• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets At Home :(

allie1904

Mama Doe
I wish I didn't go in there sometimes, it's so upsetting :cry:

I went in today out of curiousity more than anything, there has been a giant house rabbit there for about 3 months now and no one has bought her..

She has a small enclousure, one tube and it's about a metre in height. I went and 'chatted' to her and she came over to say hello but I could only get one finger through the wire to pet her..

Then went over to the adoption centre and there were 3 buns, two hammies and a pig. It's heartbreaking to see the size of the cages. Even the poor hamsters were cramped and they are only little anyway.

Do you think it's just a ploy to sell animals that they aren't selling fast enough? If my pet needed a new home I think it would be the last place I would go..

It's heartbreaking :(

Last edited:
I wish I didn't go in there sometimes, it's so upsetting :cry:

I went in today out of curiousity more than anything, there has been a giant house rabbit there for about 3 months now and no one has bought her..

She has a small enclousure, one tube and it's about a metre in height. I went and 'chatted' to her and she came over to say hello but I could only get one finger through the wire to pet her..

Then went over to the adoption centre and there were 3 buns, two hammies and a pig. It's heartbreaking to see the size of the cages. Even the poor hamsters were cramped and they are only little anyway.

Do you think it's just a ploy to sell animals that they aren't selling fast enough? If I was an owner and my pet needed a new home I think it would be the last place I would go..

It's heartbreaking :(

if you google pets at home and read some reviews, it would appear that some of the animals are indeed animals that are no longer babies so are no longer "cute" and so they go in the adopt a pet section.
some are animals that are brought back though.

i can't remember where i read it though, read a few reviews online from ex members of the pets at home staff who have left.
i will try to find a link to one proving what i have said

I posted a topic the other week about a gorgeous black "giant rabbit" in the Preston P@H. Though our store is actually much better then some I have seen like Blackburn it's still sad to see that conti there for so many weeks. :(

poor bunny :( Luckily our pets at home is good and we are friends with one of the managers and they often donate things for my local guinea pigs rescues auctions etc. When they have giant rabbits in they let them run around the shop every day once its closed :) The adoption section in ours is nearly always empty so i dont think they put unwanted babies in there but i have heard that in others they do :( It isnt fair as people believe they are rescuing these animals when in fact they are just unwanted 'stock' :cry:

I have just rescued one of the gaints for pets at home. He is very festie and he will take alot of time to learn to trust us but he is going nowhere as I have falling in love with him. The staff at pah called himm bulldog and thought no one would want to rehome him with his problems .

What do you think happens to unwanted stock at other pet shops?

After a certain time they have to seperate them from the rest of the 'new stock'.

I suspect if they get sent back to the breeder they will just have their necks wrung.

Better that they get a home through the adoption part.

By the way the giant rabbits I wouldn't worry so much about. I think they always get a home in the end and the store staff should be letting them out of the enclosure for a run around. When someone pays the huge price they charge for the giant rabbits I think they are a lot less likely to be neglected or seen as 'disposable'.

I have just rescued one of the gaints for pets at home. He is very festie and he will take alot of time to learn to trust us but he is going nowhere as I have falling in love with him. The staff at pah called himm bulldog and thought no one would want to rehome him with his problems .

Ah that's lovely..wishing you a happy new friendship :rabbit2:

After a certain time they have to seperate them from the rest of the 'new stock'.

I suspect if they get sent back to the breeder they will just have their necks wrung.

By the way the giant rabbits I wouldn't worry so much about. I think they always get a home in the end and the store staff should be letting them out of the enclosure for a run around. When someone pays the huge price they charge for the giant rabbits I think they are a lot less likely to be neglected or seen as 'disposable'.

it's not the fact that they go into the adopt a pet section that bothers me as much.
think its the fact that unless you know better, you think you are rescuing the animal from when it has been unwanted, rather than it just being "too old" you know?
i'd still rather go to the adopt a pet section to get a pet than the main section though.

(and after this forum, would rather go to a rescue than a pet shop anyway)

I just thought there would be regulations on the housing conditions for the animals, a 2ft by 4ft 'tank' for 24hours a day is just a bit poo!

whenever i go in i never notice :lol: to busy with the bunnies its where i got scooter from as a baby. he was very cute and fast too thats how he got his name :D. it seemed to fit at the time.

but i get wat u mean with the hamsters they are in cramped conditions really cramped and they hardly have anything to play with either. the giant house rabbit that was in about 5 months ago is still in. i feel really bad for it. sometimes i think about taking the bunny home but i couldnt provide better home for it either :(.

i dont get why they dont stop trying to sell giant house bunnys cause nobody ever seems to want them. and from wat i know u need a lot of experience with just normally rabbits before taking a giant on, then there are other things that hve to be taken into account too. i dont get why they dont just put a group of younger small breeds like dwarf lops or better yet take it out altogether and use it to make more space for other animals. :evil: it annoys me more when i think about it.

poor bunny :( Luckily our pets at home is good and we are friends with one of the managers and they often donate things for my local guinea pigs rescues auctions etc. When they have giant rabbits in they let them run around the shop every day once its closed :) The adoption section in ours is nearly always empty so i dont think they put unwanted babies in there but i have heard that in others they do :( It isnt fair as people believe they are rescuing these animals when in fact they are just unwanted 'stock' :cry:

They are still rescuing them no matter how they came to be born, they have as much right as any other bun.

