• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous about the prospect of bonding!

Lu_x

Mama Doe
I already have bonded Josie (Dwarf lop/lionhead) aged 2 years with Velcro (male, mini rex) aged 1 and that was probably the easiest bond ever, as they just decided they would be friends from the moment they set eyes on each other!

But I would now like to bond Alice (nethie) aged 1 and a half approx with them. Alice was spayed on 7th Jan and her hormones have definately settled. I just really want her to be accepted by them both but I fear Josie won't like sharing her man!

Has anyone ever bonded a female bun to existing male/female pair? Or has anyone got any stories or advice about bonding buns of a similar nature to Josie ie head strong, dominant, sometimes overly grumpy :lol::lol:

Thanks for reading!

Lu xx

Sorry, I've no experience at all, but good luck. :wave: You might get more expert replies if you put a post in the 'behaviour and bonding' section of 'rabbit care discussion.'

Hi Susie,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not just wanting advice- I considered posting there but I really wanted anecdotes about buns with similar personalities. I know how to bond them and the do's and don'ts I'm just soooo nervous about how Josie will respond to Alice, as I feel Alice has had a tough enough life without Josie being difficult.

You never know I could be wrong and Josie may accept her. I just have a feeling! xx

Good luck, try not to be nervous! xx

Beano sounds just like Josie! I was nervous about adopting a rabbit friend for her as I thought she would not let him near any of the things she claims as hers and would be a bit of a bully! However her bond with Gordon went really well and she shares everything with him and has become less headstrong (not sure if that's the word to use) and loves him lots. I guess we can never know what buns will be like with other buns unless we try. Lets hope Josie will be the same as she was when bonded with Velcro! Good luck xx

When I do bondings for people it is often the buns that people are more concerned about that are the easier to bond, when people say to me XXX will bond easily but watch out for XXXX. It often works out that the one people are concerned about is not the problem bun.

My main advise is to be prepared to be open minded, patient and stay calm with it, buns do pick up on peoples anxieties. Do make sure you do your home work with regard to preparing the bonding area and where ever you are planing to move them once they are bonded.

I really do believe that buns pick up on your nervousness, so try not to over think it too much.

I bonded Charlie (male), with a long established male/female pair, and it was really easy, as all the bunnies were very laid back.

I know that doesn't help so much,

but when I bonded them into another pair to make a large group Sophie who is a skitty bunn, seemed to trigger Charlie and Frank to fight.

So I split them again.

I tried to bond Sophie, Granite (Sophie partner) Charlie, Isla (A new bun) and Frank and Belle, and again Sophie triggered Belle, a normally palcid bun to fight with Isla

It really does depend on the buns.

I have a male and 2x female bond and it works fab.... However I was too nervous to do it myself, as I was scared my big female would not accept the new one, so I was recommended a friend who had loads of experience who did it for me... However she said it was really easy and they accepted Chloe to the bond really well

If you are too nervous then ring your nearest rescue shelter, mine does it for you for a donation of £10 :)

Good luck

Back