• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dill contains anti- colic properties may help stasis or bloat recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
I have just come through a horrible few days of nursing Nessie after a particularly nasty episode of stasis/bloat - she was very poorly indeed, she went to the vet on Sunday morning because I noticed she wasn't right, she'd had an episode of 'gas/stasis' the previous Monday and responded well to the Metaclop, metacam and baytril in fact was fine till the Sunday morning, my vets are open on a Sunday morning for an hour so I whisked her down there and the same principle was applied but, it didn't work:( I had to syringe her water Sunday night to keep her going and she was taken in again on Monday morning as no improvement, still hunching, eyes closed or tummy pressed down and tooth grinding. They admitted her after some metacam and she had some vetergesic I think as they wanted to xray her to check for obstruction and then put her on an IV drip, she had 100mls of saline during the course of Monday and did nibble a bit of hay apparently, the xray showed she was bloated with a lot of gas. I think she had a second dose of vetergesic 2ml total and the vet suggested her staying overnight.

My dilemma was Jingle was here and actually given the treatment she'd rec'd and the fact they would transport her to another practice to stay overnight which is about 20 minutes drive - it's much shorter to home I decided to bring her home and nurse her here instead, it was quite upsetting really because she was very weak and barely able to walk so I let her rest and after about 7 hours after coming home syringed some water and a little bit of critical care.

To cut a long story short it's taken till today to get her back to 'normal', I was very lucky with the weather on Tuesday and put her in her run as she was not eating or drinking and fighting the syringe (which actually was a good sign and I didn't push it) and it was neutral to reintroduce Jingle to her, it was lovely as he went straight over to her and licked her :love: Then he started binkying and she seemed to respond by grooming herself, then nibbling grass! I've never been so happy to see her eating ! Since then it's been a bit of a challenge but, I wanted to share that the key has been carrot tops and dill! Of all the things she was nibbling grass Tuesday and drinking, little bit of hay but, not much at all, yesterday when I offered her some dill she took it phew then I went to get some more and got some carrots with tops - she snatched them and munched and munched and asked for more !

I actually googled carrots and dill last night and it would seem they are both logical choices for her but, most interesting to me is the properties of dill - although she seems to be favouring the carrot tops aswell, it might be a good staple for people with stasis buns ?

This herb is one of the most famous and popular herb in many cuisines together with its use as a medicine especially for children.In ancient Egypt it was also used as a main ingredient in a pain killing mixture. It is another herb containing aromatic volatile oil .Its common name is dill seed, dill fruit or just dill.Its name is probably derived from the Saxon word ‘dilla’ or ‘dillan’, the translation being ‘to lull’. This name could refer to the properties that dill possesses in terms of being able to pacify and calm babies with colic or flatulence.

Last edited:
:thumb: mint and plantain are also meant to be good for relieving colic/tummy aches. I think parsley can be although I'm not sure.

Glad to hear Nessie's on the mend :)

:thumb: mint and plantain are also meant to be good for relieving colic/tummy aches. I think parsley can be although I'm not sure.

Glad to hear Nessie's on the mend :)

:wave:Thanks Nicola, yes I'm doing a hayexperts order tomorrow and plantain will be on the list, I might get some mint aswell then, she was being so fussy wouldn't take parsley or basil (which normally she does) and yet snatched the dill and well carrot tops - you'd have thought that nothing had happened the way she scoffed them, the vets do stock Burns dandelion so I topped up on that today and I was out picking dandelions and bramble leaves on Tuesday morning aswell in my slippers like a loony:lol: I'm so relieved, it was very scary for a while because she is normally so lively and greedy and it's taken 4 days really to get her back to her little cheeky self again, her diet is now seriously modified and fruit is off the menu I have to say and will be replaced by plantain and dandelion.

:lol: the things we do for bunnies. There are lots of good soothing things on hay experts. I'm guessing chamomile would be good as well too :) although I'm just assuming on that one!

:lol: the things we do for bunnies. There are lots of good soothing things on hay experts. I'm guessing chamomile would be good as well too :) although I'm just assuming on that one!

:lol: I know, I sort of just wandered out of the garden and up the road, I think I was a bit dazed from being up all night I did feel a bit of a bozo when someone went by in boots with a big jacket and scarf and there's me in my pink open toe mules slippers no coat, picking bramble leaves like a nutjob :roll::lol: Yes I've had the bunny hay with chamomile in before but, they didn't seem that fussed, I'm going with the carrot tops and dill, dandelion hay and more hay and some plantain i think, it seems to be working feeding her a carrot top every 3-4 hours atm with a sprig of dill, I'll extend the time tomorrow but, she is making up for lost time a bit and it's getting the water into her aswell. She is eating hay aswell as her poops are getting better, luckily they are bigger than Jingles so I can tell :)

aww that's good :) I always give mine their veg absolutely drenched in water and *touch wood* don't really get problems with stasis or bloat unless they've gotten their paws on some naughty noms

sending lots of vibes for her x

aww that's good :) I always give mine their veg absolutely drenched in water and *touch wood* don't really get problems with stasis or bloat unless they've gotten their paws on some naughty noms

sending lots of vibes for her x

Thanks Nicola, this is the first time she's had it and hopefully the last, Jingle is moulting and a rex and she is aswell a bit I think, I brushed them both today and got loads of fur - I honestly don't know if I have caused it with too many sweet treats too soon after the first mini episode that she bounced straight back from - or if it's linked to ingesting too much fur and not drinking enough, she doesn't seem to drink much at all whereas he does, I'm taking precautions anyway regarding diet and yes although I always feed the veggies wet now they are a bit wetter still and I'm controlling the intake every 4 hours for a few more days rather than her eating too much in one go and getting full up etc - it's horrible though I really thought that she was dying at one point tbh - she just didn't seem to have any energy to 'live' if you see what I mean - fingers crossed she is going to stay well now. x

