• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post spay wound licking

scotlass

Mama Doe
Hi, I'm looking for a little advice/information please.

Roxy was spayed yesterday and spent most of last night totally spaced out, shuffling to get comfortable and not eating very much, although she was drinking like a wee fish, bless her. She had me really worried this afternoon as I had not seen her eating or drinking all day and any time I offered food, she grunted, ground her teeth and turned her back on me. However, after a dose of metacam, she is currently munching her way through everything she can find and is moving around her cage more naturally. ~Phew!

My cause for concern now is that she is licking at her wound and obviously trying to groom the surrounding fur. Is it ok for her to do this or should I try and deter her? As far as I can tell, she's only licking and not biting. Her stitches are internal so I would imagine it's the glue she's licking.

Also, out of interest, she has a shaved patch on her ear which I wasn't expecting. I didn't notice it when I picked her up from the vet so I didn't ask about it. What would that be for?

Thanks x

I think the bare patch on the ear is where they inject the anaesthetic... Although I may be wrong! My bun was spayed yesterday too and she's been licking the last couple of hours too. Can't tell exactly where she's licking but I was wondering about this too. Honey isn't eating much still, just hay at the moment, every now and again she has a few pieces. God it's horrible isn't it, I've been (and still am) so worried! Hope your bun has a speedy recovery x

is she deffinatly licking hun? id have a look at her spay wound and see if shes removed or pulled on any of the stitches, My rabbit crystal removed her stiches within 48hours after her spey

Thanks ripminnie, I've been following your posts about Honey. Honestly, I swear I wasn't this worried about my hubby when he had an operation last year lol. I think it's because our buns can't tell us what they need, that's the hardest part.

Crystal butterfly, I checked her wound following your post and it seems fine, but I will remain vigilant to ensure she isn't ripping her wound, that sounds awful!

How's your little one this morning? Is she eating? Honey's just had 4 yoghurt drops so I'm pleased about that. Nothing else though apart from bits of hay... :?

She's much better this morning, munching away happily. She's completely shredded the newspaper I had in her cage too, so she must be on the mend :D

Thanks for asking x

Honeys just been for a hop around the lounge and seems brighter, I rang the vets to check that the small amount of hay she's eating is sufficient, they said it's fine and perfectly normal, as long as there are poops coming out the other end :) so I feel better now :)

Back