• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dental bun betty

breeze

Mama Doe
decided collect dental bun and go from here.booked in vets for monday so will see what he suggests.shes eaten some spring greens and afew pellets so can still eat which im glad about.woman feels awful as didnt know you had check teeth often.you probably can see pic very good as camera stupid.how bad are the teeth?
IMG01071-20110211-1459.jpg

IMG01072-20110211-1459.jpg

They look fairly bad :(

Malloclusion is horrible, poor bunster.

I take it bun is going to the vets for an incisor removal?

aw,
im glad you have decided to bring him home with you.
he is a very lucky bunny :)
hope that it isn't too costly for you to get him sorted out :)

shes going have them clipped firstly as she may have an infection as snotty nose so isnt in full health and not sure how shed handle anesthetic.will sort clipping as a short term solution but think they will need removing

shes going have them clipped firstly as she may have an infection as snotty nose so isnt in full health and not sure how shed handle anesthetic.will sort clipping as a short term solution but think they will need removing

Its possible, if she has a runny nose, that she has other issues, such as an RTI or dental roots causing growth to the nasal area :(

Does she have a runny eye at all?

Removal isn't always necessary :wave: Gus has his front teeth burred every 8 weeks or so, removal is quite a big op so I'd rather not do it unless it has to be done :)

:)

Thank you for taking the time to post that, its nice to know theres alternatives!

I just assumed, with such bad mis-direction of the teeth there, that they'd need removing :(

Great that theres an option.

I've also read that having them burred/clipped frequently can put un-needed pressure on the roots and cause them to shatter, is that also a concern?

:)

Thank you for taking the time to post that, its nice to know theres alternatives!

I just assumed, with such bad mis-direction of the teeth there, that they'd need removing :(

Great that theres an option.

I've also read that having them burred/clipped frequently can put un-needed pressure on the roots and cause them to shatter, is that also a concern?

They shouldn't be clipped they should be burred which doesn't put pressure on the roots, my vet uses a tool like a little dremmel disk cutter thing and cuts them as far back as he can safely do. Gus doesn't struggle really so it is a good option for him. The time needed between has actually got longer and longer too :)

The picture isn't actually that bad, Gus's were very similar. I have seem teeth growing almost straight out!

They shouldn't be clipped they should be burred which doesn't put pressure on the roots, my vet uses a tool like a little dremmel disk cutter thing and cuts them as far back as he can safely do. Gus doesn't struggle really so it is a good option for him. The time needed between has actually got longer and longer too :)

The picture isn't actually that bad, Gus's were very similar. I have seem teeth growing almost straight out!

Thanks for that :)

I think i read the OP said they were going to be clipped, rather than burred :)

Thanks for that :)

I think i read the OP said they were going to be clipped, rather than burred :)

I think a lot of people use the term "clipped" for any method, I often say Gus is having his teeth clipped, I would check with the vet to see how he plans to do it.

Dave needs his clipping every 4-6 weeks and Eddie had his done regularly as neither were well enough for a GA. Valerie has terrible front teeth which are too weak to be removed, in fact she rarely needs them burred as they tend to break off themselves :(

they tend to break off themselves :(

Sweetpea has really weird teeth, her incisors are far apart and twisted her "peg" teeth are at the front so she almost had four front teeth, they never seem to cause her problems but do look like they break off as they are always short and a bit jagged.

Good to see they don't look too bad :)

You'll have to be careful with the top ones though...they look like they curl inwards, so could potentially cause sores in the mouth

What a beautiful bunny, glad you've come to the rescue :):love: I have a rabbit that suffers from malocclusion and has to have his teeth clipped every 4 months or so. I have managed to find a vet who will perform this without a GA which is obviously better for the rabbit. Not all vets will do this without a GA so if you do have to have it done on a regular basis it may be worth scouting round for one who will. More pics please. :wave::love:

Back