• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

opinions pleasee

Are they small buns? The hutch isn't very high or deep and it's not very long either :?
The run isn't very big either :(
The metal pen doesn't have a secure lid or bottom so you couldn't use it when you're not around.

Sorry :?

Are they small buns? The hutch isn't very high or deep and it's not very long either :?
The run isn't very big either :(
The metal pen doesn't have a secure lid or bottom so you couldn't use it when you're not around.

Sorry :?

This. My bunny Riley has free range of the garden all day, everyday. Is this not an option for you? Not even for a few hours?

Happy Birthday!

It's lovely that you are getting a new hutch and run, but the ones you have posted aren't big enough or secure enough for garden use.

The hutch needs to be 6ft x 2ft wide x 2ft tall and the run needs to be at least 6ft x 4ft but preferably bigger.

The play pen is fine if you are at home and supervising, but they are too flimsy to be used when you are out - they can be knocked over both by energetic rabbits and by cats, foxes etc that might enter the garden. The netting on the top also isn't reliable to keep them in or predators out.

I am sure some people on here can recommend some good hutch manufacturers, or you could get a wendyhouse or shed instead, which gives them loads more room and is easier to clean out.

Thank-you for all of your advise, yes they would be small buns.
I have now re thought about the play pen and i am going to get this one http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/massive-rabbit-guinea_pig_playpen_pets-run-folding-tr62452.html , they will be in this all day, and then from 3pm every day the whole garden, but they will have the option of going in there hutch ( it has a door on the run ) but they can be outside on the grass until night, then in there hutch shut away, so overall they would only be in their hutch for the night time anyway.
I am also going to get them this http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=484 so that they can go and shelter during the day whilst they are in the play pen /garden.
Thank-you all so much for your advise x

That's great and is the setup I have for the foster buns. The run is big enough for a good hop about and they love going in and out of the wee house. I have a litter tray in there which saves mounds of poo piling up on the grass. Enjoy!

The run is a great choice - I have one too and its very handy and light to move around. If you look on either 'zooplus' or ebay you can get them at half that price or less! :thumb: Mine never used the box when it was attached, but when I put it inside the run they like sitting on the roof! :lol:
Also, I would cover the outside of the run in chicken wire or small mesh as several RU bunnies, including one of my own, have had accidents getting their head stuck in the bars when suddenly frightened.

I still think you can do better for the same price with the hutch, even if they are only locked inside it at night. More space = happier, less territorial bunnies, easier to handle and care for, easier to clean out etc.

QUOTE=Poppy <3;4391627]Thank-you for all of your advise, yes they would be small buns.
I have now re thought about the play pen and i am going to get this one http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/massive-rabbit-guinea_pig_playpen_pets-run-folding-tr62452.html , they will be in this all day, and then from 3pm every day the whole garden, but they will have the option of going in there hutch ( it has a door on the run ) but they can be outside on the grass until night, then in there hutch shut away, so overall they would only be in their hutch for the night time anyway.
I am also going to get them this http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=484 so that they can go and shelter during the day whilst they are in the play pen /garden.
Thank-you all so much for your advise x[/QUOTE]

Can I give some advice on this run, due the horrific experince I had with Leo two days ago.

If you get this run please cover it with a wire mesh as Leo who is lionhead so not that small, got his head stuck between the bars. This could have been fatel so easily.
Thankfuly he has only damaged his claws and grazed his eye.

Can I give some advice on this run, due the horrific experince I had with Leo two days ago.

If you get this run please cover it with a wire mesh as Leo who is lionhead so not that small, got his head stuck between the bars. This could have been fatel so easily.
Thankfuly he has only damaged his claws and grazed his eye.

Oh no!, i am so sorry to hear this, and thank god its only a grazed eye, thank-you for your advise and i will deffiently be putting wire mesh round the outside of the pen so this can not happen to mine.

The run is a great choice - I have one too and its very handy and light to move around. If you look on either 'zooplus' or ebay you can get them at half that price or less! :thumb: Mine never used the box when it was attached, but when I put it inside the run they like sitting on the roof! :lol:
Also, I would cover the outside of the run in chicken wire or small mesh as several RU bunnies, including one of my own, have had accidents getting their head stuck in the bars when suddenly frightened.

I still think you can do better for the same price with the hutch, even if they are only locked inside it at night. More space = happier, less territorial bunnies, easier to handle and care for, easier to clean out etc.

Just had a search around and found it for a lot cheaper price thank-you!, i no.. i'm dissapointed with the hutch too, but i am going to create a tunnel from the gate on the run of the hutch to the run on the lawn so they can have it open all night, then when i get home from school i will open the gate on the run which will be on the grass lawn so that they can be free range till night time were they have to go back to their run on the grass, but if they wanted the could use the tunnel going back to the run on the hutch to go to bed if wanted... phew! got that ? lol :shock::shock:

Just had a search around and found it for a lot cheaper price thank-you!, i no.. i'm dissapointed with the hutch too, but i am going to create a tunnel from the gate on the run of the hutch to the run on the lawn so they can have it open all night, then when i get home from school i will open the gate on the run which will be on the grass lawn so that they can be free range till night time were they have to go back to their run on the grass, but if they wanted the could use the tunnel going back to the run on the hutch to go to bed if wanted... phew! got that ? lol :shock::shock:

If this run has the section which lifts up where you slip in one of the small hides please be careful as I have heard of a number of people who have used this hatch by foxes to access the run with devastating results. It would be worth putting a padlock to stop this being opened up by predators.

There have also been instants of foxes lifting up the runs as they are not very heavy, it would be worth considering only letting them have access to the metal run when you are about.

If you havent bought the hutch / run yet could you consider putting all the money together to get a bigger hutch / run?

If this run has the section which lifts up where you slip in one of the small hides please be careful as I have heard of a number of people who have used this hatch by foxes to access the run with devastating results. It would be worth putting a padlock to stop this being opened up by predators.

There have also been instants of foxes lifting up the runs as they are not very heavy, it would be worth considering only letting them have access to the metal run when you are about.

If you havent bought the hutch / run yet could you consider putting all the money together to get a bigger hutch / run?

Thanks for those ideas, i will defo put a padlock on the ramp of run and will keep an eye and see how things go, i'm afraid i have the hutch and run combo already (got it bought for me) it isnt ideal but not too bad

I havent bought the added on run which will be on the grass yet, i want it too be as large as poss so any ideas would be great,
Thanks alot x

Thanks for those ideas, i will defo put a padlock on the ramp of run and will keep an eye and see how things go, i'm afraid i have the hutch and run combo already (got it bought for me) it isnt ideal but not too bad

I havent bought the added on run which will be on the grass yet, i want it too be as large as poss so any ideas would be great,
Thanks alot x

It is not the ramp of the run which is a problem as wooden hutches tend to be heavier than the metal ones. It is on this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638 the bit where the little hide goes through. Foxes can push the slidey bit up and let themselves in.

Another option would be to get another hutch identical to what you have and put them either back to back or side by side and join the two together.

Back