone.

sorry sweetie, have just replied to your message. i wasnt online. first time in days i haven't had the comp on all day :s xxx

I'm a bit confused, but from your other thread, I think Jay is the boy?

If she is pulling fur then she thinks she is close (although they can do that with a false one). Well done for separating mum and dad :)

All you can do now is be calm and keep an eye (as well as, when approrpiate, providing more hay).

jays dad mums ruby i may have fuddled the names up somepoint lol, im all panicky i never wanted babies thats why i rescued to adult neutered buns ffs

Breath...... BREAAAAATH:|:|:|:?:?:(:(:cry::cry:

jays dad mums ruby i may have fuddled the names up somepoint lol, im all panicky i never wanted babies thats why i rescued to adult neutered buns ffs

Breath...... BREAAAAATH:|:|:|:?:?:(:(:cry::cry:

No, its fine, I just don't know your rabbits, that's all.

I would go for the distraction technique for you. Hopefully Ruby will be able to do this all herself, with no problems.

Do you know how old she is?

I'm a bit confused, but from your other thread, I think Jay is the boy?

If she is pulling fur then she thinks she is close (although they can do that with a false one). Well done for separating mum and dad :)

All you can do now is be calm and keep an eye (as well as, when approrpiate, providing more hay).

oops, sorry missfloppy ears, you'd already replied and explained as i was typing LOL

jay is about 9months
Ruby is about 1 1/2 years old
which is making it scarier, shes been up and down looking for jay but gone back to nest now im running back and forth just going to have tea and shoot off to foster home with jay grr all systems go.

I have been VERY brave and explained to the parents that although i picked 2 neutered adults i was lied to and now im expecting babies luckily they helped with the hutch and seem excited about it, i explained health complications etc that may occour and now were all fidgety hehe...

you got to bear in mind part of the conditions of me having rabbits is NO BABIES lol:lol:

It sounds like you're doing great, but you have obviously worked out that Ruby is going to be vulnerable at that age (if its her first litter, likely, truth be told, its not).

I'm glad your parents were helpful :) That makes it much easier.

yeh ive been doing my reading i understand things really fast but doesnt stop me panicking :lol:

what signs of issues have i got to look out for

yeh ive been doing my reading i understand things really fast but doesnt stop me panicking :lol:

what signs of issues have i got to look out for

You would be looking for a long kindling, her not acting right (particularly lethargic), also lots of blood, or, if you happen to see a kit stuck half in half out, which would be unlikely to see.

the things ive read though say that nesting can be anything from 3 days to during labour?

brb checking again

Nesting can happen over a period of days, often fur pulling is done when she knows they are coming in the very near future (or even when she is kindling).

hi one of my rabbits who had babies pulled fur days before she gave birth and the other a few hours prior, you will find she will give birth in the middle of the night as this is most common for bunnies, and her age is a worry females who have never had babies before one should not mated as it can lead to complications, but as long as you monitor them everything should hopefully be fine :)

missfloppyears should be back soon to talk to you and tell you all how ruby is doing :)

jay arrived here a couple of hours ago
he is settling in well and is such a cutie.
my son and I will enjoy fostering him for a few weeks until he can go back to live with his mummy and ruby again :)

Hi, My 9 mnth bun kindled on thursday although she had built her nest 2 days before showing any signs of giving birth (although after destroying that nest she made a new one just 1 hour before delivery.) My bun stopped eating her hay and was scoffing straw. apparently some do that, so it might be a good idea to make sure she has plenty of both.

Hopefully she will do all the work herself and prove to be a fab mum. Do you know that she will eat the placentas? Thats normal so dont worry. Just read up, there is plenty of advice on the net and just use your common sence...I'm sure you will soon have a happy little family all snuggled together.

All the best and enjoy the experience.
Baby bunny hugs and nuzzles
VEE

thanks guys and snowball thankyou sooo much i am always here should you need help....
6:30am ruby has a very big furry nest:love:
using the knowledge i know of dogs shes not pushing yet and still eating so maybe tomorow night
:shock: unless shes going to have them dawn break, im kinda hoping shell wait till monday haha can name them all after valentines people hehe

Back