• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Owner: I need some tips, how do I train my Bunny?

tgf-47

Young Bun
Hi, I'm new to the bunny world.

My bunny is about 7 weeks of age.
Starting to get very comfortable around humans.

This all seems to change when I take him outside. Like he is trying to run away.. (he is on a leach)
How do I train him to act outside like he does in the house?

How do I train him to come when I call him (if possible).
I basically just need to know what is the best way to train bunnies.

Any help will be very much appreciated, Thanks.

I believe when you walk a bunny on a leash you just go where the bun wants to go, they're not like dogs, you can't train them. :lol:

Bunnies arent like dogs... you cant train them to come when you call :?
They like to do their own thing...

Could you get him a run? for the garden? Rather than have him on a lead?
that way he can have as much outdoor exercise he wants and needs without you following him around, then you could sit with him and 'bond' with him.

Do they just learn certain routines then?

I have seen bunnies that come to their owners when called. Is this a habbit or hope for food or something?

I've also learned that they can overtime learn the names of their food ie. carrots, lettuce..... and when hearing the name of one he likes most, he will react in a different way.

Is this bogus or fact?

Hi,
At 7 weeks he is still incredibly young, they shouldnt actually be taken away from their mothers until 8 weeks old.
So its no wonder he is overwhelmed! I would keep him inside where he is secure and happy until he is a few months old. Also is he vaccinated against myxi and VHD? If not you'll have to get him vaccinated before thinking about taking him outside.
With regards to training him, again hes way too young. Baby buns have a very short attention span. Training will happen slowly over thd coming months. But for now just allow him to be a baby :love:
Id love to see some piccys btw :wave:

ETA. By 'training' I mean he will learn to trust you and associate you with food. If you say a certain word whenever you feed him eventually you will beable to say this word and he'll come to you. Thats what my buns do anyway :D

Last edited:

I have seen bunnies that come to their owners when called. Is this a habbit or hope for food or something?

I've also learned that they can overtime learn the names of their food ie. carrots, lettuce..... and when hearing the name of one he likes most, he will react in a different way.

Is this bogus or fact?

B&G will come to their names if i tap my pocket, but thats learnt behaviour, not training as such. It's always on hope of food as most bunnies are very food orientated.

Biscuit for example, i can tap my trousers 3 times and say "Come Biscuit Come" and he'll follow. I used to think that was me calling him. But if i tap my trousers 3 times, he'll come too. But he always thinks its for food, the greedy little fluffball!

He gets lots of exercise both indoors and out in the garden. We live near a park where i'd like to take him. Cant take him off the leach there though. Must say it have been a massive learning curb so far and a lot of joy.

Is this bogus or fact?

I agree with Graham. Mine will come for the rattle of the treat box or if they hear pellet on bowl. My lop pair will come whenever I walk into the room. But this is learned behaviour, not training and bunnies will naturally want to explore new areas.

Personally I don't agree with leashes or leads. When I tried one a few years ago mine wriggled out of them. If you do use them then you must follow the rabbit and let bunny lead you, not the other way around or you risk serious injury.

:shock:

Please dont take yuor bunny to a park. He/she will be under enormous stress and under thread from any animals, such as dogs off a leash.

Are you planning on having your bunny vaccinated/neutered/spayed?

I agree with Schuette about leashes.
Also be aware of the fact that a park may be way too much for a rabbit, most feel secure on their own turf and might be very scared in a situation like that with loads of people and dogs around. Personally Id just let him play in the garden ;)

It's really not a good idea to take a rabbit to a park as their will be dogs not on leads which WILL attack your rabbit given half a chance plus the grass will be unclean from dogs toileting. Your rabbit could get worms or worse. You are much better off forgetting the lead and buying/making a secure run or rabbit proofing your garden.

Rabbits are nothing like dogs, and if you can't accept that, get a dog. Don't go taking it for walks and teaching it tricks because it isn't going to work for both you and the rabbit

Rabbits are nothing like dogs, and if you can't accept that, get a dog. Don't go taking it for walks and teaching it tricks because it isn't going to work for both you and the rabbit

Ok but the OP is a new bunny owner and may not be aware so lets keep the tone light and helpful :wave:

Ok but the OP is a new bunny owner and may not be aware so lets keep the tone light and helpful :wave:

I agree,some of the things I did when I was first a bunny owner..............:oops: but you've come to the right place for help and advice so welcome to RU!!:wave:

I asked for help, thats how you learn these things.

The park mentioned has no dogs or other animals in it. Just a pond with a few ducks. We like to go there and ralax. Thats why I wanted to take the bunny with next time. So it was a bad idea, I get it.

You asked for a picture before. Not entirely sure how to add one.

Another question. My bunny doesn't seem to like carrots. Is this normal for bunnies to be picky eaters?

We did get him pellits and a box of what is supposed to be mixed things like carrots and all those good stuff for bunnies, but it looks to me like just a bunch of hardened seeds???

I asked for help, thats how you learn these things.

The park mentioned has no dogs or other animals in it. Just a pond with a few ducks. We like to go there and ralax. Thats why I wanted to take the bunny with next time. So it was a bad idea, I get it.

You asked for a picture before. Not entirely sure how to add one.

Another question. My bunny doesn't seem to like carrots. Is this normal for bunnies to be picky eaters?

We did get him pellits and a box of what is supposed to be mixed things like carrots and all those good stuff for bunnies, but it looks to me like just a bunch of hardened seeds???

Yes sadly the park is a bit of a bad idea. Are you in the uk? If so I would keep your bunny inside for the next few months as rabbits dont deal with temperature changes well and going from inside to outside wont be good for him. He also needs to be vaccs before he goes out to protect him from mxy and vhd.

Pics can be added by uploading them to www.photobucket.com :D

Carrots arent great for buns as they are high in natural sugar. His diet should be mainly hay with a small amount of veg such as spring greens, kale, broccoli, parsley etc but again small portions and introduce any new veg gradually. As a guide he should be eating a small carrierbag of hay a day minimum

oooh Thanks, Photobucket...

Oky, so what do you think about the packet of "seedy thingies" I bought from the petstore? Are they any good? Bunny only eats them when it is mixed with his pellits.

And no, I live in south africa. Weather is kind of **** these last couple of days. Hot and humid as hell, so we keep bunny in the house where temp is controlled by a/c.

Any other tips? Things that he might like? Something we can buy him like a good toy for bunnies. Any thoughts or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Back