• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A hutch is not enough.

DUTCH4

Young Bun
hi im new here and spotted some lovely ideas on here and have read in a rabbit magazine that their hutch is not enough, my rabbit lives alone and only has access to a outdoor run,he can only go in it when i put him in it. when he is in his run he is scared of everything.have you any ideas?thank you

Well you definately need to get him a friend to keep him company, so get him neutered if he isn't already and then start researching local rabbit rescues :)

I don't know what your hutch/run setup is like but the ideal situation would be to have a run that is permanently fixed to your hutch so that they can go in and out whenever they like :)

He might become more confident in his run if he can have free access between it and his hutch so he can explore gradually between. There are various was of doing that eg putting the hutch in the run, next to the run and making a hole between the two, hutch on top of the run with a ramp down, or a tunnel between the two. It probably depends on the size/shape of your garden and the size of the run/hutch as to what is more practical.

Hello :) how long have you had your bun, is the run a relatively new experience? How long do you let him play for- he may just need time to get used it being in a larger space. You could try covering over half of the top with a blanket for security and reassurance :)

Hello :) how long have you had your bun, is the run a relatively new experience? How long do you let him play for- he may just need time to get used it being in a larger space. You could try covering over half of the top with a blanket for security and reassurance :)

i have had rizzo since he was 12weeks and he is now 4 years old. The run is not new but he has always been nervous over sounds from crying children near by, big birds and planes. Unfortunately due to me working long hours he goes out in his run at the weekend supervised as it is not safe to leave him out alone.

we managed to get some 6" drainage pipe that we put out in our runs so that the buns can hide when they are out gives them extra shade as well. if you can get it cut up its great to put a few together they love playing in them too.

It sounds like something that's secure enough for you to leave him in when your not there would be the best solution.

If your not sure about leaving him in the run, another option would be to swap from a hutch to a shed/outbuilding/garage. That might give him a bigger space but one that was quite enclosed and safe feeling. A small shed eg 6x4 isn't much more than a run, if you shop around or go on a discount weekend to a DIY store you can get one just over the £100 mark. Second hand is cheaper if that's too much. You could then put his current hutch inside with the door open for a sleeping area/to jump on top of. That would give him around the same floor area as a run but feel more enclosed and safe to him.

It does seem like a confidence and the need for feeling secure. Could you not attach the run to his hutch so his door opens into the run, making the lid hinged so you can open and shut his hutch at night? If you attach some wood batons to the hutch frame and screw the run to it -and the run is on concrete then it would be secure-also making sure hinged roof is locked shut. Or you could mount the hutch onto the run-it may need strengthening first-them but a hole in the hutch floor and attach a ramp, there are loads of projects you can consider to alter your existing hutch and run :)

What hutch have you got? Would it be possible to attatch your run to it so that he could have access to his hutch and run together? Then maybe he'll get more used to being in the run and less scared of it

I cut a hole out of the back of my rabbit hutch, fixed a cat flap to it, then i have the run pushed up against the hutch. Maybe that could be an option ?

Back