• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

100% Hay Diet?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
After a few incidents of Marvin breaking out of his room and tearing appart his food bag he has managed to put on a lot of weight in the past couple of weeks and I think it's time to put him on a diet!

So I am thinking I will feed both Marvin and Maisie hay in the morning, then seperate them for their later feed and give Maisie some pellets and them just give them both hay.

So my questions are:
Is it okay to just feed hay?
Will Marvin lose any weight on a hay diet or is it still possible for him to gorge himself and still put on weight?

He is so food orientated that even hay excites him and he'll try and eat the whole lot as if it's going to run away if he doesn't :roll:

Thanks everyone :wave:

You have to wean him off slowly. A spoonfull a day is what my vet recommended when Dawn was on a diet, plenty exercise and a spoonfull a day made her loose a healthy amount of weight in a healthy amount of time :)

One of my bunnies is on a 100% hay only diet due to caecum problems... she is doing very well on it. My vet says she can stay on 100% hay all the time if it is what suits her best. She is a nice healthy weight.

You have to wean him off slowly. A spoonfull a day is what my vet recommended when Dawn was on a diet, plenty exercise and a spoonfull a day made her loose a healthy amount of weight in a healthy amount of time :)

Okay, he is perfectly happy just eating hay however so do I still need to wean him slowly? It's hard having two rabbits and needing to diet the one, but perhaps a spoonfull a day will work better than just hay.

Over the next week or so just start slowly cutting down the food, first weight how much you feed him and cut it down by 10% each day.

Hay diets are perfectly fine, its exactly what a rabbit would eat in the wild remember:wave:

All four of mine are on all hay diets and they are much healthier now compared to before with the pellets in their diet.

I could hand feed them but they would definitely need to be seperated as they would just barge through and try and eat each others share :roll:

Yeah I had that trouble with my two. In the end, I put Delila on the bed and give her a little pile and then give Ogs some food on the floor :lol:

Its really important to wean them slowly because very rapid weight loss can cause a build up of fat around the liver.

I've had bunnies on 100% hay (with a few dried herbs). Neither of them lost weight on it, but they were good hay eaters.

Back