• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newly neutered boys worries

Deeds14

Young Bun
Hi, we have had our two young boys neutered on Thursday, and I am a bi worried about both of their progress.

Sergeant seems to be eating ok hay-wise but hardly any pellets and won't touch much veg, and this morning I have found quite a lot of caecotrophs in his cage...is this just because he is not really eating anything or something more serious?

Bishop has only done very few poos because he is not really eating any pellets at all and only a bit of hay. Also no veg. The poos he has done are really small and do not look normal...

Luckily now they are both drinking water. They are going to e vets today for a post op check, and was wondering if there was anything you guys could help me with/suggest to the vet?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, it does take a day or two for things to get back to normal eating and pooing wise BUT it is essential that the buns have PAINKILLERS in order for them to feel comfortable to eat, it is usual for them to be given a gut mobiliser too to help things along.

Have you been given any painkillers for them? Any they had at the vets on Thursday will have worn off by now.

Fresh herbs are great for tempting them to eat, Basil, Corriander, Parsley, Mint, also, Rocket. You could try some grated carrot or apple - I mix these in with some finely shredded greens. You can feed all of these freshly washed so they retain some extra water. Offer fresh tasty bits often, clearing away any uneaten food - say every hour or so. You can try softening the pellets with warm water to make a slurry and offer it in a little dish. Alternatively the vet can give you some Recovery food to offer or syringe feed.

Water consumption is important too and it is a good idea to give a bowl as well as a bottle as they find it easier to drink from a bowl if they are poorly.

Thanks, yeah they seem to be drinking fine which is good, and they don't seem to be in any pain, they are hopping about and standing up as usual, so I don't think it is a pain issue, I might ask the vet if he thinks that a gut stimulator is necessary though. Thanks :)

Well....remember rabbits are a prey animal so hide their pain very well. Ask a man if he thinks he'd need painkillers after such an operation!:lol:

It is good they are moving around but do prevent them from jumping up or down from things until they are healed.

Keep offering tasy bits of food at very regular intervals is my best advice and what has worked for me together with providing a quiet dark area where they can feel very safe - mine all started eating and pooing overnight once they were left alone in the dark kitchen.

Remember, no hay, shavings (not advisable at any time) or straw for bedding as it can irriate the wounds - feed hay from a hay rack.

When mine have been poorly natural foods such as apple tree leaves, dandilions or grass (cut with a pair of scissors not the lawn mower) have been a winner at prompting eating.

edited to add, Gut mobiliser is an oral medicine costing pence/pounds rather than 10's of pounds. Anyway much cheaper than a bun in Stassis any day :wave:

Thanks, I will give that a try, as we have been keeping them quite unburden so that we can keep an eye on them :oops: Also, one more question...how long normally until they are healed?

Thanks, I will give that a try, as we have been keeping them quite unhidden so that we can keep an eye on them :oops: Also, one more question...how long normally until they are healed?

My bun Barney was neutered on the 3rd and was there for his final check up yesterday, He bounced back pretty quick mind and was eating and pooping as normal the same night as his operation whereas the other 2 buns took nearly 48 hours to get back to normal. His bits are lovely and healed when you look at him although the stitches still haven't dissolved properly yet.

Thanks guys, we got some fiberplex and metacam today. Bishop didn't like being syringed the fiberplex so he bit my OH on the bum really hard! :lol:

Back