• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny arriving tommorow- how do i ask for a donation?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I'm not great at asking for money off people.

I really would appreciate a donation with the bunny who is coming tomorrow. I'm at full capacity, but i couldn't turn this little one down.

Anyways- i have over £70 worth of initial costs to cover and I'd like a little help as it's costing me a small fortune at the moment personally and i am not doing any fundraising yet.

Is there a subtle way to ask that is polite and compassionate towards the women. I don't want to upset her.

Thanks.

I'm not great at asking for money off people.

I really would appreciate a donation with the bunny who is coming tomorrow. I'm at full capacity, but i couldn't turn this little one down.

Anyways- i have over £70 worth of initial costs to cover and I'd like a little help as it's costing me a small fortune at the moment personally and i am not doing any fundraising yet.

Is there a subtle way to ask that is polite and compassionate towards the women. I don't want to upset her.

Thanks.

maybe you could say how much its going to cost you, like say 'ill get them vaccinated and .... .... .... and sa all the things and prices and maybe they will say well let me give you some money? x

On the form I have for people to sign their rabbits over on, it has a paragraph about donations and how much it's going to cost to get each rabbit ready. I go through the form and point out the donation part asking for them to help.

There is no easy way, but if you are going to survive doing this, you have to get used to doing it and also get used to them making up all manner of excuses when they don't give you anything at all.

Each case has to be dealt with indivudually and the reactions you get will need their own way of responding. This is something that you can only learn as you do it.

Do you have signs up saying a donation and the reasons for, is it in the hand over form (if you have one), you could go through the form with her and say will you be paying a donation towards the cost of care...,maybe

On the form I have for people to sign their rabbits over on, it has a paragraph about donations and how much it's going to cost to get each rabbit ready. I go through the form and point out the donation part asking for them to help.

There is no easy way, but if you are going to survive doing this, you have to get used to doing it and also get used to them making up all manner of excuses when they don't give you anything at all.

Each case has to be dealt with indivudually and the reactions you get will need their own way of responding. This is something that you can only learn as you do it.

aah beat me to it...same minds ;)

Im not very good at asking people for anything and have no rescue experience but I'll try...

"Would you like to leave a donation to help with the vets bills for vaccinating and neutering the bunny?"

is nice and open, not feeling pushed into it, however most likely will only get a small donation or a 'no'

"How much would you like to donate towards the bunny's vaccination and neutering costs?"

this assumes the person is going to, and so they feel obliged to leave at least some donation and most will not say no. They feel obliged to but by their own conscience not you, yet it is a little more pushy than the first.

The problem is, as you have not mentioned a donation beforehand, the person may not have brought much money with them or may feel unprepared or 'sprung upon'. I think it may be best to mention it earlier in the proceedings, however definately AFTER you have arranged to definately have the bunny, and very gently put (try the first one or for something even softer 'If you like you can leave a donation to help with....') so as to still guarentee the rabbit comes to you. Its a tricky one.

eta : :lol: Im such a slow typer! other suggestions about the form are very good, as you arent really ASKING, the legal document is asking

Last edited:
I just talked extensively to people who are dropping off rabbits. Levi's previous owner gave me £50 to cover his neuter and even gave us a bag of hay. Just a matter of talking and explaining things to people :wave:

Thankyou everyone- i didn't even ask. I mentioned I'd be going to the vets etc. I will try next time and put it on the form- i didn't realize i didn't have anything in my sign over form. I'm so soft when it comes to asking for money. I shouldn't be i worked in sales long enough.

Apart from anything else, by asking for a donation, you may help make the person giving the animal up aware that should have been their responsibility and that rabbits are not throw away pets. Most people who understand the commitment and who give their rabbits up for genuine reasons will want to donate to ensure they get the vet treatment they need.

By not making it hard for people when they handover the animals, it can kind of perpetuate the idea that it's easy come easy go. So I find that even if you don't get a donation it’s important to ask. By doing so you will probably have made it quite uncomfortable for the people giving the rabbit up and I think that in many cases it should be an uncomfortable experience.

There are always exceptions where the people really don't want to give their rabbits up and it's the last option available so this has to be understood too.

You will need to ask because without the donations, you won't survive and it should of course be coming in part from the people who need your help.

I do realise and should point out that if the rabbits are at risk and by saying you have to have a donation, it makes the people go and dump them instead, it's just better to get the animals safe and just accept that you won't get a penny towards their new lives.

Apart from anything else, by asking for a donation, you may help make the person giving the animal up aware that should have been their responsibility and that rabbits are not throw away pets. Most people who understand the commitment and who give their rabbits up for genuine reasons will want to donate to ensure they get the vet treatment they need.

By not making it hard for people when they handover the animals, it can kind of perpetuate the idea that it's easy come easy go. So I find that even if you don't get a donation it’s important to ask. By doing so you will probably have made it quite uncomfortable for the people giving the rabbit up and I think that in many cases it should be an uncomfortable experience.

There are always exceptions where the people really don't want to give their rabbits up and it's the last option available so this has to be understood too.

You will need to ask because without the donations, you won't survive and it should of course be coming in part from the people who need your help.

I do realise and should point out that if the rabbits are at risk and by saying you have to have a donation, it makes the people go and dump them instead, it's just better to get the animals safe and just accept that you won't get a penny towards their new lives.

Thanks that's helpful. I originally asked for a donation with this lady, but she backed off bringing the bun all together . If i hadn't have said don't worry about it, I'm not sure what would have happened to the bun. It is already obviously suffering with his eyes or teeth.

Back