• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photos!!! 5 Minute old babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 9 mnth old bun Merlieah suprised us Tuesday morning by having built a nest in the hutch, We moved her and the nest indoors away from dad. On Wed she destroyed the nest,pulling it apart and eating most of it. After reading that rabbits will only pull fur once, I became more than a little worried. Was she going to be a bad mum? How was she going to keep them warm? Panic! Panic!

Thursday at 10:30 I came home (after rushing out to get her some emergency soft bedding) to find her building a brand new nest. She spent 4 hours rushing back and forth, first with huge mouthfuls of straw and then equally huge mouthfuls of pulled and plucked fur. Phew!

Within 5 mins of finishing her new nest she had kindled (delivered) 4 kits (babies). Delivery time under 4 mins.

Not normally the friendliest lady, Merlieah was a perfect doll. She allowed me to film her from start to finish, sitting right next to the cage. (I'll put link to that once it's on Youtube)
Enjoy the photos of my new family.

10022011513.JPG

10022011550.JPG

Lots of trips carrying bundles of straw.

10022011658.JPG

Time for a rest.

10022011663.JPG

A work of art.

10022011674.JPG

A mouthful of pulled fur for the bedding.

10022011728.JPG

Sitting in my nest..... getting ready......

10022011730.JPG

3+1=4

10022011732.JPG

3+1=4

10022011733.JPG

4 bunny babies

10022011738.JPG

Mummy Merlieah deserves a celery snack.Yummmm.

10022011739.JPG

The new babies.

4 Kits delivered safe and strong in under 4 minutes. Merlieah is proving to be a fantastic mummy . Bless her fluffy tail!

Another marvel of God's creation - New Life.

Photos!!! 5 minute old babies

Very cute:love:could you give the babies a nest box to keep them safe:)they may be able to wriggle out of the bars of the cage and once they get chilled they die very quickly:cry:make it big enough for mum to get into for feeding:)keep mum occupied so that she doesn,t get stressed while you do this by giving her some food:)hope they are all OK.they are gorgeous:love:

nest box...

I did try buying one... to no avail locally. I used a large shoe box and put her nest in that but she tipped it right over with her head. (She didnt like the litter tray I bought for her b4 either). The next day she destroyed the first nest she made...She is much happier with it her own way...

The cage im using has a 6 inch deep base, so no escapies that way. I have checked them over and they all very warm, strong and snuggled together. It's a good nest,with a lovely hollow. She's a good mummy:love:

Last edited:
Letting me watch...

It made me well-up inside, what a huge blessing to be able to watch first hand such a marvelous once-in-a-lifetime moment...Especially when everything I'de read said they give birth at night... I just wish I had kept the kids off school, So did they LOL!;)
Katie my 8 yr old loves animals and wants to be a vet. She is fab w anything that moves. You can imagine how much in :love: she is right now!

Whilst I am sure it was lovely to witness her kindling I feel I need to mention that in general it is probably best to allow the Doe privacy and quiet as she gives birth. I would worry that Guests viewing this Forum might think grabbing a camcorder to video their Rabbit kindling was usual practice :)

Do you cover one end of her cage to provide an enclosed space for her too ?

I hope that they all do well and that you are able to find homes for the kits if you are unable to keep them all yourself.

Good luck :)

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:That poor rabbit

I cannot begin to imagine how that poor rabbit must be feeling, she is pregant, you take her out of of her usual environement just as she is about to give birth, you put her in a small cage that isn't big enough for a guinea pig and as she desperately tries to build her nest because she is in labour, you grab a camera and film the whole lot

Sorry, but I think that is one of the most awful things I have ever read, and before everyone jumps on me for being negative etc etc, all I have done is point out the facts as stated by the owner

The rabbit hasn't even got a dark area for those poor babies :cry::cry::cry:

They are gorgeous! :love: perhaps putting a dark towel or something over the nest end of the cage would be a good idea :)

I would take dad to the vets to be castrated now to avoid any more litters. Mom can be done in a few months as well once the babies are old enough. Mom and dad can be bonded back together eventually that way. What will you be doing with the babies when they are bigger?

:love: but i agree with snowy and jane,she realy needs her privacy and to feel safe and secure.did you breed mum?:)

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:That poor rabbit

I cannot begin to imagine how that poor rabbit must be feeling, she is pregant, you take her out of of her usual environement just as she is about to give birth, you put her in a small cage that isn't big enough for a guinea pig and as she desperately tries to build her nest because she is in labour, you grab a camera and film the whole lot

Sorry, but I think that is one of the most awful things I have ever read, and before everyone jumps on me for being negative etc etc, all I have done is point out the facts as stated by the owner

The rabbit hasn't even got a dark area for those poor babies :cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry but I agree with Snowy. Also you shouldn't really be taking photos of newborn babies as the camera flash can cause damage to their eyes, once they open their eyes at 10 days it's fine but not while their eyes are shut.

It really does feel wonderful seeing new life I must admit. Please put a towel over the cage and move her away from the window. Give her a plate of broccoli to distract her. I can't remember where I read this but broccoli is good for mom's producing milk.

It can be very distressing for a female to get all that fuss after having babies. Just imagine what it was like giving birth to your 8year old daughter and then imagine three more. That's how she feels right now.

Mom and Daughters can get along very well. Castrate the dad now. Separate babies from mom at 8 weeks old 1-2 weeks later you can put the daughters back. I do advice having a nice shed, and keeping dad, mom and daughters together as a family. This is what we did and it's the most beautiful sight watching how they act together.

Mom really needs to have a break from babies from time to time. Have you seen the puppy pens? If you can attach a one of these to her cage? When Flopsi had her babies she had a similar cage but a 6ft x 3ft run added onto it. But do watch for escapee's, Betty learnt to jump out of the door at only 3 weeks old trying to follow mommy and her teats' :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back