• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie has the snuffles. UD he's got worse :(

Can we have some vibes for Charlie please I found him this afternoon with a green nose, I got him to the vets and he is now on baytril for a week poor boy :(
Luckily Delilah is fine, should I keep her with him or take her away from him?

SAM_9002.jpg

Last edited:
I was sitting up watching Charlie and Delilah last night and his nose started to become even more green, it was his last day today for the baytril too :(
I have rang the vets and he is going on a higher dosage and for a long period of time:cry:
Worst of all he keeps chasing after delilah and pulling her fur and trying to hump her, she ran over to me this morning to get away from him:cry:

I dont know what to do:cry::cry::cry::cry:

If it is snuffles (pasteurella, of a form) Baytril wont touch it im afraid, whatever the dose, in my opinion.

You'll need something like Depocillin, Zithromax. Possibly, depending on the severity, nebulised saline or another nebulised item.

If it is snuffles (pasteurella, of a form) Baytril wont touch it im afraid, whatever the dose, in my opinion.

You'll need something like Depocillin, Zithromax. Possibly, depending on the severity, nebulised saline or another nebulised item.

If the bunny has an infection I'm not sure saline would make much difference on its own. Although we used it for Bluebell it was primarily to help mosturise his nostrils and flush out the allergins that were exasterbating his condition as he has a history of allergies.

Baytril though ineffective given orally in our case is actually giving us some small improvement when given via a nebuliser instead so I'm starting to think that it is not necessarily the drug thats ineffective just that sometimes different methods of administration are necessary.

On a side note given our experiences I have asked Anne if she would consider publishing an article on the use of nebulisers in Rabbiting On. She thinks it would be interesting so is forwarding my email to Richard Saunders for his input.

GWS ! :]
And do you use wood shavings for bedding?
If yes I would remove them from his cage :D

Charlie doesn't have a cage I wouldn't insult him by putting him in a cage, he has a box with wood based cat litter in, his own human bed and a massive room full of toys.

The vet has suggested to use penicillin if the baytril doesn't help him, I have seen slight improvement up until last night. He started to chase Delilah and was really being nasty to her after he settled I noticed his nose was bright green I'm sure its the stress. It hasn't spread to his chest so thats one good thing, he has metacam to help him and is snuggled up with Delilah.

Has anyone had experience with penicillin with snuffles, if anyone knows a antibiotic that works please contact me as my vet is very open to using anything I suggest, I just want my baby better again:cry:

Charlie doesn't have a cage I wouldn't insult him by putting him in a cage, he has a box with wood based cat litter in, his own human bed and a massive room full of toys.

The vet has suggested to use penicillin if the baytril doesn't help him, I have seen slight improvement up until last night. He started to chase Delilah and was really being nasty to her after he settled I noticed his nose was bright green I'm sure its the stress. It hasn't spread to his chest so thats one good thing, he has metacam to help him and is snuggled up with Delilah.

Has anyone had experience with penicillin with snuffles, if anyone knows a antibiotic that works please contact me as my vet is very open to using anything I suggest, I just want my baby better again:cry:

Ginger has snuffles :wave:

She's on 0.1ml Depocillin, every 3 days currently. We do the jabs at home.

Ginger has snuffles :wave:

She's on 0.1ml Depocillin, every 3 days currently. We do the jabs at home.

Thanks Gray I will ask the vet:wave: How long has Ginger had snuffles?
I couldn't imagine doing the injections at home but if Charlie needs it he will get it!:)

My two have snuffles. I was advised by RU folk to get a culture and sensitivity test done, and we are waiting for Widget to clear the baytril she's been on before we do this. That said, Sprocket and Widget seemed a bit better yesterday, but we've had signs of improvement before then a relapse so it's a bit of a waiting game for us at the moment...

bertie was diagnosed with pasturella following a culture and sensitivity test last february. Ever since hes had course after course of baytril with various eye drops...inc tiacil and ducts flushed.

he has a wet patch under each nostril but luckily no thick snot for some time...but that doesnt mean its gone and doesnt need treatment but doesnt fit the stereotypical description of the snuffles that is everywhere on the internet and bunny books. Its all really confusing.

our vet has been onto edinburgh vets and richard saunders at bristol..and john chitty...and i am going to take bertie to the vets for a depocillin injection every 5 days for 6 weeks...berties a frenchie but its the vets who have checked and decided his dosage.

my old vet who left to have a baby said not to take bertie out regulalry as it would worsen his symptoms..but htis is essential...

good luck..its a scary world.:wave:

I have two with snuffles. Both are on 3 daily injections of Engemycin.

One of them has had snuffles forever and BB's started in November and quickly spread to her lung, but she's now getting back on track
I'm thinking about asking the vet to review her meds when she goes in a few weeks, and maybe try the Zithromax to see if that hits it harder.

As he's got green snot has the vet give you some Bisolvin to help thin the mucus?

I wouldn't consider splitting him from his partner as he will find that really stressful.

The partners of my snuffly rabbits haven't become infected fro their partners.

Grim has some sort of infection in his nose. He's on depocillin injections. 0.6ml every three days. Big weight difference between him and Ginger. :)
Seeing an improvement after a week. :wave:

i have also used piriton on bertie...after the pus much had dried up...its left him with allergies on top:shock:

hes had soooo many courses of baytril..but is due to begin depocillin injections every 5 days for 6 weeks!!

ive even been told to sit bertie in the batroom with the shower on hig setting to make it steamy for him in an emergency...takes me back to making sheets into tents on chairs with a boiling kettle when my eldest daughter had bad croup attacks!!:shock:

i have never been given bisolvon for bertie...but he has been having clear nasal discharge...so far so good. But our old vet never even mentioned it when he had thick white discharge and breathing probs:?

alli can do is send vibes and nosey rubs for charlie....xx

ooh dont part him from his partner....berties been symptomatic for over a year now.....and the other buns touch wood have never caught it....:wave:

ooh nooo i used to use wood pellet litter...DONT and dont use fine bedding straw like russell rabbit bedding. I have been using BIO CATOLET with only the hay they pull in to eat. bio catoelt is brill no dust great for buns and our cats and best for me and bertie who have allegic reactions to dust:oops: the hay is from the dust free hay company...a mix of soft and stalky hay.

come on charlie....get better soon xx

Back