• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with litter training

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Right I have put litter trays in their cages and some of their droppings in there etc... and when they dont use the tray I put some of the droppings that are scattered around the cage in the litter tray and throw the rest. I keep doing this but they dont seem to use the trays.... and when I let them out (when I am home I just leave the cages open for them to run around and go in and out as they please... they completely cover the floor in their droppings.... Not just a litttle A LOT....

help!!!

My rabbit used to poo everywhere.
Then he started to poo only in the garden which was very good then a spot in the middle of the grass.
He passed away
Now my other two buns poo in that exact place and no where else.

You could try to disinfect the carpet with vinegar and the only place left do poo near that area would be in the litter tray :D

Are they neutered? I believe they can use droppings to mark territory and my boy, who is neutered, has started doing it again now I have a foster bun but he was much worse before his neuter. Did you put the trays where they would normally go in their living area? I used to spend ages following them round trying to clear up droppings before hubby found them so you have my sympathy!

Are they neutered? I believe they can use droppings to mark territory and my boy, who is neutered, has started doing it again now I have a foster bun but he was much worse before his neuter. Did you put the trays where they would normally go in their living area? I used to spend ages following them round trying to clear up droppings before hubby found them so you have my sympathy!

She isnt neutered yet is booked in for the end of this month had to wait till I was paid...I just wanted to know whether this will improve with neutering or not... as shes litter trained in her cage she goes in the tray I put in there and I have tried taking that out and putting in the living room and leaving it in her cage with the cage open so she can go in and out as she pleases but no.... 0__O my oh is getting pretty peeved now...

I noticed that my rabbits were fine in their own territory but the minute I took them to somewhere rabbits they didn't live with had been - mainly the living room where they come to play - it was like they had to start claiming their space again. The only one who still does it is Millie but she's only been neutered for a couple of weeks so is prob still a bit hormonal. My boy, Floppy, is very near perfect now.

I'd have to say though that my experience is limited and based on my observations, not fact. :D from what I can gather, boys tend to improve dramatically when neutered but girls can still be a bit more messy. Hope neutering sorts it out though. I've found my hubby to be fairly tolerant of the rabbits to the point where he lets them out in the morning and checks their water. When it comes to droppings around the house it is a very different story. :censored::censored:

She isnt neutered yet is booked in for the end of this month had to wait till I was paid...I just wanted to know whether this will improve with neutering or not... as shes litter trained in her cage she goes in the tray I put in there and I have tried taking that out and putting in the living room and leaving it in her cage with the cage open so she can go in and out as she pleases but no.... 0__O my oh is getting pretty peeved now...

I had to use one in the cage and one in the room, even if the cage is open.

Is it one spot in particular where she goes? If so pop a tray there. Wee is the main thing to get right, some rabbits will never be too good with their poops.

Are they bonded together? Could be a territory thing if they can smell another rabbit.

Back