• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Precancerous changes in a 2yr old doe ( Bertha )

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Bertha my conti was speyed today,when I went to collect her the vet came out to speak to me ....he said she had precancerous changes and a lot of fluid in her peritonium :shock:

2 years old seems quite young to me to have that happening so be warned ,having your bunny speyed is definitely a good thing to do.

Last edited:
Crikey! Poor bun, glad you got it done now then.

I guess as uterine cancer in rabbits is highly hormonally-dependent, cancerous changes can occur any time from sexual maturity.....

Pretty scary though.

Crikey! Poor bun, glad you got it done now then.

I guess as uterine cancer in rabbits is highly hormonally-dependent, cancerous changes can occur any time from sexual maturity.....

Pretty scary though.

It is scary isn't it?

I know she'd had a litter before she came to me ,don't know if that makes a difference?

My Vet, who has spayed thousands of Does, has seen an actual tumour in the uterus of an 18 month old Doe :cry:

I hope Bertha recovers well :)

It is scary isn't it?

I know she'd had a litter before she came to me ,don't know if that makes a difference?

I don't know TBH - aren't there links with human breast cancer and pregnancy/breastfeeding? i.e. risk goes down? I figure its because the hormones are being used for something, so not accumulating without result continuously? (so biologically we should all be pregnant or breast feeding all the time.... they tried to tell us that at vet school with a 90% female audience!! :shock::shock::shock::shock:)

So perhaps the risk is lower if they've had a litter? but i dont know if anyone has studied that and I wouldn't go advertising it!

Back