• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just had a row in a petshop

Nikki26

Mama Doe
I am fuming! I walked past my parents local petshop this morning and in the window was an enclosure with a rabbit and guinea pig. So I went in there and asked if they realised that you shouldn't keep rabbits and guinea pigs together. I was reassured that as long as you feed them guinea pig food then it is absolutely fine.

I tried to politely say that that was incorrect and that they are a different species and have different requirements. They told me that I am wrong and that they live quite happily together n sleep cuddled up with each other.

I said that the rabbit could easily and unintentionally injure or kill the piggie. They said that they had been living together for 4 weeks and that people have kept them together for years with no problem.

I said about diseases that can be passed from one to another and was told that I didn't know what I was talking about and what gives me the rightto walk in off the street and start complaining. I said that having both rescue rabbits and pigs, I know what I am talking about and that they really need to do some research.

Anyway, I left saying that I would never use that petshop again and will be contacting the local council about their license.

So...what do I do now?! Am I right that their petshop license means they shouldn't keep them together. I want to get as much information together to prove that they shouldn't be keeping them together and that I am not just shouting my mouth off!

Oh, and I also said that it is their responsibility to teach people how to look after their animals correctly and that they are failing in this.

Sorry, rant over!! I am not a confrontational person at all and am still shaking!!

I would be fuming too.... I dont really know what you can do about it though. Mu council have guineas, rabbits and chickens in an enclosure in the park.... I tried a petition, a letter.... nothing really changed apart from them listening to my advice about changing their straw to hay and muelsi to pellets. :(

It's annoying isn't it?

I contacted someone who was giving away a free rabbit and guinea-pig on preloved and explained that they don't belong together and to please rehome them seperately.
I explained why and about the welfare of the animals.
She replied and told me I didn't know what I was talking about and they were happy and she was told they could live together :evil:
Sent a reply back and haven't heard since

Back