• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vigorous front paw flicking (dental yesterday)

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
eric's not eating enough yet at all. i've not long been back from a rather difficult funeral and he has popped out, eaten a tiny bit of cabbage and disappeared back under the futon again.

i'm a bit concerned about his behaviour though - he's flicking his front paws and grooming a lot :?

does anyone have any ideas as to what this may signify please?

i'm hoping that he'll perk up soon now i'm back so rather than stress him again in my panicky haste by a vet trip, i'm going to sit it out for a little while but i'm unsure why he's doing such a lot of paw flicking.

thank you jane. i figured it may be something like that but needed to ask.

no, he had some yesterday before i brought him home, plus gut stimulant. unless its totally necessary, my vet knows that vet trips + eric = stress and refusal to eat so it can be rather a vicious circle.

its not a 'normal' time for him to be alert really at the moment so i'm hanging off ringing to make an appointment at the moment but i'm not happy with his input and output.

rotten timing that i had to be out for such a large part of the day:(

So sorry Erics not well, and on such an auwful day :cry:
As Jane said I think some pain relief would really help so maybe call your vet and ask?
Loads of vibes for Eric xxx
Condolences on the funeral :( xxx

he's accepted 3 of the hammie's pea flakes gladly but he did seem to be 'slapping his chops' in an way that seemed different:? (eric and i spend a lot of time together!).

i felt yesterday that things wouldn't go so well. its been a rotten day and now i have to try catch him and stress him out even more:( ever felt like curling up in a corner and having a damn good cry??!

Some buns take it straight from the syringe (its sweet!) but if Eric wont do that could you hide it in a favourite treat of his? I find sandwiching meds between 2 thin slices of banana os quite effective. Then you wont have to stress him :D

waiting for a call back as vet in consultation and nurse/receptionist doesn't think they do pain relief for rabbits that isn't injectable.

waiting for a call back as vet in consultation and nurse/receptionist doesn't think they do pain relief for rabbits that isn't injectable.

:shock: Thumper always has a day of metacam by syringe after a dental to ease any pain of the jaw joints (Temperomandibular joints) after they've been stretched by the gag to get the bur to the teeth!

I also give it to tide him over the next 24 hours when he needs a dental.
He loves it although it smells of ripe old socks - I can't get him off the syringe once he's latched on.
[If he's being a toe rag about his domperidone I dip the end of the syringe in metacam to get him started :oops:]

Everything crossed you can get something sorted for him.

the liquid form for cats and dogs can be used on rabbits (i belive its the same thing?) :wave: my 2 have certainly had liquid metacam

just back from vets. He had another jab and I've brought some home. I gathered it was his jaw as he flinched when I rubbed his cheek rather than purr.

I felt awful when we got there tho as he had a huge-and I mean big huge! - lump of soft poop stuck to him so ended up having a bum wash too.

Obviously he's hiding at the moment but hopefully he'll eat as the pain killer kicks in. I am so tired I hope he eats so I can sleep.

just back from vets. He had another jab and I've brought some home. I gathered it was his jaw as he flinched when I rubbed his cheek rather than purr.

I felt awful when we got there tho as he had a huge-and I mean big huge! - lump of soft poop stuck to him so ended up having a bum wash too.

Obviously he's hiding at the moment but hopefully he'll eat as the pain killer kicks in. I am so tired I hope he eats so I can sleep.

I'd keep a close eye on his mandible for any signs of lumpiness or a single swelling. That amount of pain response in a localised area is quite unusual after a routine Dental and I'd be concerned that there *might* be an abscess brewing.

I'd keep a close eye on his mandible for any signs of lumpiness or a single swelling. That amount of pain response in a localised area is quite unusual after a routine Dental and I'd be concerned that there *might* be an abscess brewing.

:shock: vet had a feel of his jaw and seemed pretty sure it was due to having to clamp his mouth open. i really hope so:(

will def keep an eye on it tho jane, thank you.

how long does it usually take everyone's buns to perk up after a shot of metacam? eric's still hiding but going to the vets stresses him out anyway:(

Back