• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

white discharge from nose?

breeze

Mama Doe
does anyone know what this is?talking to a mum at school and her rabbit has this thick white discharge coming from nose and gets the occasional bit in corner of eye.she rang vets and they said shes probably irratated by something but this doesnt sound right to me?:?

Needs to see a vet. Respitory problems are so varried it would be impossible for a vet to comment without seeing it. Bunnies suffering from respitory infections can go down hill very quickly. Bluebell has been on meds for about 2 months so far for his infection.

Sounds to me like she either hasn't really rung the vets, or spoke to the receptionist who didn't know what they were talking about, or they're a hopeless practice! You'd have thought they'd at least say "you'd better bring the bun down so we can take a look".

White discharge would normally indicate infection and should be seen by a vet ASAP as these infections can become chronic extremely quickly - or indeed spread to the lungs and cause acute pneumonia - if they are not treated quickly and aggressively to start with.

thanks,i was thinking pasturella but havent a clue what that looks like.going school in a min so willl collar her

thanks,i was thinking pasturella but havent a clue what that looks like.going school in a min so willl collar her

Ginger has pasteurella. She had clear discharge, and after Baytril it didnt change and actually became worse. She's now been on depocillin for 6 weeks and Cilomax eye drops at the same time, after advise from the lab who did the C&S test.

Its possible. If you do come into contact with the bun make sure you disinfect yourself before going back to yours just in case

Back