• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wow wonder if hell change more.

shadow05

Mama Doe
i was just sat in the pen with scooter and i couldnt believe my eyes when he did it but he sat on my lap hes not done that since a baby and when he did it as a baby he normally peed on me. hes becoming more wats the word errrrmmm confident no affectionate in his own little way. :love:

hes still a bit of a nausance but i cant fault him its probs spring fever kicking in. anyways im too happy to be even the slightest bit annoyed with him :D. i wonder wat hell do next, if he lets me hold him without a struggle ill be gob smacked :shock: really gob smacked but i wont hold my breath might a bit to much to ask for.

the neuter seems to have worked really well just wish i had timed it better for my sanity hes still chewing on bars and nothing i do makes a difference at all so ive gone back to wearing ear plugs and seriously hoping he doesnt do anything naughty well im asleep. like last night when he made a seriously big puddle that i didnt think he was capable of making.:D:lol:

Is he an indoor bun? How much space has he got and how much contact do you have with him day to day? xx

the contact from day to day is different on days i have collage hardly any as i get in at half 5 and fo to collage 7 in the morning so i only have enought time in the morning to feed and give him a little attention.

he has been an indoor bun all his life and as much as id likes to i cant free range him and i cant make him an outdoor rabbit because other dangerous are the fact that my mom wont allow it his current him is 6 by 5 i think and that is all i can give him im at my maxium at the moment my already thinks that ive spoiled him to much because hes practically got half my room already :lol:

I'm no expert but he may be just need either a bit of companionship or just when you are home let him explore, if you have space just lay on the floor and let him have a wander over you so he gets to know your smell better.

Has he got lots of toys to play with and things to knaw on? To stop him getting bored when you're not home.

xxx

it really dont work no matter how many toys u give him or things to chew on or even something to eat he loses interest and starts biting the bars as for letting him out my room is not safe at all even with bunny proofing.

i know he needs a friend but my mom is refusing to answer at the moment based on wat he is like shes told me to wiat because she wants to make a proper judgement on wat hes like, i said well thats not really fair spring fever has kicked in already so the noise hes making now he wouldnt really make that much. i also said he has changed a bit but he still needs a friend he is unhappy and i can tell but my hands are tied if i keep asking shell get more annoyed and say no. :(.

i know myself wat hes like and i can tell hes lonely and that wat he wants is a friend there is only so much one bunny can do by himself to amuse himself. my main fear is that he will reject a bunny because hes lived on his own for a while, its his home and he may not allow it. :(.

im taking a huge risk in gambling on the fact that he wont reject the miss that i get him.

have you thought about the fact that maybe scooter has got his wriggling from learned behaviour?

i.e ----- you pick him up --> he struggles --> you put him down
therefore --> he struggles more to be put down
hence --> a bunny who refuses to allow being picked up full stop

i think you could you try picking him up, holding him until he has stopped struggling. hold him and stroke him for a few minutes and then put him down.
if you try this a few times a day, over a few weeks, you might find that he stops struggling so much, because he realises that even when he doesn't struggle, you are safe and you will put him back to where he wants to be - the floor.
i don't mean it because i want you to make him into a lap bunny as it were, some bunnies just don't like to be held, period.

but i know you have been having problems checking his neuter site, so this might help in the future with health checks.

would also help your relationship in that he realises you are a safe person who doesn't want to hurt him :)

have you thought about the fact that maybe scooter has got his wriggling from learned behaviour?

i.e ----- you pick him up --> he struggles --> you put him down
therefore --> he struggles more to be put down
hence --> a bunny who refuses to allow being picked up full stop

i think you could you try picking him up, holding him until he has stopped struggling. hold him and stroke him for a few minutes and then put him down.
if you try this a few times a day, over a few weeks, you might find that he stops struggling so much, because he realises that even when he doesn't struggle, you are safe and you will put him back to where he wants to be - the floor.
i don't mean it because i want you to make him into a lap bunny as it were, some bunnies just don't like to be held, period.

but i know you have been having problems checking his neuter site, so this might help in the future with health checks.

would also help your relationship in that he realises you are a safe person who doesn't want to hurt him :)

i thought about this to bit i dont like to force him ive come to realise that he will never be a bunny to pick up and im okay with that. :(

i mean i dont like being picked up to and i know how annoying it is.

it would help with the health checking, but i think id rather wiat and see how much more confident he will get with me. it is a really big surprise that he trusts me enought to go sit on me that is a huge step for him id rather let him build his confidance and then try when hes more comfortable.

plus the fact that i really struggle with him anyways. u wouldnt believe it but hes really strong and can be quite fiesty some times.

ill try it anyways and see how he gets on though i suppose its worth a try. :lol:

With my bunny Terry, if he wriggles the first time I pick him up then I put him back down for a moment so he calms down. I then let him run about a little more and then I put both hands gently by his side as soon as he's been still for a second or so (this makes him stand still) and then I scoop him up again and hold him up to my chest.

