• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny Arrived at the rescue sanctuary today..

Ambience

Warren Veteran
He is very sweet. The owner was a woman who was the grandmother of a little girl who's rabbit this was. The rabbit had grown too big and was getting food aggressive. She was a particularly nice lady who had rescued a staffy and had a pig,another smaller bunny also. The reason for rehoming was that the bunny had grown too big and she was worried about him hurting the children.

However, healthwise i can see immediately a problem. His fur is coming off and showing skin on his ear. He also has very runny eyes and i suspect this is dental or tear duct issues that is causing his behavior rather than unwarranted aggression.

I picked him up and put him in quarantine in an indoor cage and he was good as good, no struggle etc. He is sat quietly in the kitchen at the moment. Here is a couple of pictures of him. He will be be available for rehoming hopefully once i've got his teeth, eyes and general health checked , along with neutering and vacs done. I think he has a little way to go by the looks of things first though. He may end up as a sanctuary bunny if his problems are too severe.

The lady was talking about how a rabbit of hers had an abscess and she had to pay £150 for it before. I think she has done the right thing by the rabbit signing her over if she can't afford to pay the vets fees. I definately suspect dental problems with smudge. Regardless she and her husband were ever so nice. It's such a shame that people get into these situations. I admire them for being brave enough to bring this bunny to a rescue rather than let it go free or do something else with him.

His a little bit frightened- understandability being brought to a new environment.
His skin is exposed in a couple of places- I'm not sure what condition this may be, but I'm going to be extra careful quarantine wise with the other buns here.
His eyes are really quite runny and teary and he is definately being booked in with the vets for a tear duct flush and a possible dental. I hope it's not too serious for the poor little baby.

Last edited:
I hope Smudge's problems are not too serious and he can go one to have a wonderful new home :)

So whats the name of your rescue?

I think you forgot to add the pictures. Hope Smudge settles well with you and you get his problems sorted out.

I hope Smudge's problems are not too serious and he can go one to have a wonderful new home :)

So whats the name of your rescue?

Aww thankyou. My vets have been really good and said i can put posters up for rehoming, which is so nice of them. I'd be happy to give the rescue name out when i become a registered charity. At the moment I'm keeping it hush hush for now as i don't want to have any problems with the name as I've already had one name rejected. I'll let you know as soon as all the paperwork goes through xxx

Aww thankyou. My vets have been really good and said i can put posters up for rehoming, which is so nice of them. I'd be happy to give the rescue name out when i become a registered charity. At the moment I'm keeping it hush hush for now as i don't want to have any problems with the name as I've already had one name rejected. I'll let you know as soon as all the paperwork goes through xxx

Oh Ok, most of us aren't registered charities and we have names. You may find it hard to start fundraising until you have a name that the public know of :? Good luck with it all though :wave:

Back to see the pics. :love: He's lovely - doesn't look that big to me, but then I am use to Spenser who is fairly large. Good luck with his vet trip. :wave:

Oh Ok, most of us aren't registered charities and we have names. You may find it hard to start fundraising until you have a name that the public know of :? Good luck with it all though :wave:

Thanks. Yes I've not started fund raising yet. I really should do i know. I promise I'll let you know as soon as I've got the go ahead with all the documents I've sent across etc. I am keeping all the invoices that are under the rescue name from the vets and other things like expenses-i.e the cage i just bought from zoo plus for smudge and accessories etc. I'll then keep all this together with the rescue bank statements. I have yet to reopen the bank account in the new name as the old rescue name wasn't accepted.

I guess i could still run a private rescue under the old name which the charities commission haven't accepted, but then if i wanted to become a charity I'd have the same problem again. I really liked the old name. Again i can't publish this as all my home address details are linked to the website and h'm being very careful not to put any of my details online until I'm ready too. As you can probably tell- things are still up in the air abit :)

Back to see the pics. :love: He's lovely - doesn't look that big to me, but then I am use to Spenser who is fairly large. Good luck with his vet trip. :wave:

Yes he doesn't to me either- just a standard bunny size- they must have been expecting a mini breed :)

Any ideas on the skin problem anyone? I was thinking some kind of mites maybe that are causing hair loss.

I didn't think the hair loss looked much of a problem, but the skin does look a little red :?

Perhaps it's because he has fur missing on his back further down that is concerning me. I'm not sure what it could be though- perhaps i'm just worrying over nothing. Anyways i'll have the vets look into it.

He looks a sweetie!

Was he with another bun, as the top of the ear looks like its just been over groomed a little?

If he's got mites you can normally spot it easily as he'd look dandruff-y, but I'm sure the vet will advise to ivermectin him if theres any doubt.

I hope his eyes/teeth etc aren't too bad!

Were you brave enough to insist on a donation from them?

Hes a lovely bunny.

No not nearly brave enough( I think i was just a little bit brave having people at the house though, because I've normally always spoke on the phone so having someone to the premise is quite daunting for me)- The lady was so lovely as was her husband- she was a grandmother and i even though i did speak about taking her to the vets, i didn't ask for a donation.

Next time i will try. I have a lady who wants to bring four bunnies to me who has been in touch, but i don't have room for these yet as my new shed is still not built.

I forgot it's not just the cost of neutering and vaccinations, it's the cost of indoor cages- i.e £40 from zooplus for a four foot quarantine enclosure- then the accessories etc i have to buy, water bottle, food bowl, litter tray,blanket, hayrack and toys etc. So there is quite a big initial outlay taking in a new bun. I forgot to factor this in and mention it.

It's £131.00 minimum to quarantine one bun including vaccinations, neutering and general setup costs as a minimum. That's without a 6ft hutch and run which obviously is additional. As mentioned i can probably do a deal with a supplier to get them less than the standard £199. I can see that i will have to ask for donations at some point.

He is a sweetheart as well- i put my hand in where his food is and no food aggression that i can see, may just be because it's not his territory yet.

Ditto this ^^^

I doubt its too much to worry about, but if the redness is a sign of scratching it might be worth treating for fleas and mites just in case :)

Thanks will do. Usually if there are any fleas in this house i know about it and have to treat all the buns with advantage. I've only had it happen once and that treatment worked right away.

he is cute, but were are photos of chesnut and the english girls lol

I know :) I will post some soon, i promise :) I have to post some of the other bunnies too!! Every time i get my camera working it runs out of battery- it's a new on a canon but i have to recharge the batteries which don't last two minutes. I will take some soon and get them posted up. They are all doing well. xxxxxxxxx

He looks a sweetie!

Was he with another bun, as the top of the ear looks like its just been over groomed a little?

If he's got mites you can normally spot it easily as he'd look dandruff-y, but I'm sure the vet will advise to ivermectin him if theres any doubt.

I hope his eyes/teeth etc aren't too bad!

He hasn't been with any other buns apparently and has never had contact with another bun according to the lady who brought him. He doesn't have any dandruff looking, it does look over groomed yes, but he wouldn't be able to groom there himself. I wonder if i have been given the full story. They do have another small bunny.

Back