• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

banana for bunnies

xx-snowball-xx

Wise Old Thumper
how much banana is ok for bunnies to eat?

i saw on a post today, that someone fed bananas in small amounts.

are bananas like apple etc where they should only have a little bit?

because i have been feeding snowball half a banana at a time :oops::oops:

he has banana about 3 / 4 times a week. have i been giving him too much?

Same as things like carrots, they have a very high sugar content so should be occasional treats :)

Mine love banana!

That sounds like a lot of banana. I read to only give them a tiny amount. I give mine a few little pieces on a rare occasion. Maybe I am over protective with fruit though? :oops:

Think of them as a serious high sugar bunny treats for special occasions, hefty rewards for goodness and to tempt a sick bunny to go face down in recovery food.

If your bun is used to having them as a special treat you could have a strike on your hand if your removed them, just give him a few thin slices he can enjoy.

I sometimes add a few thin slices [3-4] to Pumkins veggies as a special treat as that seems to add hint of banana to healthier veg and herbage.

Think of them as a serious high sugar bunny treats for special occasions, hefty rewards for goodness and to tempt a sick bunny to go face down in recovery food.

If your bun is used to having them as a special treat you could have a strike on your hand if your removed them, just give him a few thin slices he can enjoy.

I sometimes add a few thin slices [3-4] to Pumkins veggies as a special treat as that seems to add hint of banana to healthier veg and herbage.

that's a good idea.
i shall cut down a lot though
feel guilty for giving him so much now, i thought they were good for him :?

Don't feel guilty! We all learn! :wave:

have learned a lot from this forum :)
snowball is booked in for his neuter on 7th march - that would have happened a lot later, as in more like around xmas time if it hadn't been for the people here making me feel so much better about the GA :)

Please don't feel guilty. No harm has been done.
Much better for your bun are some home grown herbs or buying a packet of leaves/wild plants for buns, or collecting your own. They get just as excited about them. It's just a matter of finding what they like. ;)

When he wasn't so ill, my bun knew what "dill" "corriander" & "parsley" meant, & I'd even give him the treat he showed most interest for. :lol:
[There were times when he just went crazy for all 3 & got a mix!]

Please don't feel guilty. No harm has been done.
Much better for your bun are some home grown herbs or buying a packet of leaves/wild plants for buns, or collecting your own. They get just as excited about them. It's just a matter of finding what they like. ;)

When he wasn't so ill, my bun knew what "dill" "corriander" & "parsley" meant, & I'd even give him the treat he showed most interest for. :lol:
[There were times when he just went crazy for all 3 & got a mix!]

aw am sorry to hear that your bun is poorly.
it's soo cute that he knew what those three herbs were, bless him.

snowball just gets parsley at the minute. might buy a few more herb plants and see whether he likes those too :D

are they allowed mint? that grows like wildfire, so im sure i wouldn't have any trouble growing plenty of that :lol:

oooh, had read somewhere that clovers weren't allowed, so have never given him any

off out into the garden to collect some clover for him :D

I am mean, mine never get banana !! I try to keep their diets as close to that of a Wild Rabbit as possible X

that sounds like a sensible idea to be fair.
i'd struggle with that, my son is always sneaking snowball bits of fruit when he thinks i can't see him :lol:

Back