• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quality of Life

I think that varies bunny to bunny, illness to illness, condition to condition, and can't be stipulated. You need to look in their eyes and know they want to live, you also need to trust your gut instinct about it and follow what that says.

Being able to do as many bunny things as possible.

If bunny can hop about, be able to eat and drink freely and 'be a bunny' without being in pain and requiring constant assistance to do normal things.

Thats a very tired, short version and all my brain is capable of right now :wave:

Are you thinking about who i think you are thinking about Amy?

Difficult one, and probably depends on the individual rabbits and the illness :?

Anyone looking at my Winston would probably think he doesn't have much quality of life due to his age-related problems. He spends pretty much 24 hours a day sat on his vet bed looking miserable as sin or sleeping...but on a good day he can still run around honking when breakfast arrives.

Yes :cry:

Had a long chat with the vet this morning. Nothing is helping the aggressive sneezing and it is pretty much constant. It is taking all his energy.

Bluebell?

What have you tried? I wonder with a list of stuff if we could suggest something else?

Trust your gut though, what does it say to you right now?

Had a long chat with the vet this morning. Nothing is helping the aggressive sneezing and it is pretty much constant. It is taking all his energy.

Amy, Bluebell & Ginger sound very very similar in how its affecting them.

What is Bluebell currently on? I had some excellent advice from Sky-O yesterday as well as my vet last night. Have you tried a nebuliser to help clear some of the gunk that could be on his chest?

Sorry, i know im not much help, i just want to offer you some thoughts and to let you know, you're not alone. Everyone here is here for you.

WOuld it be worth (and in no way am i advocating not trusting your vet, i know you do) calling Langford at all? Just for a chat with a vet perhaps?

This is such a hard one to answer, we have had rabbits with terminal cancer who have lost so much weight and have been skin and bone yet the fight has still been in them to live but I think there comes a stage when they let you know it's time to go.
It's one of the hardest parts of having any animal the time when you have to let go but sometimes you just have to for their sake's. :cry:

His chest is clear.

We've been nebulising saline to flush out the allergins from his nostrils as the infection is being exasterbated by his allergys.

He had 6 weeks baytril, 2 weeks alamycin now septrin. Also had metacam for inflamation.

Discharge is little or thin and watery so not sure a c&s test would grow anything, plus if we have to take him off meds beforehand he just wouldn't cope.

He is so weak vet is unsure about depocillin.

She said she will refer me to Langford but feels given his condition it may be invasive and upsetting for him. We will never cure him and even if we can get on top of this its likely there is a lot of scar tissue.

I don't know what to do.

Upper or lower respiratory tract?

If it's upper, I would want to exhaust every possible line of treatment before thinking about pts.

I've never had good results with either baytril or septrin for respiratory infections. Definitely try a different antibiotic :wave:

Bluebell is obviously worse than Ginger as far as thats concerned, and its a shame he's so weak as Depocillin has worked so well for Ginger so far :(

What do YOU think is the right thing, right now, for Bluebell?

Any suggestions? Do you think Depocillin is to big a risk? Are there any side effects? I just don't want him to suffer for my sake.

I dont know much about why the depocillin would be a big risk but would be interested in if it is, then why?

I dont think you are making him suffer for your sake - i think you want whats best for him Amy, thats why you've ever considered what you're tlaking abuot.

What do YOU think is the right thing, right now, for Bluebell?

I think he is suffering. You've seen first hand how debilitating the sneezing fits are with Ginger, imagine that 24/7. I worry about him all day at work, I don't sleep at night, I don't know how to help him. I feel like an awful bunny mum.

I think he is suffering. You've seen first hand how debilitating the sneezing fits are with Ginger, imagine that 24/7. I worry about him all day at work, I don't sleep at night, I don't know how to help him. I feel like an awful bunny mum.

Do you think he wants to fight it?

If so, i'd ask for a different abx. I've already discussed Zithromax with my vet and its whats next if the depocillin doesn't work for Ginger.

I total understand how you feel, what i see 24/7 would be awful, but im sure, with a good course of a strong abx, you could beat this.

You're not a bad bunny mum Amy. If you were, yuo wouldnt be here, talking to us and asking about options and avenues open to you. YOu're great :)

Any suggestions? Do you think Depocillin is to big a risk? Are there any side effects? I just don't want him to suffer for my sake.

Seeing as Alamycin is an oxytetracycline, I'd probably not bother with any of the other ...cycline abx's.

Depocillin maybe...there is a lot of scaremongering about potential side effects with penicillins, but depocillin is v. safe given as sub-cut injections.

Or Zithromax as G. suggested above. It's given orally if you feel more comfortable with that. My Gypsy is on it atm and loves the taste...she goes crazy trying to get the bottle and will even nibble my fingers if I get any zith. on them :lol:

Back