• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft stools

d_animality

Young Bun
My rabbits have soft stools like this --> http://img687.imageshack.us/g/original4m.jpg/

weirdly.. it only occurs mostly at night... and sometimes it becomes normal and sometimes dont... the rabbit is healthy as usual and she eats hay a lot.. what is wrong here?

one thing i noticed is the stools is big and her female part smelly..

what should i do.. there are no rabbit pro vet here.. if i bring her to the vet.. the only thing they do is giver her antibiotics...

i really need advices on this.. she is almost 3 months... and only eat pellets and hay... no veggies been introduced yet :S

My rabbits have soft stools like this --> http://img687.imageshack.us/g/original4m.jpg/

weirdly.. it only occurs mostly at night... and sometimes it becomes normal and sometimes dont... the rabbit is healthy as usual and she eats hay a lot.. what is wrong here?

one thing i noticed is the stools is big and her female part smelly..

what should i do.. there are no rabbit pro vet here.. if i bring her to the vet.. the only thing they do is giver her antibiotics...

i really need advices on this.. she is almost 3 months... and only eat pellets and hay... no veggies been introduced yet :S

What pellets are you feeding and how much? How much hay is she eating?

What about your other two rabbits - are they ok and do they have the same diet?

Last edited:
What pellets are you feeding and how much? How much hay is she eating?

What about your other two rabbits - are they ok and do they have the same diet?

I used the same pellets recommended by breeders in my country.. normal pellets which contains high fibres.. i think more than 18% .. she eats hay quite okay but not a lot... but she eats it frequently..

the other two rabbits are fine... one rarely eats hay but still okay.. she is the only one having that

I used the same pellets recommended by breeders in my country.. normal pellets which contains high fibres.. i think more than 18% .. she eats hay quite okay but not a lot... but she eats it frequently..

the other two rabbits are fine... one rarely eats hay but still okay.. she is the only one having that

They need to eat lots of hay (at least 80% of rabbits' diet should be hay). Don't think you said what quantity of pellets you are feeding each of them.

They need to eat lots of hay (at least 80% of rabbits' diet should be hay). Don't think you said what quantity of pellets you are feeding each of them.

one cage had two rabbits female.. i put them together for a while so the one that know how to use litter box show the new one on how to use it and its a success..besides they both the same age... 2-3 months

so for that one... i feed them pellets 3 spoons per day... they rarely finish them tho

Those are cecals, they do tend to occur at night. Bunny should be eating them straight from the anus and shouldn't be leaving them.

Leaving them can be a sign of health issues so a vet check is a good place to start. Diet is another area to look at. Their diet should be masses of fresh hay, greens and around two tablespoons of pellets. Try to avoid Excel as this sometimes causes this but if you change or reduce pellets do it gradually. Try to avoid sweet veg like carrot, baby corn and peas. Also avoid too much fruit and treats.

Okay thank u currently i rake their pellets away from the cage and leave only a lot of hays..hope she'll be fine..

If theres anythng i should do please tell :)

please help my rabbit wont eat and drink... i dont know what is wrong with her.. she is peeing due to drinking very small amount of water but she never poops... please help... ive read that pineapple juice is good but im afraid to try.. so i need advices...

EDIT: And I heard that she made a something like tooth-grinding sort of sound...

I bought her to the VET last week because of her soft stools and the doctor gave me a peptosyl to be fed 1.5ml 3 times a day.. i followed the advice .. the doc said to keep feeding her until the poops become normal.. she like to drink it.. im feeding her using syringe.. and i think ever since day 2 shes not pooping and not eating.. the water bottle hardly be seen some reduce in the amount of water :( this is very frustrating.. i began to lose hope on everything :(

She really needs to see a vet. At the very least, for pain relief, because she sounds incredibly uncomfortable. I know that's difficult where you're based though. She could also likely do with some fluids under the skin (called sub cutaneous fluids). At the very least.

yes.. its really had... i just brought her to the vet and the doctor said she will be fine :( i realize she didnt eat last time but i thought its only for a while because she just had the medicine.. but now... i really feel bad for her.. im really losing my mood now.. i already tried to do my best for her but still she is ill.. :( its night.. really plan to bring her to the vet tomorrow... :( i really hope that the vet can help this time

You're absolutely doing your best, but its so difficult where you are based with lack of vets knowledge. On top of that, sometimes even with the best care and the best effort a rabbit takes a while to improve, or the journey is bumpy, or sadly they don't improve. You just have to keep trying your best.

Ok, if its nighttime then what you can do until morning is give her a heat source to help her keep warm. You can try something like a 'rice sock' where you fill a sock with uncooked rice (or similar) and warm it, and then give it to her. If you accidently wamr it too much then wrap it in something to add some protection to her.

You can also boil some water, and let it cool until its a bit warmer than cool and syringe some of that into her.

I'm thinking that is all I would syringe into her at the moment.

u mean syringe her warm water? how many amounts of water should i fed her? i dont know if im really a best owner for her or my other rabbits.. im really losing hope ryte now... i feel want to give up.. maybe im not suited to pet rabbits.. what is wrong with her actually? i always gave them pellets, hay, fresh water, clean them, their cages and everything to keep them from sick or bacteria.. but yet she still sick.. i dont know about the other rabbits :(:cry:

Sadly any pet gets ill. We obviously can't know what's wrong with her, but clearly something is. Even with the best and most exemplaray care, its a fact that any living creature can get ill. You ca protect her from a lot by giving her good care, but you can't protect her from everything.

If you choose to give up, then yes, you're not suited to owning rabbits, or any animal, but if you hang in there and keep fighting with her then all you've done is your best. That's all anyone can do; their best.

Yes, syringe some warm water (but water that has boiled previously, and then cooled down). See how much she is willing to take, although, if she is drinking by herself, just offer it in a bowl and see if she will drink from that instead.

okay will give her that.. really hope that she can make it til the day.. really worried right now and thanks for the advice.. please pray for her

Back