• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on hay, the Ings hay from hay for pets?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

I'm not very impressed with my rabbits hay at the moment, it isn't as green as usual and seems to be very short strands. I try to give my buns the best diet I can so might change their hay. The hay I get is bagged from a pet shop and it is handy because I can walk up to get some more whenever they need it, which is often as they go through a lot. But the pet shop, well it's a garden centre really, stopped selling pets (due to nobody buying them, Beano was there for a while before I got her) so they don't restock the pet stuff often and only have limited suplies. Can anbody reccomend a good hay? Where do you get your hay from and what is it called? Also how much is it as I can't really afford expensive hay :oops:, they do have excel herbage and forage too and sometimes special hay as a treat though.

Thankyou for any advice :)

Last edited:
Hi Liz :wave:

Do you have anywhere you could store a bale? Some people use wheelie bins. This would be the best option as it would allow you to get good quality at the best price :D

Hi :)

No unfortunately, I have a large storage tub for their hay. I'm a bit dubious of using hay from a farm near me after problems with bugs/thorns etc causing problems with my guineas (all sorted now though)

I get the Ings hay from hay for pets, and it's delivered to your door :) I've never seen Oscar eat so much hay either!

I get most of Spenser's hay from Animal Magic Pet Supplies. He's not a great hay-eater, so it might be an expensive way of feeding your two! I give my parents money to buy supermarket meadow hay - this is really his bedding hay, but if you could get a lift to a place that sold decent hay in your area you could stock up. I had to go to an out of the way place that sold various animal feeds (mainly to farms) in bulk to get the food Spenser was originally on, and there might be somewhere similar in your area. :wave:

Have had a look at the Ings hay from hay for pets and that sounds good as it is grown not far from me and the prices seem ok too :) Does anyone else use it and would they recommend it?

Thankyou tiger lily for recommending the Ings hay to me, does anyone else use it and would reccomend it? Just want to make sure it is a good hay before I buy any :wave:

I have been looking at Hay for Pets after reading the other thread. Apart from it seeming quite expensive, I cannot see the delivery cost stated anywhere. You seem to have to put in payment details before a final amount is given. It's a bit of a poor website all round actually TBH. Anyone shed any light on delivery cost and T and C's as this makes a huge difference as to whether it is worth ordering or not?

I have been looking at Hay for Pets after reading the other thread. Apart from it seeming quite expensive, I cannot see the delivery cost stated anywhere. You seem to have to put in payment details before a final amount is given. It's a bit of a poor website all round actually TBH. Anyone shed any light on delivery cost and T and C's as this makes a huge difference as to whether it is worth ordering or not?

The prices shown include delivery x

The prices given for the hay include postage.:) The customer service is AMAZING and I'm going to be using them permanently.

And Liz, I ordered a small bag of the ings hay and my bunnies won't touch it. However, I got them a huge bag of meadow hay from the same site and they ADORE it. It smells incredible, nice long strands and very green. It also has lots of dry flower/leaves in it too, I love it!:D

Yup, delivery included, so it works out pretty good value, since most places charge around £5 for delivery (I think...)

The couple who run it are absolutely amazing, and I will be using their Ings hay from now on, Oscar has never eaten so much before!!

ETA: looking at above reply, might have to order the meadow hay too :D

Yup, delivery included, so it works out pretty good value, since most places charge around £5 for delivery (I think...)

The couple who run it are absolutely amazing, and I will be using their Ings hay from now on, Oscar has never eaten so much before!!

Now I've found hay for pets I almost can't justify using the hay experts any more. The postage is so high I just can't afford it...:(

And yes the owners are wonderful:D My bunnies love the meadow hay but hate the Ings:roll:

Now I've found hay for pets I almost can't justify using the hay experts any more. The postage is so high I just can't afford it...:(

And yes the owners are wonderful:D My bunnies love the meadow hay but hate the Ings:roll:

Will definitely have to try it when the Ings runs out, thanks :)

I was having trouble with paypal so couldn't pay, I emailed the owners and they rang me the same day and got it sorted :D I need to send payment off tonight then can't wait until it arrives :D I've ordered a bag of Ings hay and get a bit of meadow hay in to try too, sounds great so hopefully my two will like the hay then I will be using it permanently I think :D

Price includes delivery - thanks folks, I didn't see that. That makes a huge difference so I may well give them a try.

the willow warren timothy hay is so nice. it is expensive but if you buy a minimum of the two large box deal each time it works out cheaper per kg overall. about £3.22 per kg. (that's with the deivery and two large boxes/14kg, ovbiously they get cheaper if you buy more large boxes at once!)

dust free hay works out at £3.99 per kg at the cheapest price.

the hay for pets is alot cheaper -

cheapest price per kg ings hay is £1.68
cheapest price per kg soft meadow hay is £1.57
cheapest price per kg timothy and rye is £1.57 aswell.

i used to buy all dust free hay but the quality hasn't been as good lately. the willow warren hay is amazing! but obviously too stalky for the piggies bedding so i'm going to try switching them over to the hay for pets soft meadow hay. i think the ings hay would be fine for bedding aswell, although the bunnies didn't like it. matt liked the timothy and rye though. :)

try the willow warren hay though, it's so stalky and lovely!

the willow warren timothy hay is so nice. it is expensive but if you buy a minimum of the two large box deal each time it works out cheaper per kg overall. about £3.22 per kg. (that's with the deivery and two large boxes/14kg, ovbiously they get cheaper if you buy more large boxes at once!)

dust free hay works out at £3.99 per kg at the cheapest price.

the hay for pets is alot cheaper -

cheapest price per kg ings hay is £1.68
cheapest price per kg soft meadow hay is £1.57
cheapest price per kg timothy and rye is £1.57 aswell.

i used to buy all dust free hay but the quality hasn't been as good lately. the willow warren hay is amazing! but obviously too stalky for the piggies bedding so i'm going to try switching them over to the hay for pets soft meadow hay. i think the ings hay would be fine for bedding aswell, although the bunnies didn't like it. matt liked the timothy and rye though. :)

try the willow warren hay though, it's so stalky and lovely!

I had no idea that DFH was so expensive!

I love that hay for pets works out so much cheaper and the buns love it too. I hope our buns don't eat them out of hay!!:lol: I normally buy 4 large boxes of willow warren hay in one go and it's roughly around £70 which always seems expensive but it lasts for ages and I don't know if it's just luck but blackberry hasn't needed teeth burring for 6 months since I started her on willow warren :D

The replacement hay arrived very quickly, and as promised (personal delivery!) It is of absolutely brilliant quality,and I shall definitely be ordering more:D

I have just seen the delivery cost included bit - think I may try them myself!:D The postage really does bump up the price.

Back