• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Choking Rabbit

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
OMG I nearly lost Aisling, she choked on some pellets. I have no idea why but bloody hell am I glad I had read up on how to help a choking rabbit.

She seems to be OK now, which is more than can be said for me. The only other time I have seen such a bad 'choke' was with Malcolm and he died :cry:

I am shaking like a leaf and Aisling is having a wash.....................:?

Gosh, so glad she is OK.:shock: It seems that not even a near-fatal chocking experience can keep a bunny from looking her best. :love:

:shock::shock: Glad she's okay!

Are big or small pellets more of a risk of choking? I have very small pellets.......

Bit of a shock, isn't it? Django did this a couple of times last year - really freaked me out. He only seemed to do it with broccolli florets, so he only gets the stalks now.

That must have been terrifying!

Can you share what to do?

I picked her up, held her firmly with her bum toward me and sort of swung her rapidly from a horizontal position to a vertical one so she was nose downwards, then sort of jerked her forwards about 3-4 times. The pellet must have dislodged as she stopped gagging and once she had got her breath back she hopped of and started grooming.

It's hard to explain and I probably didn't do it 100% correctly, I acted instinctively as her eyes were bulging and she had gunk foaming out of her nose and mouth. She was also making a horrible sound :cry:

I will have a listen to her lungs a few times over the next couple of days incase she aspirated anything. I cant see any point in taking her to the Emergency Vet now as the crisis is over and the journey would just stress her out.

That terrible, I have never even considered that could happen.

Glad you were able to help.

Can you offer us some advice please ?

Back