• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas on how to help Benji? (and myself!) UPDATE p.14:)

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Benji is five, and unneutered due to health problems.
Because he is unneutered (most likely reason I can think of) he will not learn how to use a litterbox:lol:

In his bed area, he has a plastic dog bed filled with hay, and the floor is covered with hay. In his "day" area, he has just lino, and a large litterbox filled with hay.

He's starting to get wet yellow feet where he pees on the floor and then treads in it, and I really don't want him to get urine scald/sore hocks. But as much as I'm worried about him, I'm also getting tired and fed up. I'm having to do a full clean out every other day... often means I'm out in the pitch black after college doing it.

I was just wondering if anyone maybe had any suggestions? Do you think it's worth taking measurements of his "day" area and finding a big plastic storage box that fits the whole thing..? That way I can just fill it with bedding and hay which is more absorbant... and I can just empty it out every few days.

What do you think?

Last edited:
No one got any ideas?:)

Sorry, I know I post a lot... it's just no one "In Real Life" wants to help me or listen to my bunny problems:(:lol:

Sorry, I know I post a lot... it's just no one "In Real Life" wants to help me or listen to my bunny problems:(:lol:

Hi, a big large plastic box sounds good.

A friend of mine used to have the same problem with her bunny. She used the base of a huge ferplast indoor hutch. It was lined with newspaper and then load of hay on top. There was plenty of room for bunny to hop around, a corner in which to wee in and then loads of fresh hay to chomp.
All of this was then enclosed by a puppy playpen.

I hope this idea might be of use to you.

Real life people just don't understand us do they? Bunny bonkers!!!:lol:

:) To be fair, you didn't wait very long and it is a Saturday morning when a lot of people are lazier and so may be relaxing more. Be patient :)

As for what you can do, have you tried putting something like wood pellet litter all over the floor? Or something like vetbed (which the urine will drain through, and you can wash in the washing machine)?

Benji is five, and unneutered due to health problems.
Because he is unneutered (most likely reason I can think of) he will not learn how to use a litterbox:lol:

In his bed area, he has a plastic dog bed filled with hay, and the floor is covered with hay. In his "day" area, he has just lino, and a large litterbox filled with hay.

He's starting to get wet yellow feet where he pees on the floor and then treads in it, and I really don't want him to get urine scald/sore hocks. But as much as I'm worried about him, I'm also getting tired and fed up. I'm having to do a full clean out every other day... often means I'm out in the pitch black after college doing it.

I was just wondering if anyone maybe had any suggestions? Do you think it's worth taking measurements of his "day" area and finding a big plastic storage box that fits the whole thing..? That way I can just fill it with bedding and hay which is more absorbant... and I can just empty it out every few days.

What do you think?

my new rescue buns were not litter training, and i was getting fustrated too. but i swapped their corner litter box to a large cat one, i use wood pellet litter from p@h and would reccomend you tring that, then i place abit of their poo and soiled hay ect in the litter box, and put some treat hay right at the back so they had to hop in the litter box to use it. i then put some of their veggies in their, and after 2 nights they started using it all the time, unlike snow and thumper they even poop in their all the time :D! (hope this helped a little)

ohh and i know what you mean about nobody in real life wanting to listen, all my 'friends' call me an animal freak:roll:

my new rescue buns were not litter training, and i was getting fustrated too. but i swapped their corner litter box to a large cat one, i use wood pellet litter from p@h and would reccomend you tring that, then i place abit of their poo and soiled hay ect in the litter box, and put some treat hay right at the back so they had to hop in the litter box to use it. i then put some of their veggies in their, and after 2 nights they started using it all the time, unlike snow and thumper they even poop in their all the time :D! (hope this helped a little)

ohh and i know what you mean about nobody in real life wanting to listen, all my 'friends' call me an animal freak:roll:

I'm glad you've had success with your buns:)

I've tried all those tricks, benji has a large litter tray but hiding special hay and treats doesnt work: he doesn't like them:lol: ah well:) but thankyou for the suggestions!:)

:) To be fair, you didn't wait very long and it is a Saturday morning when a lot of people are lazier and so may be relaxing more. Be patient :)

As for what you can do, have you tried putting something like wood pellet litter all over the floor? Or something like vetbed (which the urine will drain through, and you can wash in the washing machine)?

I only wrote that comment because I had to leave for work in around 5 minutes and just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions. Also, I knew my thread would be totally lost pretty quickly:wave:

And yep, I've tried vetbed. We had some left over from when my youngest dog was a puppy. Thing is he sees soft material as something that you HAVE to pee on, and totally stops using his litterbox altogether:evil::lol: It's a good job he's cute and soppy, or he'd be a nightmare!:)

What about putting a layer of newspaper topped with hay all round the hutch?
This is what I do with Ogs and keeps his feet nice and clean :love: (and he loves to just sit in his litter tray, which he uses, all the time)

What about putting a layer of newspaper topped with hay all round the hutch?
This is what I do with Ogs and keeps his feet nice and clean :love: (and he loves to just sit in his litter tray, which he uses, all the time)

I'll have to try that one out:)

I'll hide the newspaper pretty well, Ben's favourite game is to shred paper and throw it everywhere:lol:

It depends how extensive the problem is.

If its just an odd wee on the lino, then I'd recommend getting some cheap mats (rag-rug type or these are good: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30052399 ). They will soak up small amounts of wee so that your bun won't step in the puddles.

If he's doing lots of wees in that area, then newspaper and hay or vet-bed is probably better.

Megazorb is excellent for soaking up urine and killing the pong. You can buy it online for £7 for a massive 85L sack. I put paper down to line their litter box and then megazorb on top and hay as the top layer. All my buns have lovely clean pawsies. :)

Megazorb is excellent for soaking up urine and killing the pong. You can buy it online for £7 for a massive 85L sack. I put paper down to line their litter box and then megazorb on top and hay as the top layer. All my buns have lovely clean pawsies. :)

Ohhh, where?:D

Was cleaning out the buns today and decided to bite the bullet with Benji's litterbox habits.

I put a 32 litre (nowhere near the size of his hutch:lol: much smaller) storage box in, put in a thick layer of litter then loads of hay on top, and put Benji in to investigate.

Well, he sniffed, dug around a bit... and then started eating the ings hay from hay for pets:shock: He never eats hay! He only ever has a little bit of readigrass, never proper strands of hay.. I was shocked and quite pleased. His hay eating never lasts long, but it's nice to see that he can and does do it sometimes.

Here's a picture of the little prince exploring his new box:love::

DSCF0263.jpg

Out of all my buns Big is the only one who won't use a liter tray and she is a spayed female. She lives with Beige her brother who tried his best to teach her but she just wasn't having it.

They have a 6 ft Happy Hutch with a run underneath. They both now wee at one side of the living area, The other side I have carpeted. The whole hutch has lino tiles down. All I use is a layer of thick newspaper which I change every day. I too though of having a lasrge tray but it will part block the entrance to the bed/nest area which is full of hay and they keep nice and clean :?

During the day they have access to the run underneath which is on concrete slabs and wee in a corner which I also put newspaper down on as I don't want the slabs to get all stained and smelly especially in the summer with flies.

It is a problem and I have yet to come up with a solution. I always clean all the buns out everyday but still prefer them to use a tray as it keeps everything so much cleaner.

Back