• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it normal to have a phantom pregnancy after being spayed??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Honey was spayed yesterday and today she's been pulling fur out of her furry blanket and gathering it in her mouth. She isn't putting it anywhere to make a nest, she's just gathering! Is this normal immediately after a spay??

No she hasn't so far, I thought I'd see how she was getting on. She doesn't look uncomfortable any more like she did last night, and she's moving around a lot more and nibbling hay and crunchies. It will really stress her if I have to restrain her and syringe meds into her, she hates anything like that. I offered her the syringe to see if she would lick it like Olly does, but not a chance.

If you think about a woman having a hysterectomy, they wouldn't give no pain relief afterwards. I can't ever imagine not giving mine pain relief for a few days after.

Could you offer it on food?

aw i hope she's feeling better soon. i would definitely give her the metacam

sky-o - i know it is a lesser operation for male buns, do males need pain relief after a castration also?

If you think about a woman having a hysterectomy, they wouldn't give no pain relief afterwards. I can't ever imagine not giving mine pain relief for a few days after.

Could you offer it on food?

Yes I get that, it's just easier said than done trying to give it to her! She's still only eating hay and the odd treat, so I don't see how I can do that. The only way would be if my OH holds her still while I syringe it in, but I don't want to hurt her or stress her even more :(

Yes I get that, it's just easier said than done trying to give it to her! She's still only eating hay and the odd treat, so I don't see how I can do that. The only way would be if my OH holds her still while I syringe it in, but I don't want to hurt her or stress her even more :(

A few moments stress is worth in it my opinion. Get your OH to hold her, put the syringe behind her front teeth and slowly squirt it in, metacam is honey flavoured so she might be ok once she has tasted it?

He may have to hold her tight but thats ok, I find it easiest to put one hand over their head and lift up the "lip" with my thumb then use my other hand to work the syringe

As some of you know my bun was also spayed yesterday she has never liked being picked up but once I've got her out she is fine with being syringe feed or to give meds most of the time the only thing she will do is move her head around but doing this to a rabbit is soooooooo much easier than trying to do the same to a gerbil.

Back