• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and Pet Insurance

clarebear

Mama Doe
Can you claim on your insurance for neutering? Was reading a book last night and it seemed to suggest you could. :?

no, i certainly wouldnt think so. Certainly not with Pet Plan.

It's not an illness thats being treated, its a 'non essential operation' i think its treated as :?

I didn't think so somehow! Just looked through my Pet plan documents and I could see anything. Thanks.

most pet insurance has a claus where you have to have the pet neutered and be on top of vaccinations for the insurance to be valid
(or so i was told)

The only way I imagine it could be is if it was an essential operation, eg spaying a doe with uterine cancer or castrating a male who had some awful injury?

no it's 'elective surgery'. You can claim if you had complications afterwards though, I had no bother with PetPlan when I claimed for Jasmine and Daphne's post-spay mishaps :wave:

You can't claim for a routine neutering.

You could claim if the neutering was necessary for treatment of a disease, eg uterine cancer and the VET says it is necessary.

You may be able to claim for complications that are related to the neutering.

Thanks for all the answers. I didn't think it would be, but thought I'd check! My Pet Plan says that the rabbit has to be vaccinated against VHD and Mixi, which he is.

Back