• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Histopathology report for Fizz. Vets opinion post 43

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
My world is crumbling because the histopathology report came back for Fizz and said it was VHD. The vet told me that but when I clarified that he had been vaccinated he started to wonder if it was back to his heart failure theory. By the end of the conversation he was sure it was heart failure.

But still, the histopathology report says VHD.

He said Wish and Badger (the unvaccinated rabbits here) would already, likely, have died if it was VHD. But what now? These are two very vulnerable rabbits. I have 11 getting their VHD jab tomorrow, should that be 13? Do I risk it and get them done?

And on the basis of the heart failure issue I moved three rabbits into that accommodation on Monday. Just did a regular clean, not a deep clean. What if its a new strain and something happens to them.

I am petrified out of my mind right now.

Last edited:
I don't get it, it cant be VHD, surely? Wish & Badger would have been infected by now, surely?

Is there any chance the histopathology report is wrong? Or perhaps mixed results at the lab? :?

I have no idea what to say Sky, i dont understand enough :(

Are Wish and Badger healthy enough to *possibly* hold up against the vaccine at the moment? Or are they just not vaccineable (not a word, but it'll do)?

Last edited:
Thats very odd :? Have they all had the same vaccine or different ones and which one had Fizz had... hope it wasnt the new ANIVAC one or that might start a panic! Was Fizz's renewal almost due? maybe 12 months is a bit too long could it be that 9months or something may be better? Dont know what else to suggest :?

That doesn't make sense, if he was vaccinated then surely he couldn't die from it? From what you've said about the lab taking ages and not being very efficient, it sounds like they've maybe mixed up the samples/results or something :? Which leaves you non the wiser and worried sick. Can they retest? Did you say your vet had spare samples it case the first ones got lost? If they have mixed things up, someone needs to be held responsible cos that's terrible :( can you get your unvaccinated buns done or are they unwell? Hope you can sort things out xx

It's very odd, and must be hugely worrying for you. :shock:

Is the VHD vac 100% effective? It's a huge 'if' but there's a slight chance that Fizz didn't get full immunity yet the infection didn't spread to Wish and Badger.

What tests did they run to give them the conclusion that it was VHD? I'm just wondering how the PM can say one thing but then the vet can come to a different conclusion afterwards.

I'm waiting on a call back from my vet about Wish and Badger. I'm sure its going to finish Badger off and part of me wonders if I should have him PTS. I suspect we could have a shot with Wish and there could be a chance of success, but then she is pretty ill at the moment too.

I have no idea what to think about samples being mixed up. Originally, when questioning me the vet asked about vaccinations because the type of death was indicative of that, but yet there was no bleeding and as he put it, all the blood was where it should have been. He then ruled it out in his report. However, this is completely poor that no one followed it up when I did two weeks ago because now my whole crew could be more at risk.

Fizz was vaccinated at the same time Flame and Hazel-Flare were done- Hazel-Flare has also already died in similar circumstances to Fizz (i.e. very quick death, no symptoms, equally- no bleeding). They were vaccinated in July, and Hazel-Flare died in October and Fizz died at the start of January. It was the Cylap vaccine. Also, after seeing some nasty Cylap reactions, my smaller bunnies all have half doses of the vaccine (any rabbit under 1.7kg) and my vet said that was fine, but what if it actually isn't enough and they aren't protected fully.

Terrifying prospect, but what if this is a new strain; a mutation. :|

It's very odd, and must be hugely worrying for you. :shock:

Is the VHD vac 100% effective? It's a huge 'if' but there's a slight chance that Fizz didn't get full immunity yet the infection didn't spread to Wish and Badger.

What tests did they run to give them the conclusion that it was VHD? I'm just wondering how the PM can say one thing but then the vet can come to a different conclusion afterwards.

The vet just like cut him up and examined him. The histopathology, I believe, runs proper tests on the samples he sent off. More indepth stuff.

Oh Tracy that is awful news.

We put a news piece up on the website about a new strain of VHD that is resistant to our current vaccine last week - found in France. I do hope that it's not travelled the Channel already. Can you get the samples tested for the strain that they found as this would be useful for you and the vaccine manufacturers to see if they need to work quickly to produce a new vaccine that is resistant maybe?

New item is here http://www.makeminechocolate.org.uk/news

Oh Tracy that is awful news.

We put a new piece up on the website about a new strain of VHD that is resistant to our current vaccine last week - found in France. I do hope that it's not travelled the Channel already. Can you get the samples tested for the strain that they found as this would be useful for you and the vaccine manufacturers to see if they need to work quickly to produce a new vaccine that is resistant maybe?

New item is here http://www.makeminechocolate.org.uk/news

I will. I'll mention it to my vet when he calls me back.

I live right by the channel and we always get stuff first here. Its very possible. Its terrifyingly possible.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I can't go anywhere, or see anyone, or go near any bunnies for risk of taking it with me. FOR MONTHS! My own are already here and exposed, but what about the others I come into contact with.

Oh no! Well try not to panic!

Without knowing more from the vet its difficult. It could be a sample mix up, or it could (not sure if this is possible) be a false negative from the antibodies of the vaccine. Check whether this is a possibility.

There could be lots of reasons why, if it was VHD, the others are fine (for now, fingers crossed). Fizz could have contracted it directly e.g. from a mosquito or from eating some particles, and if he didn't bleed or show any other signs then it is likely he didn't shed any or enough virus to pass it on to the others.

You'd probably be wise to follow this guidance for now though:

Because of the highly infectious nature of the disease, strict quarantine is necessary when outbreaks occur. Depopulation, disinfection, surveillance and quarantines are the only way to properly and effectively eradicate the disease. Good disinfectants include 10% sodium hydroxide, 1-2% formalin, 2% One-Stroke Environ, and 10% household bleach.

Hope all is okay wth the others.

Oh my god Sky O this is auwful, Im so sorry youre having to deal with this :cry: (((Hugs)))

I cant believe there might be a new strain of VHD, its so worrying. But wouldnt they have noticed on the path report if it was a different strain? Just a thought, I dont know enough about it really.
Could it be that Fizz contracted VHD before he was vaccinated and it has been lying dormant? Again just a thought xxx

I don't know enough. I'm going to ask my vet to call the other vet and see what they say RE antibodies and such. I think he said it was to do with the coagulation of the blood or something that they thought it was VHD.

Likely he brought it with him when he came though, because he was here less than 24 hours before falling ill, and the incubation is 24-48 hours.

As far as I know, it doesn't and can't lie doormant though.

I need to get those three rabbits out of the accommodation and do a deep clean on it.

God I'm so stupid. Why did I not quarantine him properly.

I have litter trays to change but I'm just sat. I'm too scared to go and touch anyone or anything.

Sky-o I'm so sorry and don't have much to add but try not to let it get on top of you until you have the full facts from your vets. ((HUGS))

Back