• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gabby's being spayed and mama's worried

Hello all..I am new here but have been lurking for about 2 months now. Our little Netherland dwarf female is being spayed in the morning and I have been reading up on it..and I am sooo worried !!! We have a clean living cage for her and she has the run of the house from the time I get up till we go to bed. Her food is on the second level of her cage..should I take that level out so she does not get hurt hopping up? Also we use a litter box in her cage, should we use something else? I am so scared for her. My husband and I both love her so much and would be crushed if anything happens to her. I have read here where some people "syringe feed" them through the night..should I be prepared for this? OMG I am so worried. The reason we are doing this is because she seems to have developed a little attitude, biting..grunting..etc. I hope we have made the right decision. Thanks for listening.

Gabby's mom

Hi Gabbys mom, I am new to this too, and I am getting my two young boy buns neutered tomorrow as well. With regards to the shelf I think its best that all the food is on ground level because she might pull her stitches trying to stretch to her food. As long as the vet gives her enough pain meds I reckon she should be fine, but she will understandably be a bit lethargic and maybe off her food for the next day or too...good luck and hope gabby is ok :)

Also I would add that I think spaying/neutering is always a good idea evenif just from a health point of view as it reduces the risk of cancer etc later on in life x

Awww, I remember the feeling all too well and Bubbles was spayed about 2.5 yrs ago. :oops: You are doing the best thing for her - she will be much happier without her hormones making her moody, and it will also make her much more enjoyable to be around too. :thumb:

I think it's best to remove the second level for a good week or two afterwards, to prevent her from injuries.

I still let Bubbles have her litter tray (but it was a low fronted one) and used shredded paper instead of hay for a few days so it wasn't so harsh on her spay wound.

Gabby might not want to eat much on the evening of the op; try to offer as many tasty treats as you can - fresh grass, herbs, veg etc (assuming she already eats those, as new foods should be introduced gradually). If she still hasn't eaten by the following morning, then I would advise calling the vet as it may indicate she's in pain and needs more pain relief.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes. :D

Aww I know it's always such a worry when they have to have anything done, and more so sometimes with neutering as they are going in completely healthy so it's harder than consenting to an operation that is absolutely necessary there and then in a way.

I think having everything on ground level is a good idea, we've not had Jess spayed yet as she was too small last year then it was winter but she is getting done in the next 6 to 8 weeks so I've all this to go through.

all I know is that after the anaesthetic it is really important they are kept nice and warm and start eating again as soon as poss, hence why some people syringe, but with Joe I found a selection of nice wet herbs tempted him where his usual nuggets, hay and veg didn't.

Good luck with the op, you are doing the right thing ;)

Awww thank you all for responding..I will remove her feeding platform and I will also put shredded paper in her litter box. We are so happy to have our little girl in our lives and my husband just ADORES her. She is pretty spoiled and has several little "huts" and toys all over our home. She has a habit of chewing on the corners of our walls and base boards and I have been so surprised to my husbands response, or should I say lack of lol. Other than that she has bought us so much joy and she really is very funny with all the jumping and binkying going on.
I will keep you posted on her progress and will check in to see how your little is doing Deeds 14, thanks again.

I had bunny number 11 neutered two weeks ago and it never gets any easier, I always worry like mad.

The most important thing is to make sure your vet gives suitable pain relief. Ideally they should also give you some to take home so you can administer it yourself if needed.

Its also good idea to have her favourite foods in so you can tempt her to eat post op. None of my bunnies have had any interest in pellets until at least the following day, but can normally be tempted with fresh grass, dandelions, herbs or greens.

My bunny Honey has been spayed today, I was worried sick like you! But they've just rang to say she's ok and they're trying to tempt her to eat now... I've taken the next couple of days off work to look after her! She's going to be pampered! My bunnies are my babies :love: I'm sure Gabby will be fine, will be thinking of you both! Good luck x

Hello all..I am new here but have been lurking for about 2 months now. Our little Netherland dwarf female is being spayed in the morning and I have been reading up on it..and I am sooo worried !!! We have a clean living cage for her and she has the run of the house from the time I get up till we go to bed. Her food is on the second level of her cage..should I take that level out so she does not get hurt hopping up? Also we use a litter box in her cage, should we use something else? I am so scared for her. My husband and I both love her so much and would be crushed if anything happens to her. I have read here where some people "syringe feed" them through the night..should I be prepared for this? OMG I am so worried. The reason we are doing this is because she seems to have developed a little attitude, biting..grunting..etc. I hope we have made the right decision. Thanks for listening.

Gabby's mom

You absolutely made the right decision and it's natural to worry. My bunny Princess was spayed a few months ago and myself and my Fiance were very worried and did lot's of reading up online. I didnt have to syringe feed Princess as she was eating a little and also drinking water, however sometime bunnies after the op don't want to eat at all, hence the syringe feeding.