Dill seed is actually the only active ingredient in Woodwards gripewater - still available. Fennel has similar properties, but is a bigger plant so you get more per squ. foot of garden. ;) the larger stems make good chew sticks too.

It could maybe be a combination of both, and the fact the weather is changing and becoming a bit milder, can have an effect on them :)

Aww, stasis/bloat is just awful :(

:wave: Vicki, Im just about to go to bed but just wanted to say Im glad Nessie is getting better, this is her second lot isnt it or was it Jingle last time :( At least they are looking after each other well, which must help in their recovery :love:

Thanks for the dill / carrot tops info could come in handy, sounds like you and Ness have had a stressful few days. Its horrible when they are ill, I cant sleep or anything and it proves we will do anything for our little fur babies which includes walking down the street in your slippers :roll::lol:

Vibes that things keep going in the right direction. xx

Dill seed is actually the only active ingredient in Woodwards gripewater - still available. Fennel has similar properties, but is a bigger plant so you get more per squ. foot of garden. ;) the larger stems make good chew sticks too.

Hi Thumps, I did do a few searches this week on stasis and saw lots of advice and I remembered a few tips from your threads so thank you x - thats really interesting about fennel - is it easy to grow? I might have a go at growing some dill - and carrots as apparently organic ones are much safer because we 'humans' don't normally eat the greens they can be sprayed etc

I did get some bramble leaves and the little thorns on the back weren't so hard and sharp and I was able to peel the spine off sort of thing and washed them and she did eat a couple on Tuesday in the run :wave:

:wave: Vicki, Im just about to go to bed but just wanted to say Im glad Nessie is getting better, this is her second lot isnt it or was it Jingle last time :( At least they are looking after each other well, which must help in their recovery :love:

Thanks for the dill / carrot tops info could come in handy, sounds like you and Ness have had a stressful few days. Its horrible when they are ill, I cant sleep or anything and it proves we will do anything for our little fur babies which includes walking down the street in your slippers :roll::lol:

Vibes that things keep going in the right direction. xx

:wave: Thanks Kath, yes the second one almost exactly a week after the first, I felt awful because I was complacent about her recovery and just resumed normal feeding again as if nothing had happened so it was probably too much too soon :( bad mummeh!

Yes I hope it might help someone if they have a gassy bunny, even a couple of sprigs a day could be helpful I expect.

Thanks for the vibes - it has been horrible I found time to come on and do a few searches but, wasn't really up to a thread as I didn't know which way it would go at one point, thankfully she really is a tough little cookie and has started to help herself now phew - hope your OK and getting plenty of rest when you can xx

Hi Vicky P I don't know whether you found this thread.
Sorry I got a bit carried away "meeting up" with buns & owners I've grown fond of.
Each stasis prone bun has a slightly different underlying cause for their stasis. You get a fair idea of what we're all using on a regular basis as part of their diet to try to reduce the frequency & severity of episodes.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264764&highlight=leaves+stasis+prone+buns
:oops: I must fill in Thumper's entry! :oops:

Hi Vicky P I don't know whether you found this thread.
Sorry I got a bit carried away "meeting up" with buns & owners I've grown fond of.
Each stasis prone bun has a slightly different underlying cause for their stasis. You get a fair idea of what we're all using on a regular basis as part of their diet to try to reduce the frequency & severity of episodes.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264764&highlight=leaves+stasis+prone+buns
:oops: I must fill in Thumper's entry! :oops:

No I didn't get that one when I searched, going to have a read through on my phone in bed in a while thankyou :)

Just found this aswell

Medicinal uses _ dill

It is Stimulant, aromatic, carminative and stomachic. It is usually given as dillwater which is very good for children’s flatulence or disordered digestion. Amongst its other properties, Dill is known for acting as an antibacterial and antispasmodic agent and as a diuretic. However, its main purpose is for calming the digestive system. The essential oil found in Dill assists in relieving intestinal spasms and griping so it can be found in many gripe water mixtures and for those suffering from colds and other such related ailments, dill is often added to cold and flu remedies.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your info - I've used carrot tops and plantain before, but it's always good to add another to the list of things to try, and it's interesting to know the history too!

Glad Nessie has come through ok, hope she keeps it up and get's better real soon. :)

Thanks for sharing the info on Dill Vicki :wave: Ive never tried mine with it but Im planning a bunny herb garden for the summer and it will definatly be on the list now :D

So sorry to hear about Nessie, poor little lady really was poorly :( Well done for getting her through it, and vibes that she stays well xxx

Thanks for the info Vicki, I didn't know that Dill had these properties. Luckily my buns love Dill!

Glad Nessie is better now, hope it stays that way xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back