• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm getting a foster bunny :) UD - He's here :D (piccy page two)

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave: Firstly, appologies for not being around for ages. I broke my laptop just before christmas and I think I got myself out of the RU habit. :shock: Disaster! :lol:

I'm still volunteering at the RSPCA. :) I've been asked to take on a foster bunny!

Meet the lovely Smiley (I think you will agree, his name doesn't suit him at all :lol:) -

168761_10150175418403574_709523573_8751438_2946259_n.jpg

He's six and has teeth problems. I've been asked to foster him as he's having trouble with mouth abcesses and the centre don't think he's got very long left. Effectively, he's coming to be a house rabbit here so he's nice and comfy during his last few weeks/months/however long he has and so he gets lots of one to one attention as he absolutely loves cuddles. :love:

I was a bsolutely chuffed to bits to be asked to look after him. :love:

I've never had any experience of buns with abcesses though so if anyone has any hints about things that will keep him more comfortable etc, please please share! :wave:

Last edited:
Hiya. Firstly smiley is gorgeous!!! But it is such a shame about his terrible ordeal. Still gorgeous though :D

...however, check out the health section there's some brilliant info there but I have heard manuka honey is a great natural healer for abscesses in the mouth plus they love the taste- or most do anyway!

Hope this helps.

Take care and again....smiley YOU ARE GORGEOUS :love: xxx

He's beautiful Georgie, glad to have you back.

He'll have a great retirement home with you.

Shocked that your parents let you have him indoors though!

There's been a lot of absess threads since i've been here, i think Hugo's There's threads and abbymarksmokey, but im so tired i could be completely and utterly wrong about that.

He's beautiful :love: Yes I've heard manuka honey is amazing for abscesses too. I'm sure he will enjoy the time has left with you ;)

OMG He's a fluffy version of my Dominic! :shock: :love:

If he were up for rehoming, I'd have him in a flash!

Are his abscesses actually inside his mouth? If so, you're quite limited on potential treatment. You might be best to put him on a high dose of antibiotic. I would highly recommend Zithromax because it seems to be very effective against the common bacterias which affect rabbits. Lots of us RUers have had really good results with it, and it's so easy to give because it's just mixed with water and given orally

He's a proper fluff monster :love: How lovely for him to have you as his mummy :D I'm guessing his lack of teeth means he won't chew much hence the house bun acceptance?

Oh he is just gorgeous! :love::love: I'm sure he will love all the attention and cuddles he will get from you, hope he stays with you for a while.

Good to hear off you Georgie :wave:

Welcome back georgie!

He looks like such a grump...but I can tell he secretly likes a few cuddles ;)

He is a bit of a grump to be honest :lol: He's so sweet though. He goes for tea breaks with the RSPCA staff and hops around the kitchen with them. He's definately very well loved where he is, I think everyone just knows he's not got long left and some extra warmth and lots of cuddles will be nice for him. It also frees up a space for more rehomable buns to come in.

I'm not really sure myself how bad his teeth are but you can feel his lower jaw bone is all bumpy when stroking his face. :( The vet goes in every monday to check all the animals over so Smiley will be getting a health check then to make sure he's ok to come home with me. Fingers crossed they'll say his teeth are ok for the moment at least.

I'll look into the honey idea. :)

I'm not sure how I've convinced my parents to let me have him indoors! :lol: I think I may have over-did his sob story a bit and even Dad said he felt really bad for him last night. :lol: He spends most of his time asleep so I can't see him being a problem at all. :)

I should be picking him up tuesday morning providing the vet gives him the ok. I can't wait! :D

Bless him! :love::love::love: Good to have you back. Someone alerted us to Thistle's appearance on Disapproving Rabbits. :thumb:

Bless him! :love::love::love: Good to have you back. Someone alerted us to Thistle's appearance on Disapproving Rabbits. :thumb:

:lol: Thistle did me proud with his dissaproval! It's nice to be back - I spent ages last night reading through threads and catching up with everyone's bunnies. I've still got so many new threads to get through though. I'd forgotten how much everyone likes talking! :lol:

Here's a couple more pictures of Smiley, just because. :)

He's such a distraction when I'm trying to work - you can't help but stop and cuddle him. :lol:

I've no idea what meds he's on :oops: I should have asked. I know he was on Baytril for a little while as a few of the rabbits were drinking more than usual and the vet was worried there may be an infection spreading through the rabbit block. I think that was a false alarm though.

I think I might pop back into the centre and ask if I can be there on monday for his vet check. I want to make sure I know as much as I can. :)

Awh how sweet :) poor little boy with his jaw though *hugs* when I had hopscotch (my older bro bought her me for my 17th bday :lol:)...we kept her hidden in his room for a few days until mom realised, and by that time he bought Belle too :lol: but the vets said they were both girls....until 6 months later when they had 2 babies (i know..thank god only two right?) and then we adopted jasmine last yr :D but mom and dad started putting belle and hopscotch in the house when hoppy became poorly and then when they had the babies they lived in the house also, they are litter trained and are v good (they're in the dining room now whilst we're in the living room- they're all snuggled up with one another. but they go into their room at 8 for dinner (by themselves) and bed time at 9ish (by themselves) so they pretty much tell us what they wanna do :lol: xxx

Awh how sweet :) poor little boy with his jaw though *hugs* when I had hopscotch (my older bro bought her me for my 17th bday :lol:)...we kept her hidden in his room for a few days until mom realised, and by that time he bought Belle too :lol: but the vets said they were both girls....until 6 months later when they had 2 babies (i know..thank god only two right?) and then we adopted jasmine last yr :D but mom and dad started putting belle and hopscotch in the house when hoppy became poorly and then when they had the babies they lived in the house also, they are litter trained and are v good (they're in the dining room now whilst we're in the living room- they're all snuggled up with one another. but they go into their room at 8 for dinner (by themselves) and bed time at 9ish (by themselves) so they pretty much tell us what they wanna do :lol: xxx

Awwhh! They sound like a happy bunch of bunnies! :love: I hope Smiley will fit in just as well here. :)

Ooops, pressed the submit reply button to soon! :oops::lol:

Smiley's here!

182246_10150179162398574_709523573_8804957_4676946_n.jpg

Sounds like his vet appointment went ok. He's not on any medication at the moment and he currently has no sign of abssesses. :) He had his front teeth trimmed this morning and he's scoffed half an apple and a bowl of pellets already. :roll::lol:

I'll get some more pictures when he's settled in a little better. :):wave:

Back