4 of mine have been rescued from there, they are all gorgeous and I really love them, I just feel like I cut out the middle man for 3 of them who looked so frightened there, it took ages for them to even let us touch them. The fourth I took from the adoption centre on christmas eve, she is a little black nethie who just loves to cuddles and is bonded with Bruce. They are both house buns.

Not being snappy or anything, just that all buns deserve a good life.

Whilst part of me feels its wrong to con people into adopting old stock etc I know first hand how much these animals suffer and need rescuing. One of the sweetest buns i've ever known came from the adoption section, very poorly due to malnurishment we certainly made him a happy boy and we loved him as he did us. He passed away as his tummy was wrecked from the start and the damage caused by their junk food and hay sweepings couldn't be reversed. The giants by us are each there for years. So sad :(

They are still rescuing them no matter how they came to be born, they have as much right as any other bun.

4 of mine have been rescued from there, they are all gorgeous and I really love them, I just feel like I cut out the middle man for 3 of them who looked so frightened there, it took ages for them to even let us touch them. The fourth I took from the adoption centre on christmas eve, she is a little black nethie who just loves to cuddles and is bonded with Bruce. They are both house buns.

Not being snappy or anything, just that all buns deserve a good life.

i get what you mean. i know that all of them deserve a good home.
but i kind of meant the way it is with the sob stories written next to them when those sob stories aren't true if you get me? when it says what happened and then you find out online that most of those sad stories aren't true.
i think that they shouldn't make things up. they would still get the "aww" factor if people read that they were too old to be sold in the main area etc. you know?
i rescued my hamster elmo from the adopt a pet bit and i loved him so much (he's passed away now) and i wouldn't change him for the world.
know that they all deserve a home, just think they should be honest about it :)

My first rabbits who were brothers came from P@H. I had done my research about caring for rabbits just not where to get them from:oops:. Anyway, one of them broke his leg when he was 4 months old doing nothing more than running around the kitchen, 2 wks after we got him. We wondered if perhaps he had been taken from his mum a bit too soon and was lacking in calcium. He recovered brilliantly thanks to my fab vet practice. It was a team effort getting a spilling to stay on a small bun's leg but they finally managed using two magnum ice cream sticks.

His brother then had to be pts due to massive internal problems. When I went in to tell them about it, the member of staff I spoke to just looked at me blankly then told me that if the rabbit was I'll before it left them it would have been taken care of. I don't know what reaction I expected, I certainly wasn't looking for anything financial.

My first rabbits who were brothers came from P@H. I had done my research about caring for rabbits just not where to get them from:oops:. Anyway, one of them broke his leg when he was 4 months old doing nothing more than running around the kitchen, 2 wks after we got him. We wondered if perhaps he had been taken from his mum a bit too soon and was lacking in calcium. He recovered brilliantly thanks to my fab vet practice. It was a team effort getting a spilling to stay on a small bun's leg but they finally managed using two magnum ice cream sticks.

His brother then had to be pts due to massive internal problems. When I went in to tell them about it, the member of staff I spoke to just looked at me blankly then told me that if the rabbit was I'll before it left them it would have been taken care of. I don't know what reaction I expected, I certainly wasn't looking for anything financial.

sorry to hear about your bun who had to be pts.
i'm not too sure what to say to the rest, as i am so tired that i don't really have a reply, sorry :( lol xx

I would have taken each and every one of them home if I could, I don't care if they are someone elses pets or pets at home pets, they need to be rescued where ever they came from. Bless their hearts cooped up in a shoe box.

I'm tempted to go and rescue a hammie tomorrow..

I would have taken each and every one of them home if I could, I don't care if they are someone elses pets or pets at home pets, they need to be rescued where ever they came from. Bless their hearts cooped up in a shoe box.

lol, go for it.
i would love to have a hamster again, but am too poor right now LOL

:lol: Yep, gets me like that too, thats how come I have 6 buns and 2 cats. Almost had a dog last week too, im such a softy, I just cant bare all the poor little creatures not being loved.

They do write on the label when one of the adoption rabbits was previously for sale in my local P@H. When they have been handed in it says something else like "my owner couldn't look after me anymore"

Back