• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moral/Vet Dilemma (Guinea Pig) U/D Being Treated

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
I know its not a bunny, just wondered what people's opinions are on the following situation:

A close friend of mine rang on Thursday to say she had found a lump on one of her GPs' face (she has 2 males, about 4 years old). It seems to have come up pretty quickly, only noticed since back from holiday this week. Its hard and round and in his cheek. He's a little skinny, more than the other GP, and has previously had a stroke.
Being a nearly-vet she rang for advice on what it could be, how they would treat it, how much it would cost and whether it would be successful.
I said it is most likely to be:
A. An abscess - common, treatable but may take long term antibiotics and care, may recurr or be chronic, likely to cost £50-100 inc consults, drainage, abx etc
B. Tumour - depends on type and how quickly its growing, may be operable, likely to be expensive, may recurr

So she wants me to see it (I told her I can't tell her what it is without a needle aspiration/biopsy) so going tomorrow (Sat). She doesn't want to spend "too much money" on it, as they can't afford it (the "don't want to spend the money we have on this" type, not the "broke and have no money" type). So including the first consultation she only wants to give it one try with antibiotics if its an abscess, and if its a tumour she'll just leave it until it becomes uncomfortable and then PTS. If the abx don't work she'll then PTS.
This leaves one lonely male guinea pig behind - she doesn't want to get another young boar for company as they don't want a perpetual cycle of different age guinea pigs, and are either going to move abroad or get a dog in the next couple of years.
I said it isn't fair to leave the remaining GP alone for what could be several years to come, so if she doesn't want to get him a companion she should rehome him to someone who will. She is considering this but feels like that is "off loading" an animal when it becomes inconvenient.

Here's the dilemma:
1. Should she be prepared to spend more money and time in curing the abscess before PTS? If its likely to be chronic or recur is it more humane to PTS earlier rather than later?
2. If the abscess is treatable but she doesn't want to spend the money, should she rehome BOTH GPs to someone who will treat it?
3. Should she rehome the remaining GP, thus adding to the rehoming problem, when she can afford to care for thim but he will be lonely?

Just wondered what GP owners and rescues thought of the situation? If Iwere her vet I am not sure what I would advise.

Last edited:
She has done the right thing in seeking professional advice and considering the options. Well done on her. Some would have left the poor piggie to suffer, or may not have even noticed a problem. Once on a course of treatment, she may keep going. She obviously cares enough to take action.

She has another option should she be eventually left with a lonely pig - rescue an older girlie pig for company. If of similar (or older) age, she will not be stuck in an 'endless cycle' of different age piggies, and it would fit in with her long term plans. Should she still be looking at rehoming in a year or 2, she should return 'new' piggie with her original boy to the rescue.

Good luck

I would always advise treating the condition - if it is an abscess, then antibiotics (eg Zithromax) can be very effective. If it is a tumour these can be successfully removed (several of my piggies have had successful lumpectomies). If money is an issue I would advise re-homing to a responsible and caring home/rescue. Again, in the case of a lonely male, I would recommend re-homing as above. I would never condone having any animal pts for reasons of convenience/finance. I see that she feels it may be "offloading" a problem, but surely it is far better for the piggy to be "offloaded" to someone who understands the situation and will happily take them on, than to be pts. I second the excellent advice from Shimmer too.

Last edited:
1. Should she be prepared to spend more money and time in curing the abscess before PTS?

In an ideal world, yes. You say that she has money but would just rather not spend it on the GP.

If its likely to be chronic or recur is it more humane to PTS earlier rather than later?

If it were my pet, I would want to at least try a long-term course of antibiotics first to see if that worked. If it recurred at a later date, then I would probably have to reconsider then.

2. If the abscess is treatable but she doesn't want to spend the money, should she rehome BOTH GPs to someone who will treat it?

Yes. Although it makes me feel uncomfortable to be suggesting putting the burden of the veterinary costs onto a rescue or another owner - the GP deserves a chance of a happy life rather than be pts for something that could be treated.

3. Should she rehome the remaining GP, thus adding to the rehoming problem, when she can afford to care for thim but he will be lonely?

I would say rehome - if she doesn't want to pay out for the poorly GP, what's to say she won't want to pay out if anything should happen to the other one too?

It must be the sort of thing a vet sees all the time, sadly. :( Yes, she obviously cares enough to have noticed and to want to do something but she doesn't care enough to actually want to part with the cash to do that.

Vikki..if it is an abcess and she won't treat it..we will take him and get him treated..we can take his friend too..keep them together then rehome as a pair

Ideally she should do this..but if she can't/won't then our offer is there..we have 100% success rate with gp abcesses..even ones that are marked as untreatable:D

Let me know

Vikki..if it is an abcess and she won't treat it..we will take him and get him treated..we can take his friend too..keep them together then rehome as a pair

Ideally she should do this..but if she can't/won't then our offer is there..we have 100% success rate with gp abcesses..even ones that are marked as untreatable:D

Let me know

How absolutely lovely of you xxxxxxx

Thanks for the input - I agree that if she doesn't want to spend the money to cure the abscess (if thats what it is) then she should rehome to someone who will and give him the chance of a longer life.
I'm fairly sure she won't though - she sees that as callous and uncaring to give them away just because one is sick, whereas I think she doesn't want to partly due to pride in having to explain her actions to someone else. Its easier to privately PTS an animal and not have to justify yourself to anyone.

With your 100% cure rate - what treatment do you use? perhaps if I can suggest something thats highly likely to work then she might be more willing to give it a proper go. (we don't get taught anything about GP abscesses at uni.....anyone else sense a theme with these problems and me not being taught anything?! :roll::roll:)

Well, I didn't get to go see the guinea pig as my dad had blocked my car in and I couldn't find his keys! Grrrrrrr.....

She said he is a little worse today, so seems to be deteriorating fairly quickly. I said she should get him seen today rather than Monday but I don't think she will.

I don't think I want to vet for friends when I qualify, its too hard combining professional and personal relationships.

Zithromax (Azithromycin) has a very good reputation for working effectively on abcesses if this is of any help. Is there any chance your friend could bring the piggy to you? If I were closer I would offer a pig taxi.

Well he's been to the vets, it was an abscess, thankfully not too expensive so its been drained and flushed and put on antibiotics. It still needs daily flushing but hopefully he'll make a good recovery. Glad she did treat him in the end. I still haven't seen him as been so busy though.

Back