PDA

View Full Version : Myxo Vaccinations- Warning- National Vaccination Shortage

Sky-O
10-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm not trying to start a panic, or 'panic buying' however, there are currently no more myxo vaccinations being produced at the moment, which is obviously leading to a shortage. If your vet practice runs out, they won't be able to stock any more in the immediate future.

My vet is unsure why, but says he suspects a contamination issue at the lab end.

So if your rabbit is due within the next couple of months, it might be worth contacting your vet and asking their advice, or maybe seeing you can buy and pay for one prior to needing it.

Amy104
10-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Thats awful. I think at least half of mine are due in April.

KarenM
10-02-2011, 12:53 PM
:shock::shock:

I'm so glad Alfie and Bubbles had their booster last week. I hope production resumes very soon.

bunny babe
10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
:shock: Goes to book all 3 in now!

GrahamL
10-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Biscuit is due in April, so i'll ask the vet when he calls me about Ginger.

Ginger won't be having hers, so thats fine, but what a worry for other people :(

Thanks for letting us know.

Emmz
10-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Mine both only just had theirs recently, phew.

Elena
10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I think mine are due April too :? Gosh what is going on today :?

Colyflower
10-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I'll be speaking to my vet later today anyway so I'll ask whether they know of any issues and check if they have plenty of stock.

Elena
10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I think I'll mention it on Monday. Get it booked up then too, then I won't forget.

loppy ears
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Is it all brands of Myxo which are not available?

GrahamL
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Is it all brands of Myxo which are not available?

There is only one Myxi vaccine i believe, are you confusing it with VHD ? :wave:

Sky-O
10-02-2011, 03:06 PM
There's only one myxo vacc, the Nobi-Vac one.

They have already run out at our vets practice (probably due to the 15 he had to do for mine recently) so it most likely won't be long until other places run out, and we're coming up to the first myxo 'season' of the year. Its a disaster.

MPHF
10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Mine are due in April.

Hope they will have some in by then. :?

Colyflower
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I'll be speaking to my vet later today anyway so I'll ask whether they know of any issues and check if they have plenty of stock.

I've just spoken to my vets (London/Surrey area) and they've contacted their supplier and they said they knew nothing about any problems with the vaccine. It may be a certain supplier, not sure how many there are are in the UK? It could be a regional issue so it may depend on where which part of the UK you're from, so I'd ring your vets and double check if you're concerned. My vets have just received an order of the vaccine so I know that they have a supply of it.

loppy ears
10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
There's only one myxo vacc, the Nobi-Vac one.

They have already run out at our vets practice (probably due to the 15 he had to do for mine recently) so it most likely won't be long until other places run out, and we're coming up to the first myxo 'season' of the year. Its a disaster.

My vets have said they were able to order a packet today? Do they come from different places?

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh no, my 4 are due in June :shock:

Rhian33
10-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Just called my vets and they said they are not experiencing issues with getting them from their supplier at all.

yvette
10-02-2011, 03:41 PM
The vets i attend have no idea of this but are looking into it for me.My lot are due in April.(VHD in June)

Sky-O
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Interesting. my vets said its national because they can't get them from anywhere.

Oh well, as long as bunnies can get their myxo vacc. then that's the important thing. One to bear in mind though.

Buuny_Friend
10-02-2011, 04:02 PM
The vets i attend have no idea of this but are looking into it for me.My lot are due in April.(VHD in June)

Same here!

The Duchess
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Just been up to Ivan for vaccs for some of ours this afternoon and he says that it's not unusual for there to be times when the wholesalers haven't got any, because the manufacturers only produce vaccines in batches. He wasn't unduly concerned - in particular for bunnies who are vaccinated 6 monthly as there will be so leftover protection from the previous 6 months.

He did say however that he'd be looking into this vaccine issue and the issue of the VHD outbreaks in France and would let me know what he finds out.

Bunny Buddy
24-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Interesting. my vets said its national because they can't get them from anywhere.

I moved Esme's vaccination forward from when I intended (she was technically overdue but we were aiming for March to line her up with Artie) and asked the vet who said she hadn't heard anything. This week was Tink and Roo's turn and I asked FHB if she had heard anything - she said Ruth had told her what I said last week so she rang the manufacturers - who denied it. They said they were intending to do a big campaign to get people to vaccinate in next few weeks which they wouldn't do if there was a shortage of vaccination. Just err on the side of caution she put in a big order and was stocking the fridge with it this morning. :lol::lol: So it is still available but that's not to say it isn't going to run low in a few weeks time (apart from in Harrogate of course).

CharlotteMc
24-02-2011, 10:22 PM
:shock: Penny is due hers now and russ is due on the 17th march. What should I ask the vet ?

Stator
24-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Ask the vet if they have plenty?

susie bun
24-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Spenser isn't due until he end of April. :?

halfpenny
24-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I ordered 15 for my lot and they arrived no problem and I haven't heard of any problem about getting vaccines up here.

Alibunmum
24-02-2011, 11:13 PM
My new foster was done this morning and the vet didn't mention anything.

Grace65
24-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Grace had her myxo there seems to be no shortage of vacs here. xx

GrahamL
25-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I can report that our vets are running low and cant get anymore until mid-march apparently?