• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get another bun?

KB26

Young Bun
Hello everyone :wave: I've not posted for a while, hope you are all well.

We've had Chesney for almost a year now and he is our pride and joy :) During the day he is in a 7ft x 4ft run (indoors) and in the evening he free ranges round the flat.

He seems happy but I'm concerned that perhaps he gets bored when we're not there. He has lots of chew toys etc but after reading all the info here about how bunnies are better in pairs (I did not realise this when we got him :oops:) we're considering a bunny addition to the family.

My problem is we can't extend the space by much, perhaps another foot wider so it will be 7x5ft, so is that big enough for two buns? And - more importantly - I know the bonding process could be lengthy.

Can anyone advise if you think I'd be better to leave him as he is (like I said, no outward signs of unhappiness at all - he is very active and loves to run about and chase my OH down the hall!) or should I consider a friend for him?

Thanks in advance.

(PS I tried to search for 'bonding' in the threads but it kept saying I was answering the random question wrongly. The Q was favourite animal and my answer was rabbit!!!!)

x

I think it depends if you're out most of the day on a job. As for bonding, the best way seems to be to take your bun to a rescue and let him have a choose of the bunnies around rather than you choosing. A male-female neutered pair is easiest. A lot of rescues also offer bonding support.

I think 7 x 4ft is adequate space depending on the size of the buns of course though if they get free rein when you're home the space seems (to me) fine. Have you considered adding a 2nd floor? Or do you not have the vertical space?

I would get another......:D
But i would defo go to a rescue to help bonding ect. That way if it doesnt work youe always got there back up, and you wont be left with 2 single rabbits.
Where abouts are you? Maybe there is a rescue on here thats near to you. :)

Thanks for replies :) Adding on another level isn't really an option with our set up I'm afraid but Ches is a small bun.

I'm in Glasgow - not aware of any rescue places here?

xxx

We are a rescue center in falkirk and I would do any bonding you need done here. Give me a shout if you want to talk about this

Back