The second time he usually allows me to hold him for as long as I please (like checking where he was neutered lately in particular) and then I put him back to the ground and give him a stroke and call him a good boy. He doesn't like me walking with him though but if I stay still he seems to enjoy being petted with mum.

I do this with my newer girl also - as well as reward her with a little bit of herbs. She goes mental over it. :D

Last edited:
I think you're doing really well with him. You've worked with what you've got to improve his life and it's starting to pay off. :)
I'm sure with time there will be more changes you can make to make his life even better and you'll both be better off for it.

Lying on the floor is a good idea, getting down to his level you are less intimidating. I also agree with snowball about picking him up, but only do it if you are comfortable with it. I'm sure with time you will learn to trust each other more.

I think you're doing really well with him. You've worked with what you've got to improve his life and it's starting to pay off. :)
I'm sure with time there will be more changes you can make to make his life even better and you'll both be better off for it.

Lying on the floor is a good idea, getting down to his level you are less intimidating. I also agree with snowball about picking him up, but only do it if you are comfortable with it. I'm sure with time you will learn to trust each other more.

^___^ this
just realised i had forgotten to put anything in about how great i think you are doing.
think it is great to see how much you have listened to advice from people on the forum and how you have improved scooters life recently.
so kudos for that :) you are doing really well :)

With my bunny Terry, if he wriggles the first time I pick him up then I put him back down for a moment so he calms down. I then let him run about a little more and then I put both hands gently by his side as soon as he's been still for a second or so (this makes him stand still) and then I scoop him up again and hold him up to my chest.

The second time he usually allows me to hold him for as long as I please (like checking where he was neutered lately in particular) and then I put him back to the ground and give him a stroke and call him a good boy. He doesn't like me walking with him though but if I stay still he seems to enjoy being petted with mum.

I do this with my newer girl also - as well as reward her with a little bit of herbs. She goes mental over it. :D

ill try this as well i think it will work better, ill have to get his favourite treats out again. the last time i did something similar to this he went quite crazy for it lol he likes being praised lol he starts running around, shakes his head and binkys lol its fun to watch him some times.

i think it will depend on wat time of the day i go in at though, he can be really grumpy at one time and if i try and hold him at this time he starts thumping and will bite but not properly.

i just hope when it comes to bonding him with a new bunny things will go okay, im not very sure on how hell act really, he can be very hard to predict wat hes going to do. i think ill adopt one from a rescue but i want one thats still a baby like a couple of months old like somewhere like 5 months. i think it will be easier for me to bond with ideally i want one for scooter mostly but id like for it to be bonded to me and trust me in case scooter ever tryes to attack it.

i think hes more likely to attack a new comer. :(

im very happy that a load of changes have been made to his life now. i very thankful to this forum and the people on it that have helped me. id have hated to wonder wat id have done if i kept scooter in that small cage and then got another rabbit on top of that.

he probably would have become the devil in form of a rabbit. he still is a bit but i think that will be something that will either stop or ill just learn to ignore it better :lol:

oh yea for some reason when i go in now he keeps nipping my legs and trying to dig at my cloths can anybody tell me why he is doing this is it frustration or just plane bordem.

^___^ this
just realised i had forgotten to put anything in about how great i think you are doing.
think it is great to see how much you have listened to advice from people on the forum and how you have improved scooters life recently.
so kudos for that :) you are doing really well :)

thank u it means a lot to me. ive always wanted a rabbit since i was little and now ive finally gotten one ive realised that they are probably a lot more harder to raise properly and look after more than a dog.:lol:

its quite funny cause with the amount of information i get off this site ive sort of become an expert in it at collage. :lol: i mean the collage teachers there are quite skilled but they sort have the old way of taking care of rabbits none of the information is up to date and they certianly dont know that mixed rabbit food is bad theyve only just started putting some rabbits on just rabbit pellets, ive already told them that they need more hay than anything and less pellets.

i was in for work placement last week and i was told to clean the bunnys out so i took my chance to improve there home a bit and give them a proper clean out. i gave the floor a good old scrub cause one of the bunnies had been ill recently and nobody had cleaned his home properly with disinfectant so i cleaned it all out put loads of hay in more than i should have and then put him some new toys in and he was well happy.

opps srry im ranting again. :lol:

im very happy that a load of changes have been made to his life now. i very thankful to this forum and the people on it that have helped me. id have hated to wonder wat id have done if i kept scooter in that small cage and then got another rabbit on top of that.

he probably would have become the devil in form of a rabbit. he still is a bit but i think that will be something that will either stop or ill just learn to ignore it better :lol:

oh yea for some reason when i go in now he keeps nipping my legs and trying to dig at my cloths can anybody tell me why he is doing this is it frustration or just plane bordem.

Neither, sounds like he's a bit of a bossy boots who wants some cuddles or a treat. :p

Can vouch for that..if I go upstairs for a shower they follow me up and wait outside the bedroom door for me. When I blow dry my hair I shut the bedroom door because of the cable and scrathes on the door until I let him in. I think he thinks he's missing out on something!

xxx

Back