• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Mischief's teeth :(

Ok, some of you may know Mischief has been having problems with his front teeth. :( His front bottom 2 grew really long so had to be clipped at start of November, soon realised this was wrong, changed vets and he's had them burred once every month since end of November until today and will probably have to go every month. :cry:

But, his teeth are going crazy :? His top 2 were really short as his bottom ones were so long but then one of the top short ones fell out :shock: Vet has been keeping an eye on it and still no sign. Took him for his bottom teeth burring today and vet only had to burr one bottom tooth as the other has stayed short. :? So he only has one long growing bottom tooth now...

Also, his remaining top tooth is very loose and the vet says he thinks it will come out. :shock: Poor boy is only going to have his bottom teeth unless they come out too. :shock: I guess it would save the price of having them removed if that's what we decided to do. :?

The vet has checked over his back teeth and thankfully *touch wood* nothing is wrong with them. It's just his front teeth. He is still eating hay and his pellets but he can't eat hard veg/fruit so I have to peel everything for him, he has carrot peelings, apple peelings etc, bless him. :(

I just did this thread so people know how my boy's teeth are and he must have a problem. :(

I'm sorry to see this update on poor Mischief. :( He always looks so bright and handsome in the photos you post. :love: He's lucky to have such a caring mummy who does his fruit and veg the right way for him. I wonder what could have caused the problem - just bad luck, maybe. :?

I'm sorry to see this update on poor Mischief. :( He always looks so bright and handsome in the photos you post. :love: He's lucky to have such a caring mummy who does his fruit and veg the right way for him. I wonder what could have caused the problem - just bad luck, maybe. :?

aw thank you, yes he always gets special treatment :love: If I didn't rehome him, he would have gone to the pet shop as the friend him and Tink were from couldn't keep boys only girls as that was how they ended up with the accidental litter in the first place. :roll: Best accidental litter ever though :p So, if he had gone to the pet shop, he could have gone to anyone which means they may not have noticed his teeth problem and he might not have been alive today. :cry: If I didn't notice his teeth, they would have grown way too long and would have eventually killed him. They grow so fast in just one month. :shock:

Yes I think it must be bad luck because it only became noticable in November 2010 and I'd had him over a year with no problems. :? His sister's teeth are fine and it's just him. They are fed a healthy diet with an unlimited supply of hay and have chew toys to help wear down their teeth so I just don't know why it happened to him. :(

I dont know the full history of this M&TM, but is it possible he could have his incisors removed completely, and just be a gummy bunny? :)

Poor Mischief :( it is incredible how fast they grow, they go from being ok to overgrown in a matter of days :? It may be less distressing for him to have them out, than keep backwards and forwarding to the vets every month?

he's lucky to have you looking after him ;)

I dont know the full history of this M&TM, but is it possible he could have his incisors removed completely, and just be a gummy bunny? :)

The vet suggested that but we are leaving it for a while as vet thinks that his other top tooth is going to fall out (one has already gone) which means there is a possibility his bottom ones may come out too. He already seems like a gummy bunny because the vet has to burr his teeth down very low because of the speed they grow. :lol:

Poor Mischief :( it is incredible how fast they grow, they go from being ok to overgrown in a matter of days :? It may be less distressing for him to have them out, than keep backwards and forwarding to the vets every month?

he's lucky to have you looking after him ;)

Yes, we are waiting to see what happens with them as they may all come out by themselves :shock: and thank you :)

I have no idea why Mischief's teeth may be like that but best wishes with him xx He is lucky to have you looking after him xxx

I was also going to suggest having them removed - less stressful in the long run. But looks like you have already talked to the vet about that :)

Do you knwo why they are loose? Anyway hope Jasper isn't too effected by them, atleast hes got you to grate his veg for him, bless :love::love:

Back