• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD/Mixi jab at same time?

linda.b

Young Bun
Hi, Took my newly aquired 1year old gorgeous bun for his plums chopped off, and while i was there asked about price of jabs and he said they could be done at same time rather than 2 weeks apart. Is this right? i dont use this vet a lot, as its quite a trek, but have always taken my buns/guineas there for neuters as they are more than half the price of my normal one and have never had any probs. Didn't have him done yet cos i want him to settle in and get over his op first. What do you think?
Thanks x

Hi there

Sorry but no it's not right. The rabbit's immune system needs time to recover between being given the vaccines to be able to fight the next jab and for the vaccines to be active.

Rabbits may feel slightly unwell anyway for a few days after VHD so to combine it with another vaccine would be a bad plan.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your replies. I thought the same. He wanted to do them same day as his neuter! Think I will go to my regular vet, even though they charge way more. Cheers.

Hi, thanks for your replies. I thought the same. He wanted to do them same day as his neuter! Think I will go to my regular vet, even though they charge way more. Cheers.

Whoever this vet is needs telling that his approach is not acceptable.

I think we need to know who this is to be honest to protect any unsuspecting bunny owners from ending up with a very poorly bunny.

So glad this topic has been brought up.

My vets don't vaccinate for mxy and vhd at the same time. :D Worryingly though there is a practice quite near here that does. A few people contact me about their bunnies for one reason or another, and this is one of the questions that gets asked. I do know of bunnies that have been vaccinated at the same time. :roll::roll: So far I haven't heard of any problems but, I definately would not use a vet that did.

I am not a vet but, surely giving a two doses of different vaccinations simultaneously could put put bunnies at risk. :(

:wave: Do you mind if I ask which vets this is? I know my vets does a combo of myxi and vhd injections - I have seen it on the price list on the wall. I always just assumed that they would do them a couple of weeks apart but you had to book them in at the same time to get the offer..... I am now thinking that maybe this is the same vets you use?!

With their dental treatment being so expensive I just take them to whichever vets is doing a £10 offer at the time so I have never actually used my own vets for jabs :oops:

:wave: Do you mind if I ask which vets this is? I know my vets does a combo of myxi and vhd injections - I have seen it on the price list on the wall. I always just assumed that they would do them a couple of weeks apart but you had to book them in at the same time to get the offer..... I am now thinking that maybe this is the same vets you use?!

With their dental treatment being so expensive I just take them to whichever vets is doing a £10 offer at the time so I have never actually used my own vets for jabs :oops:

It is in Worcester. Are you anywhere near here?

I have seen it on the price list on the wall. I always just assumed that they would do them a couple of weeks apart but you had to book them in at the same time to get the offer.

Yes lots of vets do this - my own vet has it listed together on their price list but it is done over 2 visits 2 weeks apart.

As well as the immune overload, manufacturer's datasheets for both vaccines say that there should be a two week gap because the vaccines are not tested for use together so their safety or effectiveness cannot be guaranteed.

I would also not give a vaccination on the same day (or within a couple of weeks) of an operation. The rabbit's body will be busy trying to repair itself after the operation so the additional vaccine will put a lot of extra strain on the body - potentially causing illness and/or the vaccination not resulting in an immune response.

I agree you should look elsewhere :wave: I have had injections done on post-op checks but never on the day of a neuter

When I first got the buns I rang a vets who said they did a 'combi booster' although they never said what it was against :roll: they also didn't know you could neuter a rabbit. Needless to say I never took my rabbits there!

It is in Worcester. Are you anywhere near here?

I'm in Worcester. Was it Lowesmoor vets? I took my bun there last year as it was the easiest to get to by bus and they did both vaccinations at the same time.
Have you heard/tried the vets inside pets at home? It's very close to where we live now and is reasonably priced and open later in the evenings and on saturdays. We are thinking about using them to have our female speyed but don't know anyone who has been there.

some vets let you pay for them together and book them "at teh same booking time" to receive a discount however by no means should they be administered at teh same time a minimum of 2 weeks ideally around 3weeks to give the bodys immune system time to adjust is vital in addition to this you should never give a vaccination to an unwell bunny though im sure there are some people with terminal or long term ill bunnies who can vouch for times they give theres ie i have snuffle rabbits and give vaccinations when not showing symptoms.

Be aware there are different vhd vaccs, think there are now three but most common is lapinject and cyclap the cyclap in some rabbits has shown a limp as side effect and this often worrys owners. i always try and get lapinject personally. vhd is an annual vaccination.

re myxi should be given every 6 months to keep up immunity and should be given 10%into skin and rest deeper there are two ways to do so one is 10% in ear and rest in scruff or can do 10% in scruff then push deeper than skin to put in rest of vaccination as long as vet is competant then either way is fine x

Hi. Decided to use my regular vet. I have got all 3 on a health plan the vets do. It is £16 a month for all 3 and covers them for myxi and vhd jabs, 1 consultation, flystrike treatment, panacur, and 2 nail clips a year. They've had myxi and go back next week for vhd.

Back