• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap dilemma!

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

My vet is usually very good with my rabbit but they want to use cylap for Daisy's VHD jag :?. They claim they have never had any problems with it which i find odd considering the leaflet says up to 50% :shock: of rabbits will have a reaction. They are going to phone me back after they find out if they can order one of the other brands for me.

Am i being paranoid or should i go with my gut instinct and refuse cylap? i think the people at the vet think i'm crazy!

Thanks,

Laura & Daisy

Personally I would never agree to any of my Rabbits receiving the Cylap VHD Vaccine. I use Lapinject and now there is also Anivac :)

My buns have always had Cylap... no reactions either.. (phew)
I didn't know the percentage was so high!!

Do they know about Anivac? I can understand them not wanting to use Lapinject cos they have to use the whole five doses in one day but with Anivac they don't.

I mentioned lapinject and anivac to them. If i was given medication that said up to 50% of people react to it then i know i wouldnt take it so i dont think i should do it to my bunny. I don't really like telling my vet that i know better than them either though!

The reaction is usually very minor and only temporary. If your bun is healthy and you have a choice of Cylap vs no vaccine I would get it done.

Back