When you get Gabby home she will probably just want to be on her own for a while so just make sure you have a nice quiet environment for her and tempt her with her favourite 'treat food', Princess' was banana.

The success rate of the operations is exceptionally high so have some comfort in that and also in the fact that your doing the best thing in her long term health.

Hope all goes well !

My bunny Honey has been spayed today, I was worried sick like you! But they've just rang to say she's ok and they're trying to tempt her to eat now... I've taken the next couple of days off work to look after her! She's going to be pampered! My bunnies are my babies :love: I'm sure Gabby will be fine, will be thinking of you both! Good luck x

I did the same thing when Pixie was spayed and took some time off work to be with her, I really don't think I could work knowing my little beauty was having her op. People think I'm mad when I say my buns are my darlings and I wouldn't be without them :love:

Pixie was fine after the op although a little woozie but was begining to eat (just a little bit) that night before I tucked her in for the evening, I'm sure Gabby will be fine :wave:.

Just dropped off our two boys, sergeant and bishop, at the vets for their neutering...hoping they are ok! Let me know how gabby gets on :)

hello deeds, we just picked gabby up from the vets...she looked like she had been crying and I felt like crying too until the vet told us they put drops in her eyes, lol. We have all the special treats for her and have tried to get her to eat something but no luck yet ( we've only been home for about 15 mins ). We did get some pain meds for her from the vets office. They all fell in love with her and when we got there she was wraped in a pink fleece baby blanket with a little butterfly on it and they said they have been taking turns holding and cuddleing her. I will keep you posted on her progress. Thanks again everyone for all your caring replies, we are very lucky to have such helpful bunnie friends. :love:

Hi Gabbys mom, the boys have been home for a few hours now, and bishop looks the same with eye drops, so glad you cleared that up for me! Sergeant is up and around and eating but bishop is still sleeping and he appears to be fussing with the wound but I cant tell if he is just licking them or not..? Hopefully he will perk up to by tomorrow. It is quite worrying watching them sleep all the time and not eat but I know is normal!

Just thought I'd put out an update...Gabby appears to be feeling a LITTLE better this monrning but she has still not eaten anything yet except for just a little nibbling on some hay. We have all her favorites but she just does not seemed interested. My hubby and I have an appt. today and will be gone for about 4 hours, yikes!!!! We have pain med. for her and the vet said to give it to her in the afternoon, we will be gone so will give it to her before we leave. I also plan on calling the vet this morning about the not eating..she is drinking plenty of water though. How are your little boys doing deeds? Hope they are well, keep me posted.

She might benefit from a gut stimulant so mention it to the vet when you speak to them but its good she's nibbling some hay, thats something at least. Has she been to the toilet?

They seem to be doing fine. Sergeant is much perkier than Bishop, but I have seen him eat some pellets and some hay so that is fine, the only concern I have is that I have not noticed that any of their water is gone...I will keep an eye on that and they have a check up appointment tomorrow with the vet anyway so I can ask them about that then. I think it is normal for Gabby to not want to eat anything for a day or so, I think you just have to keep trying, and keep an eye on her.

We had a massive fright last night when we thought Bishop was tugging at his stitches, and then we saw a big patch of red next to him...but them he moved and it was a bit of apple! lol

Amy, gabby has gone to the bathroom but just pee as far as I can tell..we moved her litter box out ( because she had trouble getting into it ) and put shredded newspaper in that corner for her so It's hard to tell if there are poopy's there. OMG deeds that is to funny, bet you felt better when you saw it was an apple!! Thanks again for all the care and ideas.

Just a quick update, the boys are both eating and pooing which is good, but the don't seem to have touched their water and this worries me a lot. They also look completely miserable! They won't come up and greet us and kind of sit listlessly in the cage...is this still normal?

Deeds, Gabby was like that also ...we just got home 6:30 pm and she was very slow but make no mistake about it she was glad to see us. She has also started eating, first carrot tops and then she went for her pellet treats. She has drank a LOT of water, she has never drank from a bottle, she prefers a small dish and has for as long as we have owned her. She is very slow though which is understandable and her incision look good. YEAH..I don't know what we would have done if anything had happened to her..we love her so much and it is such a relief to see her out and about again. Thanks all and deeds maybe if you try a small dish for the water it might help? I hope that your boys will back to normal soon so that "mama" can stop worrying.

My girl Tigerlilly was also spayed a few days ago and she only started to eat alittle from her food bowl yesterday I have been seryinge feeding her for the past few days which I haven't really had to much trouble doing and she has been eating the odd bit of bramble, right now she is sitting in her cage giving herself a clean.

Back