• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what point should I start panicking about Honey not eating?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Honey has now been home from her spay for two hours, and has been hiding behind her litter tray all that time :( she's got yummy things next to her to nibble but she hasn't touched anything :( how long should I leave her like that? And at what point do I need to think about syringe feeding her? :(

did the vets give her pain killers? try and tempt her with her favourite treats, or something sot like banana or abit of cabbage/herbs if she won;t touch her pellets

when my bunny was neutered we came home with fibreplex to give him, to keep the gut moving, but he went straight for his supper as males do anyway, females can be alittle quiet after speying

Last edited:
For mine, I personally have never syringe fed. I also go against the grain and I only seek help if they have not eaten by 2pm the next day, unless they look in a horrific state, because of the risk of exaccerbating the situation and stress levels. I'm not suggesting you do that, that's just what I choose to do, knowing my bunnies.

Normally for my girls its late evening they start to eat, and generally its things liek grass, fresh herbs, stuff like that, so I would suggest tempting her with those things too.

I'd expect her to be eating by the morning as long as she has painkillers. If not give the vet a call.

Don't worry too much, a spay is a big op for a bun and the are often out of it for a while.

On Beano's notes from the vet it said ring back if she isn't eating within 12 hours but I would've started to worry if she wasn't eating before that. Beano didn't eat her pellets until a day or two afterwards, she ate hay first then veg. Try sweet smelling foods like herbs, banana and her favourite foods to tempt her. Good luck and I wish her and you all the best xxx Try not to worry, buns usually are quiet after their spay x

She had an injection of metacam and I've got a sachet of supreme science recovery to syringe feed if necessary. I just dont know how long to leave her without eating??? She's got crunchies, normal pellets, yummy oat hay, carrot, spring greens, but isn't interested in any of it :( she's just hiding :(

I agree with Sky - I personally would not syringe feed tonight as I think it stands more chance of creating ongoing stasis through additional stress if they are handled and pushed too much too soon. I doubt you'd feel like eating the evening after you had a hysterectomy, you'd probably just want to crawl into a quiet corner and be left alone - it's pretty normal that she'll be feeling poorly tonight.

I would ring the vets quick before they shut and check that she has been given painkiller, and if she has, just leave her warm and quiet with a bowl of water as well as her yummy foods while keeping an eye on her from a distance this evening, and hopefully by the morning she will have started to pick up :)

For mine, I personally have never syringe fed. I also go against the grain and I only seek help if they have not eaten by 2pm the next day, unless they look in a horrific state, because of the risk of exaccerbating the situation and stress levels. I'm not suggesting you do that, that's just what I choose to do, knowing my bunnies.

Normally for my girls its late evening they start to eat, and generally its things liek grass, fresh herbs, stuff like that, so I would suggest tempting her with those things too.

That's exactly what I thought. Honey hates being held anyway, just picking her up and putting her straight back down again stresses her out :( she's a scaredy bun. I'd feel better if she just came out of hiding and sat on her blankets. But still no sign :(

My girl came home with some fibreplex, I've seen her do a wee but no poops yet I know she has eaten today as she had some food before she went into the vets this morning although it doesn't stop me from worrying.

No, they said it would last a couple of days. I've got some metacam here though that was Olly's...

In my experience it won't last a couple of days. Mine tend to need another dose early the next day and I tend to give it to the for five days.

She probably just needs to hide and sleep off the GA to the honest.

Does she have a snugglesafe or anything in there?

In my experience it won't last a couple of days. Mine tend to need another dose early the next day and I tend to give it to the for five days.

She probably just needs to hide and sleep off the GA to the honest.

Does she have a snugglesafe or anything in there?

How much do you normally give? Honey is 1.7kg. She doesn't have a snuggle safe but she's in the house and she's got a few warm blankets. Do you think that's ok?

If you have a snugglesafe then give her one so she can choose to use it if she wishes.

I would suggest reading the instructions for the Metacam and following that.

If you have a snugglesafe then give her one so she can choose to use it if she wishes.

I would suggest reading the instructions for the Metacam and following that.

I don't have one otherwise she would have it! And when olly had metacam he had about 7 times the amount it says on the leaflet! I'll just have to hope she'll come near me so I can give her some... Thanks for your help x

If she's had pain relief I wouldnt be giving any extra on top.She'll probably start eating overnight and being indoors she will be warm-bunnies can struggle to maintain their body temp after a GA.Just keep an eye that she doesnt become overinterested in her wound and keep licking it

Back