• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ranging outside.

rolo

Alpha Buck
Hi, just started letting bun free-range outside instead of being on his harness and long lead.

He hops about abit, then hutles back inside and sits on my feet. Then tiptoes back outside and does it all again. The garden is very secure, so not too worried about him escaping, but slightly worried about having to catch him when its "in"time.

Does anyone else let their buns go it alone outside?

Rach x

My two are free ranging in the back garden most of the time. I am a full-time mum so I can keep an eye on them. I started clicker training them to encourage them to follow a target back inside at night but really, a rattle of some pellets in a tub works wonders!

How big is your garden? Mine come back in when they are hungry or when they just want to see what I am up to i.e. usually moving their bedding around in their hutch. lol.

My two have free range time, but only when I'm out there to supervise - not just in case they escape but to watch for predators as well.

They go back in to their kennel when I shake the bag of pellets too. :D They're quite quick to learn - I started out by shaking the bag before I filled their food bowl (while they were in their hutch). Now they associate that noise with food and take themselves home.

Mine are free range all day,I put their food in the shed just before bed time and they are always willing to go in :D:D

3 of mine free range 24 / 7. Wind, rain, snow and sunshine. They have their hidey holes and fav places. They did have a hutch but they neaver used it. They prefer to live under the decking. They have access to the garage, and just come and go as they please. They have free access to the hay bale, and food and water in their bowls at all times. There coats are like a husky fur at the moment, really thick. I do catch them from time to time to health check them.They do like to sit under the ferrett cage. The RSPCA man thought this really strange as he thought they may pick up the "danger" vibes, and stress them out.

All 12 of mine free range in the garden (in shifts - not all together!!) and their favourite bit is when I "chase" thenm back in - they get all excited and binky their way back to their sheds:lol:

Back