• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Cloverleaf Cookies* alert....

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Guys, I notice alot of people love these... they look lovely and are from the Naturals range......even the RWAF have them on their website (and advertise them in their latest magazine).

They are not suitable for rabbits! They contain egg! This is fully stated on the lable.

:wave:

I gave mine to the hamster.

Naturals_Cloverleaf_Cookies__97166_zoom.jpg

:shock: heavens - well spotted. I did have a packet of these ages ago and the buns loved them with no ill effects. But I haven't bought them since and won't now. Thanks x

I've bought something similar for Ogs but had animal deritives in it! Needless to say, that went to my friend who has a hamster!

Oh no! But they are Beau's favourite! Why can they not have egg in teeny tiny quantities? I'm presuming it's used to bind them?

How come they have pic of a bun on the packaging, how very misleading :( Ive not bought them before, ours are fenugreek crunchie junkies :) xx

sadly many things aimed at buns and pigs really aren't suitable when you look at the ingredients.

i use the naturals range but closely inspect the contents - mine have fenugreek crunchies and some of the dried leaves.

They seem to wrongly market a lot of pet products - especially degu products. For my buns I tend to buy fresh stuff from the market as treats instead of buying pre-packaged stuff from the store these days.

I bought a 'healthy salad' for buns that turned out to contain leeks and potatoes, and has I believe since been withdrawn by Hay Experts. I was considering the cloverleaf cookies, but will avoid them now.

:shock:

We tried these a long while ago - at least 2 years ago. I usually read the ingredients and can't remember it saying egg, but Alfie and Bubbles didn't like them much anyway. Maybe they knew something I didn't. :lol:

Louie used to have carrot crunchers, I think he was slightly addicted.

I have weaned him off them and the only treat he has now are dried herbs.

Why can't they have corn or egg? Mine had one of those dried corn on the cobs that came with a treat basket and they loved it...with no ill effects :?

Whereas I tried them on Raspberry leaf cookies and it went straight through them and gave them sticky poop.

Things like dried corn has pics of buns too, but we all know those arent suitable.

Yes, but what i meant was why do they put the pic of the bun on if they know it isnt suitable for buns? Why not a pic of a hamster? Or whatever the treat is suitable for. Thing is, if normal people saw that on a shelf in a shop with the pic of the bunny on the front, they would buy it for their buns :(

Why can't they have corn or egg? Mine had one of those dried corn on the cobs that came with a treat basket and they loved it...with no ill effects :?

Whereas I tried them on Raspberry leaf cookies and it went straight through them and gave them sticky poop.

Corn: because the kernals arent digestable and can cause blockages.

Egg: because they wouldnt eat it in the wild, they are not omnivores, they have sensitive stomachs and you run the risk of them having a reaction/going into stasis.

Yes, but what i meant was why do they put the pic of the bun on if they know it isnt suitable for buns? Why not a pic of a hamster? Or whatever the treat is suitable for. Thing is, if normal people saw that on a shelf in a shop with the pic of the bunny on the front, they would buy it for their buns :(

Because they are idiots. They even have rabbits on pictures of things with nuts in. It says 'suitable for all small animals' which you would presume include rabbits too, but the meat content suggests otherwise.

I dont understand why people think rabbits having egg, dairy or animal extracts it ok. :?:?:?

At the end of the day, the 'rules' governing how you make and advertise 'suitability' of food when it comes to animals is limited and flawed and it is up to owners to take the time to weed out the inappropriate items.

Back