• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prickly bits in the hay will they harm the bunny

I had these in our meadow hay.

I took them out, although im sure the buns would have been okay.

Just wont run the risk.

I found a stick covered in thorns yesterday in my hay!! I know what you mean! I normally take them out, but sometimes you get the spiky bits that aren't thorny, and I find that the buns go for those first, so must like them!

I can pick bits out of the hay that I know each bun will like!

I tried to pick them all out too, its impossible as they are so tiny.

Thanks for your answers

Last edited:
I'm always finding weird and wonderful things in hay :roll::lol: I wouldn't worry too much just take out what you can, I think most of it is just natural plants that's been harvested by accident along with the hay, they would encounter them in the wild anyway :wave: always best to get out what you can just to be on the safe side though

I think ours has thistle flowers in (yet to find any thistles though so maybe they aren't :lol:) and the buns love them.

The only thing I have taken out of their hay was half of a field mouse.:shock::shock: Hadn't thought about sharp bits given how much they love eating roses!

Back