• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should The Vets Be Free?

Should The Vets Be Free?

• Yes

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 56 69.1%
  • Other

Votes: 13 16.0%

• Total voters
Should or animals have free veterinary care or should we have to pay for their care?

I can't make my mind up on this one, one half of me say's yes the other no:?

No - who would pay for it? We chose to have pets so we chose to pay bills!

I voted no, for sense reasons.

It wouldnt be financially viable. Who would fund vets?

cheaper yes, free no :wave: someone has to pay the vets to work :wave: but I dont see why one place can charge say £60 for a dental and another can charge £120 :? especially when the rabbit savy one is the cheapest ;)

I can't see how they could be free, given that the government already struggles to pay for the NHS for us humans. How would it be funded? :?

Why should it be free?

The question should be: should we have pets at all? Especially if we can't afford the vet fees?

The only pets that should be free and probably are, are guide dogs, because people depend on them. No one else needs to have a pet, they get them because they WANT them. Just like a car. And you pay the garage if it needs repairs.

Of course the animal shouldn't be made to suffer, if the owner can't pay the fees, it should still get treated.

i don't think it should be free but I think that it should be cheaper. ours keeps going up in price and if two cats take bad at the same time (when the 3rd is already on lifelong medication) its quite a lot of money!
i know the medication needs paying for but consultation charges keep getting worse and worse and it just seems more greed for the money :roll:

I think my pets should have free vets treatment - they are my children and other peoples children get free nhs treatment and family allowance

I think its unfair to make it free, given that funding would be from the government, and our taxes. I have loads of pets, and always will I hope, yet some people will never want pets, but would still pay taxes. Some vets are overpriced, but I dont see how making it free would be doable.

If it was free (and, like others, I would ask who on earth is going to pay for it), then wouldn't it just encourage hoarders? Those who already hoard animals but can't really afford to get veterinary care for them would just be given a carte blanche to take in even more animals. It would be a recipe for disaster IMO.

If it was provided free on the state, then we'd still be paying for it anyway because it would come out of our taxes. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and there's no such thing as free petcare either!

In theory, yes. I find it very hard to think that some animals will go without medical treatment because their owners think it isn't worth the money but I guess that's really down to the owners as there's always the PDSA.

I guess it's like private healthcare, we pay for our vet treatment and a lot of us have tried out a few different vets to find the right one. If it was free you wouldn't really have this option and be stuck with what you're given and probably have to put up with lesser treatment. You couldn't really fight for some of the drugs we get that aren't technically licensed for bunnies as if it was free you wouldn't have the same options/liability you have as a paying 'customer'.

I think my pets should have free vets treatment - they are my children and other peoples children get free nhs treatment and family allowance

But other people's children grow up to become adults and (hopefully) productive members of society where they keep the economy and the pensions pyramid going. Pets are purely for our own self-gratification. My pets are also my children but I don't think the state should pay for them.

Yes I would support an NHS for pets type situation. It would have to be paid for by introducing a new tax on pet keepers per pet or an extra tax on pet food. Possibly with compulsary pet licencing at the same time.
It won't ever happen though.

If it was free then I wonder if, like in America, people would be limited on the animals they could keep on one property.

I think idealistically it would be wonderful if it was free, but realistically its not realistic.

But other people's children grow up to become adults and (hopefully) productive members of society where they keep the economy and the pensions pyramid going. Pets are purely for our own self-gratification. My pets are also my children but I don't think the state should pay for them.

Exactly. Although my bunnies are quite productive in the fertiliser business. :lol:

I agree with the others.

It shouldnt be free, but cheaper. Some prices are far to high.

I agree with this, I think a lot of vets are money grabbing. The vets I used to use (and still use in an emergency) advised me to get Zero's toe amputated - a £150 op. I went back to my current vets and he said he'd do it cheaper but it didn't need doing anyway as it was only a fracture and the toe was already healing. It does sicken me to think they are putting animals through unnecessary operations. But not all vets are the same

If it was free then I wonder if, like in America, people would be limited on the animals they could keep on one property.

Some councils here already limit the number of animals in a property (council owned properties not private homes...although lots of people have covenants re. keeping animals in their house deeds) :wave:

Back